Section 31 in BotF

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Section 31 in BotF

Post by Kurn »

In Deep Space Nine the organization "Section 31" is NOT part of the federation's secret service. I was surprised when I accidentally found the name in the lexicon (UE). I can't remember that I ever read the name in game. Does anyone know when the name is used?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Section 31 in BotF

Post by thunderchero »

Kurn wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:29 pm In Deep Space Nine the organization "Section 31" is NOT part of the federation's secret service.
it was not a sanctioned department, but it was part of the United Federation of planets.

As for where it is used in game, I could not find that lexicon id used in trek.exe

This might have had to be removed due to the limited copyrights they acquired. Microprose only signed rights for "The next generation" not star trek in general.

from what I read Microprose pushed the limits of their copyright contract and even had to argue since the Defiant and Sovereign was in "the next Generation" First contact movie, they were allowed to use them in game. they may have lost the argument on Section 31.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm
This might have had to be removed due to the limited copyrights they acquired. Microprose only signed rights for "The next generation" not star trek in general.

from what I read Microprose pushed the limits of their copyright contract and even had to argue since the Defiant and Sovereign was in "the next Generation" First contact movie, they were allowed to use them in game. they may have lost the argument on Section 31.
But they used a pic of Grand Nagus Zek for the Ferengi, who had never a scene in a TNG episode or movie.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I think that was because they were making a 5-sided RTS game, and because four were already filled (Fed, Kli, Rom, Car) but there wasn't really mention of a 'big empire'-ish thing to match them, well, Ferengi were up because TNG said they were a mysterious power, so although DS9 said they were after money, it automatically became, "So... Ferengi is like Capitolist America on steroids?! America = Capitalists, also America has a big army, navy and air force etc... so... Ferengi = Capitalists = America which has a large military, means Ferengi = empire with a large empire"... and since *ds9* stated the head of the Ferengi state is a Grand Nagus...

yeah they were stretching things, but the ferengi as an organization themselves weren't a creation of DS9 that got crossed over to TNG, but the other way around. Section 31 as an organization WAS a creation of ds9, that never crossed over.

Honestly, I would have liked it if DS9 actually had gone "oh yeah the Ferengi actually are a power, smaller than the others but technologically on par, but Quark, Rom and Nog are like the outliers of their society, Ferengi as a rule were insular because other cultures weren't nearly as self-interested capitalists as they are, it's just that Quark ended up in cardassian territory rather than federation that resulted in Quarks' Bar being on Terok Nor, not Starbase 54 or whatever." because of course they are, why else would Gamma quadrant powers be interested in trading with the ferengi etc, if they themselves weren't a power to be ... bargained... with? eh? eh? 😁 No? 😢

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”