Need help with mem leak issue?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Need help with mem leak issue?

Post by Flocke »

botf was made in a time there were no multi-core processors on market so they didn't bother much on it
explorer.exe on the other hand occasionally might interfere with some file access or services
so yeah both might help a bit - sometimes
but usually stability issues with botf come from other sources and the game can be played pretty stable without such adjustments

for mpr++, multithreading generally is adviced to enable, but sure there might be some conflicts with threading too
it's always more reliable to restrict computation to a single core :roll:

what graphic cards and os do you have and did you test your modifications for stability all by single?
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

My test systems are a laptop and a netbook. Laptop graphics card is 2GB GeForce GTX 485M, netbook is having Intel GMA 3150. Laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit while netbook is running Windows XP 32-bit. It seems that shutting down explorer.exe helps marginally but the main stability improvement comes from using single core for both computer systems. Both are running multi-installer with mpr++ and UM4.

Also, what do you mean by single? Single player? Yes, I've tested all with single player games. Single core? Yes, I've restricted them on both of my systems to only using one core.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

by single I meant does restricting on single core have same effect on vanilla botf for you or is it bound to mpr++ or other changes / mods?
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

I have not tried restricting to single core for vanilla botf but I can try later in the day when I'm home. I will keep you updated.

Tested only on single-core, results:
vanilla multi installer - stable (100 turns in, no crashes)
vanilla multi installer + UM4 - stable (100 turns in, no crashes)

I think the problem of stability for mine lies with MPR++ 0.2.5. Then again I like it for the performance boost I get during tactical battles as well as overall game performance. :)

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”