About ship sizes

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Mr Sol
Ensign
Ensign

About ship sizes

Post by Mr Sol »

Thunder, please, give me an idea about this:

Im going to use individual ship slots, no slot sharing, so its a 1 to 1.

Ships will have different sizes, and in metric, since metric is the measuring scale in startrek and here, Brazil.

Then since I have absolutely NO idea about the real size of a ship on screen, nor about what its size means when I read that the model xyz have 150% size, I have to pick a reference point to start with.
sovereign size 01.jpg
sovereign size 01.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
No idea about these sizes and if they are right...

Then spacedock have a size for this ship: 685m length and 137m height. Ok. At the daistrom institute they say that the lysian space station is the same model for the edo guardian, therefore i presume it would be the same height. Then we have this image:
sovereign size 02.jpg
sovereign size 02.jpg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
sovereign, spacedock and edo guardian as lysian station

Fine. If we look, spacedock have more than 5000m height. If, and only IF, I resize these models to the real size following these data, Im really afraid that spacedock wont fit in the screen or will bug. On the other hand if I shrink the sovereign I will have to shrink all the other ships from everybody since the sovereign became my reference size to look at the screen.

Lemme explain what I mean: When the combat screen begins I move the camera to check the ship at the exact position of this picture:
sovereign size 00.jpg
sovereign size 00.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
When I get a ruler and measure the ship it reads exactly 3cm, without me having to change any camera distance, so 3cm became my standard size for all the onscreen checking for resizings.

Just so you know in metric the , and . are inversed, so yours 17.52% is ours 17,52%, same thing, different character, so no fear.

See: 685m (sovereign length) = 100% size, 120m (oberth length) = ?% size. We do the math: 17,52% size
Then 3cm (30mm sovereign length) = 100% size, so 17,52% of 30mm equals gigantic 5,3mm (5mm because ,3mm is irrelevant)

5mm on the screen is so small that you still discern some ship details but if you shrink it more it will be so small that it will become a blur, and we dont want to do that.

So Im wondering if I should use the real sizes for big things like spacedock and some monsters.

Another issue Im worried about is the ship distance, phasers and torpedo firing, if that will create any problems, if there will be colision detection problems and any adjusting I should do. I already have 80% of the ships converted from the spacedock manuals so I can insert the data in the game and test if my idea for a mod will work out but Im worried about this size point, since the real size is part of the spacedock rules and Im trying to be the most acurate possible.

Any ideas?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: About ship sizes

Post by thunderchero »

Mr Sol wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm So Im wondering if I should use the real sizes for big things like spacedock and some monsters.

Another issue Im worried about is the ship distance, phasers and torpedo firing, if that will create any problems,
This is a tricky question, depends on what you want mainly. :wink:

note; all value I use is front to back length.
what I did on most mods was to set max size (1500.00 meters) and set an min size (100.00 meters). all other ships would use correct scale.
but best way is a visual comparison in combat screen. make a backup of trek.exe and stbof.res and move ships around in ship list so you can compare between races.

"scale %" info in UE means nothing to actual size ship will display. base scale is set during conversion and by original ships model creator, and no real standard was ever used modders.
Mr Sol
Ensign
Ensign

Re: About ship sizes

Post by Mr Sol »

Ok, then I will try it my way then, since it seems to be giving some results up to now.

Soon enough i will need some playtesters! :grin:

Need to find a way to share the mod!

Thanks again!

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”