Crash logs and solutions

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
AJ031
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Crash logs and solutions

Post by AJ031 »

This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know how to get the crash report, or where it is. The file "Crash.log" which I assumed would include relevant information has nothing in it (or am I looking at the wrong "Crash.log").

The problem is as such, (for Galaxies mod 0.3.0a 1920x1080 version where I got it from the 2.0.0 installer released 7-10-2020):
I can start a game and progress until it will crash during the "Turn" phase when the AI is doing it's thing.
No matter what this crash happens even if I load saves from several turns prior, its always the same thing eventually it crashes. Though once the game starts no matter what save file I load from it crashes on the exact same turn. If however, I start a new game it will crash on a different turn. Trying it a few times it crashes somewhere between turn 130-200+.

TLDR: Where do I find the crash log?
If the crash log is the log file "Crash.log" and it has nothing within what does that say about the type of crash?

Thanks!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

AJ031 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know how to get the crash report, or where it is. The file "Crash.log" which I assumed would include relevant information has nothing in it (or am I looking at the wrong "Crash.log").
no you are looking at the only and correct crash.log, but the problem is when the game is as heavily modified like galaxy mod the rarely creates a crash log.

I have notified Tethys about your error, but not sure when he will have time to look at it.

you can also try the test version 2.0.1 installer (it has latest version of galaxy mod)
viewtopic.php?p=54512#p54512
AJ031
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by AJ031 »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 pm
AJ031 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know how to get the crash report, or where it is. The file "Crash.log" which I assumed would include relevant information has nothing in it (or am I looking at the wrong "Crash.log").
no you are looking at the only and correct crash.log, but the problem is when the game is as heavily modified like galaxy mod the rarely creates a crash log.

I have notified Tethys about your error, but not sure when he will have time to look at it.

you can also try the test version 2.0.1 installer (it has latest version of galaxy mod)
viewtopic.php?p=54512#p54512
Don't worry about it, turns out it was a corrupted save (or I'm 90% sure, which in my books is close enough to 100% sure).

Though there were warnings all over the place, I disregarded them and kept on over-righting a save file over and over again until it got corrupted corrupted. (which explains why every save file had the same crash date, as once the error was introduced it was game over.

I have successfully tried a few games where I made it to turn 200+ (one game where I made it to 300+), where as prior I could not make it much past 130, sometimes it would crash even before. I also tried one game where I would save and load numerous times, however each time I saved would be a new save file, I also made it past turn 200.

Right now after I play I plan on deleting all but the last save file (never over-righting a prior save) and copying the original 0kb save files back into the directory. I did some testing, it seems that this is unnecessary, it seems like I could just delete the files and save in the blank spots (a new game0, 1, 2 etc will show up). Is this necessary?

TLDR: Save file was corrupted by not following proper save protocol.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

thunderchero wrote: Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 pm RF gave me a crash log from UDM latest version 3.0.1db, this crash happens during recloak of a ship.

Version Under Test: 72
File: tcmath\tcmath.c, Line: 34, REAL_GE_ZERO(value)
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 3
Starting Seed: 1335727061
Galaxy shape: 0
Galaxy Size: 1
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 63

any ideas?

thunderchero
I have been running into this crash in MUM in large combats lately.

if I lower agility crash is less frequent
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I just want to document this crash log here. I am currently investigating the subroutine responsible for the log's creation.

Log:
-------------------------------------
ST:BOF Wed Sep 20 08:18:51 2023

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\ui\tactical\objview.cpp, Line: 1648, 0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 1694763578
Galaxy shape: 3 Galaxy Size: 1
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 209
I think it's trying to say there are no viewable objects in this tactical combat. Perhaps another overflow of some kind?

Subroutine 49EEE0

I think I know what this is... It seems one or more of the model attributes may be messed up or malfunctioning in GALM. Tactical combat is having trouble with viewing one or more objects, or there is another model conflict of some sort.

Causes:
*speculative* Editing the number of torpedo/projectiles on a ship. Relatable items = "hull->hitPointMax > 0", "hs.hob", "cphoton.hob", "t06_wkk.hob", ship hobs via default identifiers (cl2.hob etc), esp+1D0h+empireId, TCInfo_528BA0.
Solution:
No solutions as of yet (you must AUTO the tactical combat should this issue arise). Scrap the problem ships and rebuild them anew, or leave them out of the battle if they are useful otherwise (Raiding for example).
I have some hunches, such as ship scales vs camera; it's entirely possible the camera is scaled as well. It could also be related to edits made to the game. But I will continue to examine the code so I can find out for sure.. luckily I've been frequent with IDA for the last few years disassembling another game; Bridge Commander; so I know more what to look for and how to use IDA in a more effective way. Bridge Commander's camera frustum scale is tied into the viewed model's scale, and is calculated/possibly recalculated several times before the final result... But enough about that, back to the BotF code now...
Last edited by Tethys on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:10 pmFile: ..\..\source\ui\tactical\objview.cpp, Line: 1648, 0
Looks as there is something wrong with hob object sub-slots or related trek.exe hob slot values.
It fails to create a dynamic entry since all possible slots are used or the counts are off.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:45 pm
Tethys wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:10 pmFile: ..\..\source\ui\tactical\objview.cpp, Line: 1648, 0
Looks as there is something wrong with hob object sub-slots or related trek.exe hob slot values.
It fails to create a dynamic entry since all possible slots are used or the counts are off.
I have noticed tethys modified a few ships slots to get all the models he uses in game.

I would guess issue is something like this, hob file has 6 hardpoints while trek.exe hob slot value is set to 1
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:55 pm
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:45 pm
I have noticed tethys modified a few ships slots to get all the models he uses in game.

I would guess issue is something like this, hob file has 6 hardpoints while trek.exe hob slot value is set to 1
Yeah, I did some weird things such as this. I am giving serious consideration to attempting to standardize the hobs and give them 1 phaser only and deleting the rest.. every ship with 1 phaser. It's possible to reduce overall crashing perhaps? I will have more investigation when I get home from work.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

By the battle log, this crash is related to the dominion battle ship:
viewtopic.php?p=21475#p21475

I don't think you need to fix all the ships. When the exact issue is found, maybe I can add an integrity check.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:33 pm By the battle log, this crash is related to the dominion battle ship:
viewtopic.php?p=21475#p21475

I don't think you need to fix all the ships. When the exact issue is found, maybe I can add an integrity check.
I must have overlooked or forgotten about this. I will see if perhaps replacing the model with a known working one will do the trick.. fingers crossed

Update: So I just played 10-15 battles against Dominion only, it's not their ships causing crashes. It's the Klingon ships I edited mid game. I am now over 50% confident it's a ship stat/edit problem. Trying to narrow it down, I know I adjusted the torpedoes count of some ships. ObjView is very likely wondering where the torpedoes have gone. Or came from. But I also edited some hull stats perhaps (big no no that I forgot about) but the crash log for hull stat conflict its not this crash log. This is something else. So I am thinking its the torpedo objects. I could try replacing the stats, if I only remembered what they were...

Torpedoes restored, but the issue persists. Battle is 3 way; Klingons and I are affiliated, lots of ships, one Dominion TT. Here is a crash warning:
botf.png
botf.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Post Update Update: So I did not start new game yet, but no fleet of ships themselves seems to cause the issue. When I introduce my 4th fleet to the battle (group of 9 TT IIs) the game actually hung up and did not crash as usually. Black screen, had to kill by process. Strange, very strange. The TT II fleet itself works fine... The TT II fleet is the issue in this case. Now that I have narrowed down the ships (previous test involving TT II worked fine but this particular fleet may have been active before stat changes) I can perhaps narrow down the cause of the crash log :D Removing the added torpedoes now.

I will have to start a new game and run further tests. :(

Issue has been resolved. A few follow up tests though, just to be sure.

Cause: Altering the number of torpedoes a ship can fire, or removing the ship's phasers; without starting a new game (continuing a saved game). Also can be cause by leaving a torpedo accuracy or torpedo damage value present in the stats.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tethys wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:33 pm Cause: Altering the number of torpedoes a ship can fire, or removing the ship's phasers; without starting a new game (continuing a saved game). Also can be cause by leaving a torpedo accuracy or torpedo damage value present in the stats.
:up:
Sounds like I need to add some savegame integrity check then.
I wonder what savegame stat values are affected. :roll:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:15 am I wonder what savegame stat values are affected. :roll:
More testing would be needed, but I think it's definitely the torpedo side of things. I traced back the error to a section dealing with %cphoton.hob and other hobs, some I did not recognize (ie. t06_wkk.hob). I DID however, test the accuracy value without a projectile and it was a spotty crash scenario. Sometimes it will crash first turn, other times a few turns in, other times will play through all the turns.

Someone should test if removing the entire phaser array, or adding one to say.. a non combat ship.. maybe there is another error/limitation of on the fly editing.

Perhaps, for UE, some Pakled-proofing can be added to where if there is a 0 number of phaser or projectile, upon saving changes, it should automatically zero out those items (accuracy, damage).
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

I doubt this special case is related to saved games, but rather one of these:

From the codes I recall there is two possible issues:

- If a ship/station/monster has ANY weapons the unused firing arc (aka false beam-min-range - now used for aft torpedo patch) mustn't be 0!

- If a weapon number of shots is not 0 then the weapons' max range mustn't be 0! (this might lead to above crash)

-> One of the on the fly edited ship with weapons added might still have max range 0 :?:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:01 pm - If a weapon number of shots is not 0 then the weapons' max range mustn't be 0! (this might lead to above crash)

-> One of the on the fly edited ship with weapons added might still have max range 0 :?:
1. Correct, and I have noticed that you can have a phaser with 0 damage and 0 accuracy. Not sure about torpedoes (something to test one day, thats not today :P)

2. This is a thought yes, perhaps and likely. And I think that it could be a save game thing too though, since the new attribute(s) in trek.exe is not being transferred to the save game.

Perhaps a conditional integrity check for UE, save game files that just addresses abnormal stat changes and fixes them in the most simple manner (could grab ALL saves and apply automatic)? There could probably be a better way of doing it though; through the relocation table, properly, using the save load subroutine structure and triggers, analyzing how ships are generated to the map when built (which stats dynamic/static), a trek.exe check would probably be best, to write the new ship stat data to the save game file directly, bypassing UE intervention.

Test all ships against shiplist.sst, if mismatch, then do: load values from sst, transfer values to ships in save game file, integrity check to make sure none are missed, save and exit. I am also using 18 task patch still, but I doubt this has any bearing on the ship stats. I think just matching the save game files' ship stats with the ones in the sst file will do the trick. The trouble is, it is not my AOE.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Tethys wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:48 pmAnd I think that it could be a save game thing too though, since the new attribute(s) in trek.exe is not being transferred to the save game.
There is only GShipList and starbaseInfo for shiplist.sst attributes in saved games. Weapon data is not stored, only current hull points (plus for some reason shields for ships/monster only - for an unfinished feature I guess).
And the production value/10 for TT ground combat (hence editing shiplist.sst doesn't work for TTs in the map).

So no need to waste the time of Flocke to investigate this. :wink:

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”