Starting Levels info

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Starting Levels info

Post by Tethys »

I was doing some work on a classified project :cool: and came across some interesting info. I felt this was worth a post, because someone may come back to it in the future ;)

In the stbof.ini there is some info down yonder:

Code: Select all

CIVLEVEL1=2
CIVLEVEL2=3
CIVLEVEL3=1
CIVLEVEL4=2
CIVLEVEL5=0
Interestingly, setting the CIVLEVEL =6 did not produce a crash, but the number 7 showed up in the starting level. 5 showed a blank space (could be black text, see below). So I dug a little deeper. It took up maybe 2 hours because I am persistent on this non-issue.

4BFD80 took a while to locate because of (seemingly) duplicate entries and that's what took the longest. But alas, I have found the cookie buried deep under sand, rock, and diamond.
botf14.png
botf14.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
I tested value FE because I thought FF could be -1. It also appears this is some kind of color code system, as all the color seem to be different (note entry 254)

4BFDE6

Code: Select all

AUTO:004BFDE6 B9 05 00 00 00                                                      mov     ecx, 5

AUTO:004BFE65 BB 05 00 00 00                                                      mov     ebx, 5
So at the very least we know there is potential for up to 254 starting levels with a different setting for each one. Man, that's a lot of clicking! I'd probably say 10 should be the max for any mod...

And the crash log if you try to choose level greater than 5...

ST:BOF Wed Feb 23 00:20:01 2022

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\universe\placrace.c, Line: 998, pos.row>=0 && pos.col>=0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 4 Starting Seed: 1645593601
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2

4BFE33
I think this compares the CivLevel to some other version of itself+bytes, which is assigned elsewhere (I've seen it I just don't remember where)

4BFE36
This jnz is already ready to jump right into relocation table to continue code structure for additional CivLevels (but more code would be needed).

4BFE3C
I think this assigns saves or alters some info for later comparison with CivLevel.

Edit: Added info (second trigger location)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”