Thinking of creating a mod? You must read!

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Thinking of creating a mod? You must read!

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

This post will cover some do's and don'ts when beginning work on your first mod for release.

Mods for personal use this does not apply.

You must ask permission before using any of the following and give proper credit to creator.

1. Any ship models you did not create, be it from a mod or ship packs or download. "Most requests are granted"

2. Any new images created or used in any other mod. Minor images, ship images, backgrounds, interfaces, or any other new material. "Most requests are granted"

3. Do not use someone edited files. You need to know what changes were made so if problem arise you will be able to understand them better. So all mods should start with vanilla files. Unless you have gotten permission first.

4. Stats and setting are a little different, same setting for something is expected. Once again do not copy or use someone else's files without permission.

5. Do not use a mod as the base for your project. "most requests for this is declined"

In some case when contact has been attempted with no reply from creator. And you still plan on using material. This would be your decision to make, but if creator objects be prepared to remove said material from your mod and have all links removed until this is completed.

Thanks for reading,
comments and question are always welcome

thunderchero
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Thinking of creating a mod? You must read!

Post by jigalypuff »

As I still on ocasion get requests for permission to use my models I am posting in this sticky. Anyone can use my models, they belong to the community. Cheers, and nice to se this place still going strong.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

I am granting permission to use my models I created as well, I do request credit be given in readme.

Also in Siggi absence I will grant permission for use of his models also. I was co-creator of most of them any way. Credit should also be given in readme for his models.

thunderchero
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

5. Do not use a mod as the base for your project. "most requests for this is declined"
What is the recommended base for Mods with intended public release?

Vanilla? ECM?

I had considered your NBU as a base, lots of advantages with your Larger Maps and built in error corrections.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dewbacca wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm
What is the recommended base for Mods with intended public release?

Vanilla? ECM?

I had considered your NBU as a base, lots of advantages with your Larger Maps and built in error corrections.
vaniila is what you should start with, but just so you don't need to get permission. IIRC SCT gave permission to use as a base but would need to check his posts.

as for your request to use NBU mod? I will give you permission since that mod was just released to show what could be done in regards to no upgrades.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”