Widget Count Increase (Info)

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Widget Count Increase (Info)

Post by Tethys »

Disclaimer: This info is intended for modders who understand the code. This info can break your install if you don't know how to use it. I did not use any standard color coding.

In my quest to create a standalone textbox (in game notepad) for entering information, i came across some interesting info (yes I know section is labeled tooltips).

After some investigation i found the number of widgets per screen may potentially be doubled as long as widgetID does not exceed FF FF (65535). This can (possibly) be done by adjusting the values at loc_4B8A6F 08 -> 04 and loc_4B8A73 04 -> 02 and loc_4B8A77 ?? -> ?? (and other associated values, these are just the first I found). I believe these values dictate starting location of each *ID section, since third location has no associated value.

Upon further investigation, there are a few ADD 4 and ADD 12 which might be length of each *ID entry, and total size of all entries, in bytes :?: (ADD 2, ADD 6) :?:

This (should) change the structure of wdfObjectDesc_t offsetID, instanceID, and typeID to read 2 byte ID values rather than current 4 byte values, thus reducing space (similar to energy screen project). :!: Downside is that ALL wdf offset tables must be adjusted.. :!: or you know what happens :!: . This would be a step towards adding some new functional buttons to screens throughout the game. Even perhaps intermingling of screens with clever buttonplay and subscreen (picture placeholder) placement (cover entire screen) with whole new wdfs, which I won't even get into.. but I do think that is all possible with the use of patch files and removal of redundant code. At the very least this could free up some space for more projects.

Unloading and *Loading wdfs
loc_53DF2F
*loc_53E595

Now due to the significant changes involved and the very insignificant textbox I am trying to add, this has yet to be tested (Its late, and I'm tired...) So it is still mostly speculative and more for informational purposes for my (and now your) future projects.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”