Troubleshooting Ultimate Dominion mod start up issue

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
JPMoney
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Troubleshooting Ultimate Dominion mod start up issue

Post by JPMoney »

I installed The Ultimate Dominion Mod version 3.0.1dd back in 2014. I installed it on a portable HDD and ran the game from the HDD. Worked fine. I have since purchased a new computer and this is the first time I've come back to botf. I plugged in the portable HDD and tried to run the game, but it didn't run. No error messages, it tries to run but then just stops. I discovered that the paths in stbof.ini needed to be updated because I had rearranged some folders on the HDD since the game install. Even after I update the paths it says it can't find the CD. When I update the CDPath to be just D:\, it gives me a message about botf not being installed on the hard disk correctly.

Do I need to update registries in some way? I'd prefer not to install the newest all-in-one because I'd like to pick up the save game where I left off. Thanks for any help with troubleshooting!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Troubleshooting Ultimate Dominion mod start up issue

Post by thunderchero »

what I would suggest since new computer is more than likely windows 10;

1. download all in one and install tools (DxWnd) and UDM. Note; do not install to portable HDD with old version of UDM
2. copy the just installed UDM folders (UDM and UDML folders) to safe location.
3. copy the stbof.res and trek.exe from UDM folder of your portable HDD to install path of all in one UDM folder. (repeat if necessary for UDML files)

test if game starts using desktop shortcut.

good luck
JPMoney
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JPMoney »

Thanks Thunderchero. I will give this a try.
JPMoney
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JPMoney »

So I downloaded the all-in-one, and went ahead and installed all of the mods. I followed your instructions above for UDML, and that actually worked. However, I am running into a couple issues. First, the cosmetic 1366x768 patch doesn't seem to work with my older version of UDML. That's not so bad. But I don't appear to be able to run it from DXWnd. It crashes as it tries to load (no error message). DXWnd is loading the other mods fine. I am able to run the UDML trek.exe file directly from the folder and the game will run. My old save games will even load. But I am finding terrible mouse lag that makes it virtually unplayable. My understanding was that DXWnd would help address that issue. Is that the case? Any suggestions?

One other thing--I was thinking I wouldn't have to mess with the DPI settings on the trek.exe files in the individual mod folders when running the programs out of DXWnd, but it would appear that was a bad assumption, as none of the mods seem to be loading with the correct scaling until I correct the DPI issue on the .exe file first. Am I missing something or is this normal?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

JPMoney wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 pm First, the cosmetic 1366x768 patch doesn't seem to work with my older version of UDML.
that is expected, I should have advised you to install at same resolution as saved version.
you should uninstall UDM and re-install at correct resolution to use your saved game.
JPMoney wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 pm I am able to run the UDML trek.exe file directly from the folder and the game will run. My old save games will even load. But I am finding terrible mouse lag that makes it virtually unplayable. My understanding was that DXWnd would help address that issue. Is that the case? Any suggestions?
without DxWnd starting game you will have a horrible mouse lag. using DxWnd is the fix.
shortcuts use command line to start DxWnd first before starting game. so starting game from trek.exe DxWnd is not used.
JPMoney wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 pm One other thing--I was thinking I wouldn't have to mess with the DPI settings on the trek.exe files in the individual mod folders when running the programs out of DXWnd, but it would appear that was a bad assumption, as none of the mods seem to be loading with the correct scaling until I correct the DPI issue on the .exe file first. Am I missing something or is this normal?
In most cases using any windows comparability setting will interfere with DxWnd running properly.
DxWnd even has a a tool that will "clear compatibility flags". it is in tool tab when expert mode is enabled in option tab.

please take a screen shot of how using DPI settings helps (post image with and image without DPI setting enabled) I have never seen any improvement.
JPMoney
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JPMoney »

So even after install with correct resolution, it doesn't appear I can play the old version after copying trek.exe and stbof.res from the old version. It just crashes upon trying to run the game. Bummer.

As far as the DPI settings, if I just run from Dxwnd, the game is off-centered on the screen. It's usually extra large but offset in the bottom right corner. It's unplayable because you can't see the whole interface. When I right click on the .exe file, go to the DPI settings, and instruct the program to allow scaling to be handled by the application, it centers the display and everything appears correctly in-game.
JPMoney
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JPMoney »

Sorry for the spam, but is there no archive of old versions of these mods so I can see if reinstalling 3.0.1dd fixes the issue?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

sorry, no old archive of older mods.

one other thing you could try would be to copy the complete content of older version from portable drive to all in one install location,

you will need to edit the stbof.ini to new path or do not overwrite stbof.ini

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”