Disable additon of ships scan strength?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Disable additon of ships scan strength?

Post by Kurn »

Hi community,
is it possible to disable the addition of ships scan strength?
If I remember correctly, it was not shown in Star Trek that a group of ships had a better scan strength than one ship (in TNG redemption it's just an experimental sensor net between many starfleet ships).
When the scan strength additon is deactivated, it's impossible for ships to detect cloaked ships like in the series.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Disable additon of ships scan strength?

Post by thunderchero »

Kurn wrote:is it possible to disable the addition of ships scan strength?
I don't understand, if ship was alone it has same scan strength as in a group. the group uses best single ship scan data.

are you wanting it to use lowest scan strength? or just never be able to see cloaked ships on map or in combat?
Kurn wrote:When the scan strength additon is deactivated, it's impossible for ships to detect cloaked ships like in the series.
that is the problem with cloak in general, if this was true any race with cloak technology would have such an advantage in war they would never lose.

example, they would just build unmanned cloaked missile ships to destroy anything.

in combat I would like to see, on first turn if cloaked only have 2 possible commands (retreat, or de-cloak) since in star trek ships must de-cloak before firing (expect one Klingon prototype). but current AI would not be able to handle such a change.

thunderchero
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Disable additon of ships scan strength?

Post by Kurn »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 am I don't understand, if ship was alone it has same scan strength as in a group. the group uses best single ship scan data.
this is unfortunately not the case in e.g. vanilla, ecm, uncivil wars and galaxy mod. you have a ship with e.g. scan range 3, means scan strength 15-10-5, but two ships with scan range 3 have scan strength 30-20-10, three ships 45-30-15.

which version do you mean?

thunderchero wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 am are you wanting it to use lowest scan strength? or just never be able to see cloaked ships on map or in combat?
I want that the group uses best single ship scan strength.
thunderchero wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 am that is the problem with cloak in general, if this was true any race with cloak technology would have such an advantage in war they would never lose.

example, they would just build unmanned cloaked missile ships to destroy anything.
in TNG "face of the enemy" the romulan commander says that star systems of the federation have the ability to detect cloaked ships.
thunderchero wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 am in combat I would like to see, on first turn if cloaked only have 2 possible commands (retreat, or de-cloak) since in star trek ships must de-cloak before firing (expect one Klingon prototype). but current AI would not be able to handle such a change.
in some episodes e.g. VOY prophecy or ST3 cloaked ships have the advantage to fire first.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”