Decreasing Turn Time

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Decreasing Turn Time

Post by Starbucking »

Ive gone through the forms and seen several posts about it. The patch looked interesting and im gonna take a look into it. But shouldn't computer power factor into the equation as well?

Im running a Ryzen 7 5800x 32gb Ram on a 1TB SSD with a 3080TI card. By all accounts my PC should have no problem with a game that is almost the same age as me.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Decreasing Turn Time

Post by thunderchero »

no, it is a limit of the code of the AI calculations. in most cases it will run same code hundreds of times to make a single decision. So with thousands of decisions it just take time. and as we increased map size and more ships in game, this just made code issue/turn processing worse.

sad part is AI sucks.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

There was a slight difference between playing it on my Dell Optiplex GX110 with a 1ghz processor and 512mb of RAM and my Gateway 4200DX with a 2.5ghz processor and 6gb of RAM.
Not as much as I was expecting, but the 4200DX is 9 years newer than the Optiplex GX110 (which is now old enough to drink). I haven't tried it with anything more modern.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Starbucking »

slickrcbd wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:16 pm There was a slight difference between playing it on my Dell Optiplex GX110 with a 1ghz processor and 512mb of RAM and my Gateway 4200DX with a 2.5ghz processor and 6gb of RAM.
Not as much as I was expecting, but the 4200DX is 9 years newer than the Optiplex GX110 (which is now old enough to drink). I haven't tried it with anything more modern.
On turn 174 of UDML turn time was 60 seconds. I know on some older games you can increase the number of cores used so i was hoping I could do that here.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:40 pm no, it is a limit of the code of the AI calculations. in most cases it will run same code hundreds of times to make a single decision. So with thousands of decisions it just take time. and as we increased map size and more ships in game, this just made code issue/turn processing worse.

sad part is AI sucks.
It's a shame because the game could be fantastic if it didn't have that underlying issue.
Couldn't a restriction be somehow introduced to run said calculations a max of X times then make a decision?
Is the calucation purely for ship movements? or does it encompass every decision like what to build etc? I notice when I and the Ferengi had a huge fight (they had 300 ships, I had around 200), after the battle was over, the turn time decreased a fair bit.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:00 pmCouldn't a restriction be somehow introduced to run said calculations a max of X times then make a decision?
There is sort of a workaround for AI ship movement calculations on the main map, but we got kind of mixed results: viewtopic.php?p=54732#p54732
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ooooh, a very missed topic from my extended absence!

Delicious :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”