unlock colony ships?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

unlock colony ships?

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

While playing today I was thinking, would it be possible to allow colony ships to add colonists (population and structures) after it has already been colonized with a second colony ship?

Thoughts?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: unlock colony ships?

Post by Flocke »

it might already work when you manage to unlock the colonize command for already colonized systems of same empire
but I bet it doesn't work that simple like adding some population and structures, but you have to skip some redundant system initialization and the morale bonus and check for other issues like system and resource counting
but should be doable, even in assembler :roll:

you need to check what routine(s) prevent double-colonialization and then go by error debugging the code
for the menu buttons we already know that the task force ability flags are checked as well to unlock the commands - might help to locate and figure out the code

good luck :)
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Even if it were doable, wouldn't that risk it being possible to take over a heavily defended enemy planet without a fight by colonizing it?
Think about this, you can steal an uncolonized enemy system from a power you are at war with by colonizing it. If you remove the restriction from double-colonialization, wouldn't that risk it allowing you to steal away their homeworld by colonizing it?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

No, A check would be needed so only controlling race could re-colonize.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

First, assembler projects-wise, I'd rather invest the time for improving the one-item-per-turn resp wasted industry excess issue (but other things take precedence atm).

Second, in this case I'd use the unfinished economy transfer orders. GUI control alike trade routes to own systems (resp share trade route feature if other party). So you could transfer pop, dil, food, energy a.s.o. from one system to another (with one turn delay or delay depending on distance & propulsion tech). But that's more a feature for Supremacy. And even there it quickly goes out of hand if you consider map paths of trade routes (enemy territory and blocking/raiding ships).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

For Supremacy, I don't think it's gonna happen. :wink:
Besides what SCT already mentioned, notice that in BotF (and in Supremacy), new colonies are basically free pop - since colony ships don't cost population to build. So that would be an (exploitable) way to explode your total pop, and as a consequence, your entire economy. And a colony's defense against invasions.
For BotF I think it'd be preferable to revisit/redo/fix the increased growth rate due to excess food production - or some other tool to achieve that effect. In Supremacy, that is achieved through the colony's health level.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”