How to make a flying outpost? :D

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Mr Sol
Ensign
Ensign

How to make a flying outpost? :D

Post by Mr Sol »

Its serious!

I need a way to move an outpost and a starbase on the map to force them into a conflict so I can control when it happens. This way I can test and compare sizes and resize them to the size I want else i will have to wait till the game is a lot avdanced and I can be attacked but even then I wont have certainty of when I will be attacked to save before so I can repeat it till Im done.

I tried to create a new ship and changed the image to the outpost: crash
I tried to change the outpost from outpost to scout: crash

Ideas, please?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: How to make a flying outpost? :D

Post by thunderchero »

don't change the outpost, create a copy of any ship and assign model to new ship slot.

when in combat close game, do not complete combat. then re-name last.sav to any open saved game slot. then you can use that saved game to repeat same combat over and over.
Mr Sol
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr Sol »

don't change the outpost, create a copy of any ship and assign model to new ship slot.
A copy in SHIP / SHIP STATS or a copy at ADD/REMOVE SHIP MODEL?

Because I tried to make a copy of a scout ship and changed the image to the outpost and it crashed.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Mr Sol wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 pm
A copy in SHIP / SHIP STATS or a copy at ADD/REMOVE SHIP MODEL?

Because I tried to make a copy of a scout ship and changed the image to the outpost and it crashed.
make a copy in SHIP / SHIP STATS and change image
I just tested and it worked, you must start a new game when ever any ship list change is made.
Mr Sol
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr Sol »

I found out what was going on:

Same issue as in my last post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3718

First I made the new ship: Flying Dutchman class pirate ship! :grin:

I tried your suggestion with an outpost I had just changed the model and it crashed, then I thought: What if he is talking about doing it with the original models? Then I changed the ship image to that of the starbase and it worked. Then I noticed that when I hover the mouse over the flying dutchman the starbase pict shows up. Then I realized that I should check for the outpost i_xxx270.tga file. Bingo, it wasnt there while the i_hs270.tga file is there (the spacestation). I just got the cardie tga file i made while trying to fix this during the cited post, renamed it to fit the outpost file, added and voilá, flying outpost!

Now to some considerations:

Would be more interesting to have an outpost made with the troop ships or an "outpost/starbase ship" with movement zero? For it to be fixed in space I should zero its agility also?

Following this idea I could do the same with the defense orbitals and create a kind of system defense fighter force? This way I could have a ton of defense batteries that do an actual fight on screen together with a starbase/outpost and ships. That would be something!

Thanks again!

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”