Fact checking on ship stats

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
jinks67
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Fact checking on ship stats

Post by jinks67 »

Forgive me if I've missed the info somewhere but I don't see any explanation of how "rateOfFire" in tevent.txt is produced or how it is used. I'm doing some tests trying to figure it out, but if someone already know please let me know :)

Edit:
Findings so far.....

[rateOfFire] is inversely proportional to [attNum]. The reciprocal of [attNum] is multiplied by another mystery number to get [rateOfFire].

Example cases from tevent.txt taken from same battle:
USS Thalestris fires beam on DSS 007A-00210 at range: 1800.00
DSS 007A-00210: HP: 152/152 Shield: Strength: 237/243 Lev: 0 Replenish: 24
USS Thalestris: HP: 494/494 Shield: Strength: 1010/1010 Lev: 0 Replenish: 101
MaxRange: 1800.00 attLev: 200 attNum: 6 attMul: 1 attStr: 30
Shield Penetration: 0 rateOfFire: 43690 numFired: 6
Target Defense Level: 74
Hit probability: 108.0%

USS Colossus fires beam on DSS 007A-00210 at range: 2754.06
DSS 007A-00210: HP: 152/152 Shield: Strength: 243/243 Lev: 0 Replenish: 24
USS Colossus: HP: 970/970 Shield: Strength: 1620/1620 Lev: 0 Replenish: 162
MaxRange: 1800.00 attLev: 200 attNum: 14 attMul: 1 attStr: 60
Shield Penetration: 0 rateOfFire: 18724 numFired: 14
Target Defense Level: 74
Hit probability: 98.0%
[attNum]ˉ¹ * (x) = [rateOfFire]
or written as: (1/[attNum]) * (x) = [rateOfFire]

In these 2 example cases (x) = 26143 so...
14ˉ¹ * 262143 = 18724.5

or written as: (1/14) * 262143 = 18724.5

and

6ˉ¹ * 262143 = 43690.5

The result is truncated to a whole number, not rounded.
[rateOfFire] does not change during battle, so the mystery number doesn't either.

I don't know where 262143 came from but separate ships of multiple types in the same battle shared the number, I'll do some more experiments tomorrow.

These things do not enter into the equation of the mystery variable:
Any stats of the defending ship, including any distances.
Beam Strength
Attack Rating
Hit Probability
Attack Multiplier
[numFired]
Command used in the battle screen
Attacking ship type (e.g. Command, Strike, Destroyer)
Any defensive stats of the attacking ship (hull/shield/agility)

~~ Ok that random number seems to be a constant? Just tried the test again, One Fed Command ship vs one dominion colony ship. The same number was used by both even though I changed the tech level of both races.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

in vanilla, destroyes played a big part... with huge hull and shields for heavies, in udm and other mods, battle time has increased but destoryer don't survive long. I think increasing damage dealt by destoyers by 15-20 % and increasing their agility and defence, would make a difference. I miss destroyer in udm for sure. or else, make them cheaper to mass produce hordes... raider 2 in vanilla could destroy fed dreidnaught one vs one, but perish from ram from cardassian destroyer. there is no such thing in udm and i miss this. vanilla had it right
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
jinks67
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by jinks67 »

I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts on how the ships should perform. I'd like to see the destroyers at least last longer personally. Preferences aside...

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of how the stats are actually used in combat. It would be easier to modify the stats to taste in this way than blind trial and error plugging in numbers over pages and pages of entries.

Thunderchero: I wonder if I'm chasing down numbers that have already been figured out? I read all of the forum links you provided and used the search function quite a bit. After a tonne of reading I haven't seen any reference to rateOfFire or even that much on the contents of tevent.txt.
I read your post about wanting help with shiplist.sst values... I've never used a hex editor so I wouldn't be much help. I'll download one and play with it next week, I am getting curious. In the meantime I've been working on a way to parse all relevant data in the tevent.txt file into a .csv file. From there it could be imported into a spreadsheet. From there I could investigate further what impact the numbers in the entries actually have on hits, misses, and damage done. There are obviously some things that are not recorded in tevent.txt... Like combat orders for example.

Hopefully the results are helpful somehow. If this stuff has already been figured out I'd sure like to see the findings. Thx.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

jinks67 wrote: I wonder if I'm chasing down numbers that have already been figured out?
maybe a few but for the most part these values are hidden in assembly of trek.exe.

I sent you a PM with more info.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

jinks67 wrote: In the meantime I've been working on a way to parse all relevant data in the tevent.txt file into a .csv file. From there it could be imported into a spreadsheet.
Did you got the spread sheet of the parsed tevent.txt yet ? If not i may have a bit of time to fill the next two days so please send me (via 4shared since now you have an account :)) a standard tevent.txt file and i'll see what i can do to make it friendlier.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

jinks67 wrote:Forgive me if I've missed the info somewhere but I don't see any explanation of how "rateOfFire" in tevent.txt.
I got a PM from SCT and he gave me some info on "rateOfFire"
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:RateOfFire = [reversed exp level * 65536(aka 2^16)] / phaser(plasma) shots(aka attNum) rounded down

-> lower value can shot first/next, monster/stations have special code, phaser + plasma weapons is bugged
thunderchero

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”