Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project updated 4-9-2009

Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project Info; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

JeffZero
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by JeffZero »

Hi there, complete newb at these sorts of things and first-time poster.

I downloaded this program a few moments ago and during the installation process, it kept bringing up registry key failures so I kept clicking 'abort' and eventually after about seven or eight times all these alleged failures stopped popping up. Everything progressed 'smoothly' after that; went through a couple of MS-DOS-like screens and then it was pretty much all set.

Or so I thought.

I've been trying to run the game for a few minutes now and every time I click on Trek.exe or pretty much anything else related to the program... nothing happens.

I'm using Windows 7, if that helps. I'm sorry for being so vague. Ask me specific things and I'll try to... well, be more specific. Does anyone know what's going on, here?
JeffZero
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by JeffZero »

Oh, to give a more specific example of the registry key issue, I'm attempting to re-install at the moment and here's the exact text I'm getting for one of several pop-ups:

Error creating registry key:
HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\BirthoftheFederation

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5.
Access is denied.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway, or Abort to cancel installation.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

welcome JeffZero,

Sorry to hear you are having problems, Have you tried to run installer as administraitor?

this installer was created before windows 7 was even released, But I know other have been able to install on 7 with little effort.

what version are you running? premium ect

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Have you tried running as Administrator?
-
Right click multi installer and select Run as Administrator.

Also, you might try running in Compatibility mode with Win XP Service Pack 3,2, or Windows 98
-
Right click trek.exe (after installed) and go to Properties > Compatibility and tick the check box [ ] for compatibility mode and select your desired mode.

Also, another thing you might try is installing to the default directory (your drive):\botf since if i remember correctly the game does not like to be installed in a directory with spaces in the name, such as Program Files or My Games, however :\games\botf should work.

Hope this helps and u start playing again soon :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
JeffZero
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by JeffZero »

You guys are so on-the-ball! I appreciate the warp-speed replies. This is the kind of community that makes me proud to have grown up with Trek, eh?

Anyway, I have Windows 7 Home Edition... but nevermind all that, you got it to work for me! Spectacular. All I needed to do was run the program as an Administrator like you suggested. Whoo.

I haven't touched BOTF in something like six years, so this is going to be awesome. I want to get into Balance of Power, go through that several times and then check out the Ultimate Dominion Mod. So excited.

Thanks a million for all the hard work and dedication you've put into this. I was browsing topics and man, you guys did a lot.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Thats great u got it working!

Hey dont forget to try Galaxies Mod, you can play as Borg with all their ships ;)

I need to stop advertising my mod everywhere lol... its not done yet but I hope for it to be completed before the end of the year I hope! Been going for about a year already :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
JeffZero
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by JeffZero »

Oh, that sounds rad too. I'll be sure to check it out!
Buzzlightbeer
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Buzzlightbeer »

Hello i am new here and i have a little problem. I am trying to run the Borg mod but cant figure it out. The readme says:

copy and paste your res file and trek.exe to a new folder as backups
axtract all files from the borg.zip to a new folder
add all files except the trek.exe to the stbotf.res file
drop the modified trek.exe into the main botf folder on your c:\ drive
overwriting the one in there.
play the game.

My problem is where it says " add all files except the trek.exe to the stbotf.res file" How do you do that? Thanks in advance for any help.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

in order to do that, i use WINRAR, so i open the program, then "FILE>OPEN FILE" and look in botf root directory for "stbotf.res", open...
Then in the winrar program click "ADD" and wait a few seconds once you added.
Hope it helps.
Live long and propser
Buzzlightbeer
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Buzzlightbeer »

I did this but get an error saying that i need the disk in the drive. The funny thing is i do have the disk in the drive. I followed the instrutions in the readme that came with the mod:

copy and paste your res file and trek.exe to a new folder as backups
axtract all files from the borg.zip to a new folder
add all files except the trek.exe to the stbotf.res file
drop the modified trek.exe into the main botf folder on your c:\ drive
overwriting the one in there.
play the game.

I followed all these steps and dont know where i am going wrong. What i need is a step by step tut or something like that, that has all info that i need. This readme didnt tell me how to add to the res file, i got that info here (thanks anjel) so there must be something else the readme isnt telling me. I am not a coder or a modder so i need baby steps.

Thanks again
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

The borg mod is not setup for no cd use and not part of the multi installer files.

you would need to use UE to set trek.exe to no cd option and this might work.

thunderchero
Buzzlightbeer
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Buzzlightbeer »

well i have the CD so if i install from the CD and install the mod it should work? And how do you change the trek.exe with UE?

edit:
Ok i got it to work, but there are no borg ships. And i D/L the borg incursion mod v3, but it gives me v2. Any ideas how i can get this to work?
jmonahan78
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Multi-Installer mods

Post by jmonahan78 »

I've tried to install v1.0.2 but get error saying files are corrupt any help will be very much appreciatied thanku!!!!Oh I run XP SP3..
thunderchero

Re: Multi-Installer mods

Post by thunderchero »

jmonahan78 wrote:I've tried to install v1.0.2 but get error saying files are corrupt any help will be very much appreciatied thanku!!!!Oh I run XP SP3..
Use some kind of download manager
captHedge
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by captHedge »

Guys,

I have been playing botf since it first came out.... I still have the original cd...

great to see that this site is still going after all these years :) and it has rekindled my love for the game...

this time I am gonna try out some mods ;)

thanks again for keeping the game alive....

captHedge

Return to “Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project Info”