Mod locked up in "Game Loading"

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Mod locked up in "Game Loading"

Post by Dewbacca »

I've made several changes to stbotf.res and trek.exe in the ECM mod that didn't seem to be causing any issues.

But when I tried to use UE to duplicate your UDML galaxy generation settings, it never gets past the game loading screen.

ECM with the larger GUI patch and UDML galaxy gen settings, incompatible, or just lacking the ol' Thunderchero touch?

*edit
I AM remembering to let the movie run as previously suggested.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Mod locked up in "Game Loading"

Post by thunderchero »

I doubt it will help but it is worth try and you will need it any way in the end.

after changing map size on larger GUI you need to run QD res_patch
viewtopic.php?p=30780#p30780

but without running patch game will load but galaxy will not fill up area. so it sounds like you may have other issues.

if it does not work I hope you made a backup before making map changes.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I tried using UDM galaxy gen settings, that got me past the "game Loading" screen, but now no galaxy, just empty space.

As for backups, still very early in the modding process, but good lesson for going forward.

So far it's just 100 clicks in UE and a few settings on QD's patcher to establish what WORKS. I'm just going to need bigger galaxy settings before I can start any sort of playtesting and balancing.

I have it about 50% complete to beta based off UDM, but new mods need to be based off ECM so I am trying to reproduce my progress on ECM and am reminded just how much work you (and Siggi) did to get UDM to it's status of Top Mod.
I thank you and salute you for your work so often it's becoming embarrassing ... but it's heartfelt.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

Are we saying THIS patch:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/botfrespatch/

That was a very indepth topic, I will have to go back and read, then reread it several times to grasp the basics of it.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yes, it is a simple to use patch

as for the wdf files just extract everything from stbof.res to a folder with UE.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

So, just to clarify, if I install the 1366x768 cosmetic patch, but increase map size with UE, I still have to run that patch? Not UDML size maps, (which I want) but even for UDM size maps?

I am reinstalling ECM to make sure I iron out the map size before going any farther.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yes, running that tool is required on any map change other than when map change is done on 800 x 600

800 x 600 is the only version UE comprehends.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

Ok, adjusted map settings for medium and large size galaxies and medium works as intended, large gets stuck at game loading screen.

Is that a flub on my part, or just settings gone too far?

Settings used for medium and large galaxies were pulled from UDM's small and medium settings respectively. They work fine on UDM and the medium (small settings for UDM) is working well in my Modpodge.

The process of patching after increasing map size was a bit convoluted and I never would have figured it out without your help. Thank you for sharing your deep repository of STBotF knowledge.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dewbacca wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:51 pm Ok, adjusted map settings for medium and large size galaxies and medium works as intended, large gets stuck at game loading screen.

Is that a flub on my part, or just settings gone too far?

Settings used for medium and large galaxies were pulled from UDM's small and medium settings respectively. They work fine on UDM and the medium (small settings for UDM) is working well in my Modpodge.

The process of patching after increasing map size was a bit convoluted and I never would have figured it out without your help. Thank you for sharing your deep repository of STBotF knowledge.
sounds like you made some kind of error. one thing to remember, after last change you need to click on a different box for that change to take effect/auto adjust.

just a note, some value UE does not set or auto sets for galaxy generation. UDM has different values so don't expect the same amount of system and anomalies.

modding is not only using UE, without hex editing you only get so far.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”