Merry Christmas (we have presents)

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Merry Christmas (we have presents)

Post by anjel »

the same happened to me the first time when playing udm301da, went directly without playing a turn to the tech section to take a look at the ships, clicked on the second in the list and had a crash (went to desktip), second time i went there and nothing happened all played smooth. And the ships looks incredible amazing.

this is the crash log:
ST:BOF Sat Dec 31 16:32:41 2011

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\universe\readrace.c, Line: 257, 0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 1325367161
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2

And this is from mpr++:

Engine destruction:
Destructing GuiSystem..
Destructing InputSystem..
Destructing Main Window..
Destructing GraphicSystem..

:mrgreen:
Last edited by anjel on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live long and propser
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

as to first crash log from BOTF.

this is due to I am pushing limits on race placements and game was unable to place race = crash

as to the other please edit your post only last line of ogre or MPR++ log is needed.

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Army37 wrote:Ok....well the ECM 1024 doesn't work....when I try to launch the game it states that c:\windows\trek.exe cannot be found.
I tried it with and without the 800 resolution mod and nothing...there's a path problem somewhere.
sounds like a path problem yes but was ECM full version already installed before running ECM 1024 patch?

thunderchero
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

thunderchero wrote:
Army37 wrote:Ok....well the ECM 1024 doesn't work....when I try to launch the game it states that c:\windows\trek.exe cannot be found.
I tried it with and without the 800 resolution mod and nothing...there's a path problem somewhere.
sounds like a path problem yes but was ECM full version already installed before running ECM 1024 patch?

thunderchero
ECM was already installed the first time I installed the ECM 1024 patch....and it remained like the original ECM no change at all.
The ECM 1024 has a path problem but I don't know where the files got installed.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Army37 wrote:ECM was already installed the first time I installed the ECM 1024 patch....and it remained like the original ECM no change at all.
The ECM 1024 has a path problem but I don't know where the files got installed.
since it was already installed it sounds like your registry for ECM has been edited or you were using older version of ECM (other than version 2.0) but at this point I am just guessing.

thunderchero
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Tried installing the 1024 res for vanilla and AAM, they both run, but they both are going off screen - ie: they are 1024 res but in a 800 size screen... I installed these on unedited install from the vanilla and AAM mod latest install from this site, any ideas? I also then tried to install the other MPR graphics engine, then the game simply opened in a window that auto re-sized itself, would not go away, and would not fit the whole screen in any case.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Vladimir wrote:I also then tried to install the other MPR graphics engine, then the game simply opened in a window that auto re-sized itself, would not go away, and would not fit the whole screen in any case.
it should only auto-resize when you try to increase size above available desktop space. And by default adjust to fixed window aspect. To go fullscreen, use f8 key.
As for 1024 -> 800, sounds like the patch tool copied and executed by 1024 installer didn't run or got prevented to fix trek.exe, maybe by a security program. :roll:
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Something I did not consider is I am running it on a laptop with a widescreen ratio... The vanilla automatically adjusted and stretched the screen to fit (ie: adjusted my overall size down) ... My desktop size is 1280 x 800, maybe this is causing an issue? Also I should have nothing that would prevent anything from installing outside of AVG, and it should ask before blocking anything - however if you think this could be the issue I could try disabling it temporarily. I will try uninstalling and re-installing in the meantime and see if it helps.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Vladimir wrote:My desktop size is 1280 x 800, maybe this is causing an issue?
No, that should not be an issue. I'm sure your trek.exe was not updated right, why so ever. :roll:
You'll have to talk thunderchero on this I think.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Vladimir,

maybe some screenshots might help just to see the results you are getting. I might also need to look at your trek.exe to see what changes were made if any. just a few questions for now

1. what install path are you using?
2. did you close the command prompt while it was installing?
3. what operating system are you on?
4. are you trying to install more than 1 installer at a time?

thunderchero
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Thunderdhero, in answer to your questions:

1. what install path are you using?
D:\GAMES\BOTF (Not the default, I know, but no spaces - I thought spaces in the file path were what caused issues... The patcher appeared to be following this path as well, and since the end result was the image did in fact change size, I would think it found the path from the registry...)
2. did you close the command prompt while it was installing?
No. I waited through until the finish screen with check box prompt to launch game appeared (both times, as i did it for Main and AAM).
3. what operating system are you on?
Windows XP-Pro.
4. are you trying to install more than 1 installer at a time?
No. Per above I did each one separately and completely before starting the next.

I also hit f8 key as suggested, and achieved the same result, ie: they are 1024 res but in a 800 size screen. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions, I have not had time to re-install everything yet. Thanks.
EDIT: As for screen shoot to see what I am getting, imagine the initial game screen, and imagine only seeing about 60% of the overall image, starting in the upper left hand corner. In other words, losing the right hand side and very bottom of the image off screen. If you still want a screenshot I will see what I can do.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

ok just from your description it is not editing trek.exe with proper code changes. :?

next "run" regedit.exe from run command in start menu.

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: BOTF

and look at install path and comfirm it matches the path you are using also check for any duplicate entries for Star Trek: BOTF.

What I do not understand is it found path to edit stbof.res but not the trek.exe (your trek.exe is in correct location?)

Also make sure you are using latest download from download section. not older test versions in my 4shared.

thunderchero
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Checked Registry: InstallPath = D:\GAMES\BOTF
version is 1.0.2
and: trek.exe is in D:\GAMES\BOTF
And just to be sure, this is the multi installer, downloaded from your sig link/this site, with no editing, and then patched with 1024_res patch.

EDIT: Also, no duplicate entries, just the entries for the mods I have installed.

EDIT #2: I just re-installed. First I uninstalled all of the main multi, then re-installed vanilla/1.0.2 from your site, most recent. I re-installed to the same place. I ran it once to make sure it was working, title screen loaded, I exited and patched with 1024 res patch. It found the D:\GAMES\BOTF fine, as noted in the command log. Once completed, for chits & giggles I clicked on the box to launch directly upon closing finish screen. I received an error that trek.exe could not be found in C:\windows\botf or something - important factor, it stated C: drive not d: drive, so maybe everything did not install to d: even though it detected it. I will uninstall everything again and let it all re-install to default location and update...

EDIT #3: Ok, first - after a completely new install, into default directory at c:\botf, and then patching with 1.0.2 1024 res patch, I clicked on the box to launch directly upon closing finish screen. I received the same error that trek.exe could not be found in C:\WINDOWS\botf (Yes, it did say Windows, which is not even where it installs it...) HOWEVER - This time it loads up fine, I can see the main title screen and options fine now, and they appear to be in the upgraded resolution. Therefore I have to conclude either the patch does not work if the main installer is installed on another drive other then C: or if simply not in the default install directory of C:\botf.
Love to know if you feel like fixing it so you can patch it no matter where it is installed, thanks for your time and assistance.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Ok Vladimir I was able to duplicate your problem.

first I have removed option to run after install (from installers) The reason why you get that message (trek.exe can not be found) is the installer does not know install path. A bat file that the installer copies to temp folder is the file that checks install path.

But I also found when installing on a different drive for some reason the installer was quicker than the bat file that edits the trek.exe. :? So I added a 10 sec sleep before the edited trek.exe is copied to install path.

So sorry to ask but could you try once more. I have uploaded a new installer here.

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewd ... ls&lid=198

Also the other 1024 installers have been replaced (to other who have already installed without problems no changes to files so no need to reinstall)

thunderchero
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Not a problem, I appreciate your time with this. I uninstalled everything and started over, re-installing to D:\GAMES\BOTF - Success! Version 1.0.2 is now 1024 x 768 on D:. Next I re-installed AAM, to D:, and applied your upgraded patch, this one is still providing the exact same result as I was having before. The title screen image is going off screen and is therefore unplayable (or even exit-able short of alt-tab'ing to desktop and shutting down via task manager).
If you applied the same changes to both patches, I have no idea why one is working and the other is not...

EDIT: BOP 1024 patch is not working either, it is behaving exactly as AAM patch above.
Last edited by Vladimir on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”