EDO Guardian CTD.

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

EDO Guardian CTD.

Post by jonesie85two »

Hello, I have changed the Edo Guardian to a Cardassian starbase. I also changed the Edo species to Bajoran. An idea i got from playing UDM3.

I have an issue: When in 3D Battle with the edo guardian/nor station if i do not target each fleet involved manually the game will CTD upon pressing turn. If i target the EDO/NOR manually the game continues as normal. The error message is posted below. I have searched for this issue on the forums and came across this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=29642&sid=f713c7b4e6884 ... 07b#p29642

I am curious if this is an actual fix and what part of it will be best. If there is no fix, how do i revert this issue? Should i reinstall the EDO guardian?

ST:BOF Mon Dec 31 18:39:53 2012

Version Under Test: 72
File: ai\assault.c, Line: 562, entity->ship.shipData.targetIsEntity
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 3 Starting Seed: 1356979031
Galaxy shape: 1 Galaxy Size: 2
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 1

Thank you for your patience.

PS. In the error message it says 'turn state'. is this how many turns have passed? Im curious if 20 means 2?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: EDO Guardian CTD.

Post by thunderchero »

just wondering what prefix are you using on nor station as monster "cs"?

If so this could be the cause, you need to use "t05". so you have to import nor station twice. once as card station cs_a.hob and once as monster t05_a.hob.

BTW turn state "20" = combat

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote:just wondering what prefix are you using on nor station as monster "cs"?

If so this could be the cause, you need to use "t05". so you have to import nor station twice. once as card station cs_a.hob and once as monster t05_a.hob.

BTW turn state "20" = combat

thunderchero
Hi, thank you for taking the time t post a reply. I appreciate it.

I currently have 2 terrok stations. the cardassian station is I_5_ and the monster station is t05. Both are using the same model (from the udm3 shippack). I got the idea of using the nor station as a monster/edo from udm so i ran a test with teh udm 3.0.1 db. running the same situation as i stated above udm suffers a ctd also. I have lost hope in fixing this bug/issue as i thought even the founding fathers of botf modding havent been able to fix it.

This sounds rude but i need to ask. Are you sure you have fixed it. If you are sure then i have to start thinking abut what my computer system may be doing to my botf install.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

jonesie85two wrote:so i ran a test with teh udm 3.0.1 db
I also ran test on UDM 3.0.1 dc with same crash. surprised no one I can remember reporting this.

But I did take a look at code. I am limited here so only testing and someone like sct looking at it will confirm this is correct. But in my tests it worked.

Note; the changes to value is combat.mnu dependent.
so check the combat.mnu in use to determine what value to use!!!!

If you are unsure how to read combat menu start with 09 test if crash stops leave at 09. if crash continues increase to 0A (UDM value) and test repeat until correct value is found.

below is for ECM3.0

Code: Select all

at 0x167085  08 -> 0A this will change pointer of the position in combat menu for Group hailing frequency.
Now I have never seen this crash log yet
ida database wrote:entity->monster.monsterData.targetIsEntity',0

I think this is for solo command (I am leaving this unchanged untill confirmed) this maybe for if monster is attacking edo when member?

at 0x16713e  08  this will change pointer of the position in combat menu for solo hailing frequency?
Good luck

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote:
jonesie85two wrote:so i ran a test with teh udm 3.0.1 db
I also ran test on UDM 3.0.1 dc with same crash. surprised no one I can remember reporting this.

But I did take a look at code. I am limited here so only testing and someone like sct looking at it will confirm this is correct. But in my tests it worked.

Note; the changes to value is combat.mnu dependent.
so check the combat.mnu in use to determine what value to use!!!!

If you are unsure how to read combat menu start with 09 test if crash stops leave at 09. if crash continues increase to 0A (UDM value) and test repeat until correct value is found.

below is for ECM3.0

at 0x167085  08 -> 0A this will change pointer of the position in combat menu for Group hailing frequency.
Now I have never seen this crash log yet

ida database wrote:entity->monster.monsterData.targetIsEntity',0

I think this is for solo command (I am leaving this unchanged untill confirmed) this maybe for if monster is attacking edo when member?

at 0x16713e  08  this will change pointer of the position in combat menu for solo hailing frequency?
Good luck

thunderchero
I have followed your example posted above. i changed the value in trek.exe at 0x167113e to 9. It works. I have noticed that because i have changed outposts to starbase that ships are quite abit closer to the starbase than norm (not sure if edo has a value like that).

Anyway, my observations.

Start FIGHT with the edo. i hit turn right away. without giving a shipan order. My fleet (1 dreadnaught, 1 cruiser, 1 strike, destroyer, scout and troop transport) my ships circle the station perpetually intill they are so close that when i set the ships to attack theyare so close that the edo could not fire. I used UE to set all starbases to haev 0.0 min range (phaser and torp). now the edo has actually fire at an aggressor. however, there seems to be a blind spot. directly behind the edo/ds9 model.

Anyway, ive run 8 combat playthroughs in 3 different scenarios with and without edo supporting minor race ships. No CTD's. Thats some great work. Thank you for fixing tis bug.

- attack/wait/attack
- no order/ no order/ no order (no shots fired)
- no order/ no order/ charge (blind spot issue)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:I also ran test on UDM 3.0.1 dc with same crash. surprised no one I can remember reporting this.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1112&p=35160&hilit= ... ity#p35160
(ok it doesn't read monster.monsterData but ship.shipData but it's pretty close and related)

great you found a solution for this nasty bug :up:
though it's probably just a partial fix as same bug occures e.g. for maintained commands with no target (in multiple race battle I think you can encounter this)

when you closely read SCT's edo post he linked above, you see he already implied to choose a different default than charge/assault ( which is what you did when I got this right - but I only read and found this due to your 'easy' fix :grin: ) :
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:
  • even if the first-turn default command in tactical combat requires a target then ships won't fire at the Edo God (i.e. one can move to a dead angle behind the monster to kill it with a single ship resp. do "Edo training" without cloak ability). For the "charge & assault" commands this unchanged first-turn command bug leads to a crash:

File: ai\assault.c, Line: 562, entity->ship.shipData.targetIsEntity

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”