Research breakthrough empty popup window bug (german version only)

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Research breakthrough empty popup window bug (german version only)

Post by EnPhreg »

there is a bug in the german version with the popup windows you get when you finish a tech level.
normally you see the techfield description and below that desc. a short note (Allows:) showing what new stuff can be build now.
but in the german version of the game, several popup windows show only a short message about scientists made a breakthrough in research (message -> lexicon entry 511). i could observe this behavior for construct. tech level 2 and for weapon tech level 2 & 3 (i didn't checked all tech levels) i interchanged an english trek.exe with the german one and if i take the english one, the bug didn't appeared anymore. so my conclusion: it's seems that the different tech levels have their specific popup messages assigned separately anywhere in the trek.exe? and some tech levels in the german trek.exe have a wrong assigned message (-> lexicon entry 511 instead of their correct tech level desc.)?
was already looking around in the forum and the trek.exe to find out how the messages are assigned or simply where this code is stored in the .exe, but had no luck.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Research breakthrough empty popup window bug (german version only)

Post by thunderchero »

I can tell you where it is located 454E2E
that location call lexicon entry 511

but I am also interested in what you were testing on vanilla or mod?
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

EnPhreg wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 am in the german version of the game, several popup windows show only a short message about scientists made a breakthrough in research (message -> lexicon entry 511). i could observe this behavior for construct. tech level 2 and for weapon tech level 2 & 3 (i didn't checked all tech levels)
I play the german version for many years. As far as I observed only the 3 breakthough messages are empty.
thunderchero wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:15 pm I can tell you where it is located 454E2E
I know how to use a hex editor, but I don't know how to read hex codes and how to repair them.
Would it repair the messages if I copy the hex codes of the english version?
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I think my [English] version only announces what tech breakthrough was made, I have to goto the science screen to look at what said breakthrough allows you to do.
It's been a while since I played, and I'm waiting on new carpet with most of my computers boxed up. I've got my Win10 computer hooked up to the television in the other room and using the wifi feature for the first time (it's a desktop, my best laptops run Windows XP).
The carpet was supposed to be here yesterday, but it's been delayed because somebody at the company warehouse got COVID and it's quarantined.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

the original (vanilla) 1.0.2 and All in One trek.exe is the exact same English vs German, so error might be in techdesc.tec translation. or incorrect text offset of techtree.tec?

also it might be a GUI issue, not enough space for translated text so it does not display properly?

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”