Some quick questions

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Red10
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Some quick questions

Post by Red10 »

Hi, like many of you on here I have had this game since release and still to this day hold it up as one of the greatest games made.

I've recently got back into this game after moving house and uncovering the old cd, a quick search online for some info about windows 10 compatibility pointed me to the All in one installer, (absolutely epic work in this I must say!) that in turn pointed me to the UE, which then opened the door to tweaking and playing around.

My problem that i seem to have, is if i start my own Mod, from Vanilla, are all the relevant patches and fixes already installed to that game?

Also, i have friends who are over the moon this game is still getting support and haven't yet installed the game bar 1, (the others are waiting on me to tweak it etc), If i mod anything with UE, which files are being Modded? Just the relevant .exe and botf.res file? So can i assume i just copy these to their PCs and hey presto all is good?

Thirdly, I'm struggling to add the NX01 model to my game, I've searched alot but cant seem to find what to do if the ship i want to add it to, like the scout, has a different phaser amount etc? I see some have 12 phasers? I seem to be deleting the original model when i import.

Also, as the Mod UM5 is a great piece of work, can i tweak it further for just me and a few friends? Or should they literally tweak it themselves copying what i have done (im not planning in anyway of creating a mod that it would be put online etc its just so we can play)

This leads me to the final question, ive tried with the one freind who has installed it to play via game ranger, with dxwind etc, but when i tested playing UM5 with no tweaks at all, when he presses new multiplayer game, botf locks up, the mouse moves, but nothing else? have a missed a step?

Many thanks in advance for any help at all.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Some quick questions

Post by thunderchero »

Red10 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm are all the relevant patches and fixes already installed to that game?
vanilla; depending on install tasks selected only a few get installed, mainly cosmetic patches except "hob fix"
(hob fix is a newer patch and most mods do not have it applied, so installer has option to add this patch)
tasks.jpg
tasks.jpg (87.88 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Red10 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm Also, i have friends who are over the moon this game is still getting support and haven't yet installed the game bar 1, (the others are waiting on me to tweak it etc), If i mod anything with UE, which files are being Modded? Just the relevant .exe and botf.res file? So can i assume i just copy these to their PCs and hey presto all is good?
yes this will work, (if mod edited, files need to be added to same mod)
but also UE keeps track of files "UE" edits (other/files/list of modified files) to decrease files size. but edited files would need to be added with UE on other systems and if trek.exe edited it would need to be copied.
Red10 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm Thirdly, I'm struggling to add the NX01 model to my game, I've searched alot but cant seem to find what to do if the ship i want to add it to, like the scout, has a different phaser amount etc? I see some have 12 phasers? I seem to be deleting the original model when i import.
when adding extra ships it may require replacing/renaming prefix of the original ship as well, since phaser slots are so limited.
here is a tutorial, if you have not already used it.
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... s-using-ue
Red10 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm Also, as the Mod UM5 is a great piece of work, can i tweak it further for just me and a few friends? Or should they literally tweak it themselves copying what i have done (im not planning in anyway of creating a mod that it would be put online etc its just so we can play)
personal use, edit mods how ever you want, and share as you please with your friends. just don't offer it openly
Red10 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm This leads me to the final question, ive tried with the one freind who has installed it to play via game ranger, with dxwind etc, but when i tested playing UM5 with no tweaks at all, when he presses new multiplayer game, botf locks up, the mouse moves, but nothing else? have a missed a step?
multi player game play has always been difficult. but it sounds like a port/firewall issue.
if you have not already read this topic, both should read this tutorial.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3548
also it is helpful it determine the system with the issue, so both should test with different players/systems

have fun and just don't let multiplayer get you frustrated it is one of the best experiences once you get it working.

if you have more questions we are here to help.

thunderchero

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”