Add new Buildings (UE) ?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Telarius
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Add new Buildings (UE) ?

Post by Telarius »

Hello Guys

I really like all the very good mods for botf for example AAM, UDM etc. . So I tried to build my own mod and I start with chancing/adding new buildings. :mrgreen:

I have a problem with the "Add" Building Button in UE. Actually it seems imposible to chance a lot of options in the buildings stats menü. So I searched our forum to find an answer, but sadly I really could find one that helped me. I did every thing I found, switch the option "Enable experimental features" on, I added Building to the end of the list, I tried to add buildings in the vanilla game and 3 or 4 mods, but it ends all the same. I made my chances in UE and start a new game. But its always the same I cant build them, there only in the encyclopedia. Even if I only chance stats like the tech lvl from 3 to 1, nothing happens in the game. I also tried different UE version, from the first one when the option to add buildings was available to the last one.

What am I doing wrong? Has somebody encountered the same problem and can help me? UE is an amazing tool, sadly it seems I am to stupid to use it :P
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Add new Buildings (UE) ?

Post by thunderchero »

yeah you are missing a few things

1. after adding or editing any building you need to go to edit/starting conditions/starting technology. then "auto set all"

2. next go to edit/ AI/AI building requiremnets and add the new building for population and energy requremnets

But also keep in mind there are reasons why this is an experimental function.

thunderchero
Telarius
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Telarius »

Hi thunderchero

I did what you said and it work, its so amazing :D

thank you so very much for your time and quick response.

I hope if I encounter another problem I can ask again.

thank you once again

-Telarius-
Kojote
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kojote »

Hmm... Somehow I can't get that working.
I tried to add a couple of additional buildings to UDM. At first I added them somewhere in the list. Mostly on top. I didn't know that this would mess up the whole order of buildngs and the savegame I tried to load after that looked actually REALLY strange.
Then I searched arround a bit and found the line 'at the end of the list' here. So I tried that and at least didn't mess up the save. But the one building i tried for testing purposes refuses to show in any build list.
Interestingly I couldn't add it in the ai building requierements list, because it was already in there.

Is there anything else to do except adding the building (choosing one as a 'template' resembling the one to add - in my case the Utopia Planitia, because I wanted to add a shipbuilding facility for aligned minors to use), give a name (and optionally a description, set the stats and do the steps 1. and 2. mentioned here?

And apart of that: Is there any manual or something like that describing the features of UE 0.7.1b?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

adding new buildings is very buggy (will cause errors) since not all code locations have been found for all special buildings.

I think you may need to use the dev version of UE to add buildings.

also changes will not work on saved games.

plus you will also need to "reset all" building in starting conditions/starting technology

And for giving to "aligned minors" The AI ignores such setting so AI will build everywhere.

thunderchero
Kojote
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kojote »

thunderchero wrote:adding new buildings is very buggy (will cause errors) since not all code locations have been found for all special buildings.
Like the higher starting experince for ships build on Zakdorn, huh?
Understood.
thunderchero wrote:I think you may need to use the dev version of UE to add buildings.

also changes will not work on saved games.
So no modifying a running epic game this deep on the fly...
I'll live with that and think about making 'my own UDM' with the dev version. Thanks for that advice!
Modifying the stats of already existing buildings seems to work, though.
thunderchero wrote:plus you will also need to "reset all" building in starting conditions/starting technology
That's also nice to know... :wink:
thunderchero wrote:And for giving to "aligned minors" The AI ignores such setting so AI will build everywhere.
It does? Cheating lil sucker... :roll:
So changing something like the Benzite bonus building away from 'once per empire' would lead to having the one ai empire with the Benzites outrpoducing everybody else? Or does the restriction on who is allowed to build something (like only Benzites in this example) actually make a difference?

Thanks for answering so fast!

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”