One per empire

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
G_Trex
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

One per empire

Post by G_Trex »

Hello everyone. First post here, so my apologies if I put it in the wrong place or anyhitng like that.

I am working on creating my own mod, and was hoping someone could me if it's possible to apply a 'one per empire' setting to ships.

For instance, rather than just build galaxy class ships, you could also build one enterprise.

Thank you in advance for any help.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: One per empire

Post by thunderchero »

this was attempted in Flagship mod

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=733

this is not easy to do and is flawed.

thunderchero
G_Trex
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by G_Trex »

Thanks for the quick response! :)

I tried it and in principal, it works, even if many of the problems in your thread are still there.

Judging by what I can see in Ultimate Editor, am I right in thinking the game can only have a max of 5 special ships? If so, do you know if anyone has managed to change this?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

It has been almost 3 years since I have even looked at this mod, I don't think "special ships" ended up as part of final code changes. I think I changed the starting ship (free ship given at start of game as flagship)

thunderchero
G_Trex
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by G_Trex »

Do you remember what you had to edit to change the starting ship?

I'm still working out my boundries before I fully decide what my mod will be. I'm considering a star wars converstion for the empires, races and ships. Ideally I would like a handful of unique ship units per empire. Do you think that would be possible?

As an alternative, would you be OK with me using your flagship as the basis of my own (with credit to you of course)?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

With some of the recent code finding for starting ships what you want might be possible, but a handful of different ships would be tough to do and still be able to build any other ships.

As to what I changed it was mainly text changes in lexicon and shiplist and moved ships so they were not buildable (on build list) Then just a few hex changes to change what starting ships were given.

From what you have discribed so far I don't feel using flagship mod as your base would be best option for you. If you still wanted to use part of it as a base you would need to contact me via PM to see what files you could use. I think best option would be for you to start from vanilla.

thunderchero
G_Trex
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by G_Trex »

Thanks again for all your help.

Now that you've pointed me in the right direction I'm finding more threads to help me out. I'll see how far I get in the next few days.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

just an idea but, if you have the codiung skills you could try changing the starting fleet from finding by class and maybe use exsplicit ship ID from the shiplist? The if you wanted you cold give any type of ship as a special to any player. set up a minor race ship ID which is a cloaking defiant and give one to the fed? thus can't be built but the fed but could thgey could have one?

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”