Build requirements and shipyards

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Build requirements and shipyards

Post by Dewbacca »

I had a question about shipyards.
Is there anyway to set up levels of shipyards, i.e.:
Basic shipyard lvl 1 propulsion tech requirement builds Scouts, colony and transport ships
Fleet yards upgrade for basic, lvl 2 propulsion tech required builds above plus destroyers and cruisers
Advanced shipyards upgrade for fleet yards, lvl 4 propulsion tech required builds everything.

Additional requirements optional, original colonies, homeworld only, ect...
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Build requirements and shipyards

Post by thunderchero »

Is it possible yes, would it be easy no.

you would need to borrow (duplicate) the code for the Utopia Planitia a couple times, and increase the list of ships it could build. then set up an offset in the shiplist for each build structure.

and make all the code work.

it may sound easy but it would not be. lol

also UE would not like this modification.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I see, so a simpler, more UE friendly version could be 2 stage system using the Utopia Planitia building reworked to allow more instances being built and editing the ships it builds.

Good call!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Dewbacca wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm I see, so a simpler, more UE friendly version could be 2 stage system using the Utopia Planitia building reworked to allow more instances being built and editing the ships it builds.

Good call!
not really, a single structure would still need the race cmp removed and depending on how many ships will be involved will still be a lot of code to write and take up at least 14 bytes per ship due to long jumps from reloc section. so if you do 10 ships per race that would be 700 bytes of new code to write.

then if each races has it's own special structure it would require even more coding with many cmp's
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I'm working on a game with a single player faction of humans fighting BUGS in space... so the bugs wouldn't need something like this.

But I do now understand that UE will not allow me to just SET the class of ships Utopia Planitia permits, that will take hex code editing for specific ships. Thank you for that clarification.

I do see a "check box" in UE for each ship that selects it as a "special ship", but I also notice a limited number of those ships which I do not see editable by UE.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”