will there ever ba a slow turns fix

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
icelord
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: will there ever ba a slow turns fix

Post by icelord »

Did anyone ever make any progress on this my turns are now at like 10 min so its way past not playable now

would love to give you my save game but its a modified version of UM5

already managed to fix combat turns by cutting phasers and photon numbers to 1 and using the multiplier to get the damage to be the same but the turns in the map part of the game are just getting insane
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

icelord wrote:Did anyone ever make any progress on this my turns are now at like 10 min so its way past not playable now
You can think of it 2 ways,
1. "not playable now"
2. you are playing so good, and that is why AI is taking so long to complete turn.

but no fix for this issue, some testing was done some time back, but had no usable results.
lloki777
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by lloki777 »

Has anyone ever tried capping the ships to say 100 per race?

My thought is it could be done via the Dilithium shortage mechanism. Basically once 100 ships is reached then the Dilithium mechanism would go to -1 not permitting any more ships to be created until some get destroyed.

Thoughts?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

lloki777 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm Has anyone ever tried capping the ships to say 100 per race?

My thought is it could be done via the Dilithium shortage mechanism. Basically once 100 ships is reached then the Dilithium mechanism would go to -1 not permitting any more ships to be created until some get destroyed.

Thoughts?
simple answer, The AI would ignore it since the AI cheats on just about every restriction. example it will build without dilthium, does not pay ship maintenance ect.

also it is not only how many ships on map causing turn processing to be so long. basically it is everything the AI does. Any time the AI needs to make a decision on what to do, the AI will simulate each possibility, but between each possibility clear the memory then reload memory. When this game was created average system memory was 256mb and they did it this way so it would never run out of memory.

If you really want to avoid long turn processing play smaller maps so game ends quicker.

Sad thing is most of the modders changes was to make larger fleets, larger maps harder AI for longer games. And this just ended up making turn processing worse.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

Just as a test I played UDM III
max tech (tech 9) all races
normal map version
irregular
medium galaxy size (24 x 12) 1366 x 768
impossible
many minors
playing as Klingons

The game went 254 turns before I was able to conquer all major race systems. My longest turn processing time was 15 sec.

At one point I had 180 command and 75 destroyers 90 troop transports,
Cardassins had 90 command 75 scout/destroyers plus unknown tt and colony 12 systems
Feds had 120 command 100 scout/destroyers plus unknown tt and colony 18 systems
Dominion had 150+ command 75 scout/destroyers plus unknown tt and colony 20 systems
Romulans had 75 command 50 scout/destroyers plus unknown tt and colony 15 sysytems (they had already had major conflict with Dominion)

At one point after just eliminating the Cardassians, all remaining race declared war on me and mounted a group assault on my fleet and systems. I had to go on defensive for over 75 turns before I had enough strength for final push. To me that is the boring point when nothing can touch me with 1-3 system assaults per turn. lol

thunderchero

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”