Multiple Upgrade Options

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Multiple Upgrade Options

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

This ever been tried? Were you have the Destroyer I, but depending which research you take first, decides which your fleet is automatically upgraded to? ie.:

Destroyer I - Tech 1 or 2 to start with
Soyuz - when you upgrade weapons first 2 levels above Destroyer I.

Rollbar Miranda - Computer, Construction and Weapons one level above.

but you can still build either soyuz or 'normal' miranda. just an idea I'll test out now.
Thunderchild
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Multiple Upgrade Options

Post by Thunderchild »

Yes, it has been tried (by me a few years ago) and it is working:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1328&p=18737&sid=7 ... 36d#p18737
Thunderchild wrote:I have some ideas that may be interisting for some modders here and that i want to share:

1. Upgrade your starbase:

For this you have to use normal "build a starbase"-function from the game. You handle them both(outposts and starbases) as one station and make no diffrence between them. Than you build a normal outpost. The Upgrade for it have to be a starbase(now outpost II). When you research outpost III(again a starbase) you use the autoupgrade function from the game to "upgrade" the starbase "outpost II" to an outpost "outpost II" so you can upgrade it with a trooptransport to "outpost III".

2. different upgrades for the same ship

You can have different upgrades for the same ship if you set different techlevel for them. Example:
Galaxy I 7/8/8/7/8/7
possible Upgrade1 Galaxy II (maybe Venture-Refit)9/10/10/9/10/9
possible Upgrade2 Galaxy-X 10/9/9/10/9/10
This way you can choose how your already existing ships are upgraded. The other Version that you haven't choosen is available too when researched, but have to be build new. You can combine this with different stats for the different techs, maybe stronger weapons for advanced weapontechnology, stronger shields for advances in energytech and so on.
I write this because i hate it when in UDM my akiras are upgraded to prometheus' and so i can decide to upgrade my akiras to version 2 and build new prometheus-class vessels while others can upgrade to the prometheus-class. :D
I think you can use this for different starbases too, if the starbase with the lower id(which would be the standard modell) is researched later then the second version with the higher ID(which would only be buildable as long the other version isn't researched). But i haven't tested it yet.

Your own flagship in Singleplayermode:

Set the namegroup from the shipclass your flagship should be to 0 and edit the name (original "UPN INVALID")to whatever you want. If you have build your ship save the game and reset the namegroup so that the class uses its normal names. The namegroup 0 has the advantage that there would not appear an A, B, C ... behind the name. So you could build your USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E for example :wink: This will only work for singleplayer-games because in a mp-game all would have to have the same shipname.bin .
adi
Commander
Commander

Re: Multiple Upgrade Options

Post by adi »

Thunderchild wrote: I write this because i hate it when in UDM my akiras are upgraded to prometheus'
Me too that's why in my version Akira is the top tier strike cruiser; it had all those torpedoes in the weapon pod anyway. I swept it with the steamrunner model.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”