Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project Info; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Peace
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project updated 4-9-2009

Post by Peace »

Mod Multi Error Correction mod 2.0 english/german
I noticed a texted error in this mod. I ws testing to see if the 66535 max construction was fixed. Using teh Kliongons as a level 5 advanced race.
Quickest way to test this condition. While it did produce the industry upgrade which cost68K+ It said that Feregainar had done so not Qu' nos.
still great job. And, the increase in galaxy size is definately better.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Just got my SSD today and reinstalled my whole system... and now I'm here with the ultra-slow multi-installer again. Don't get it the wrong way. I love this tool but it feels like it's compressed with ultra-hyper-exa-settings. I mean even with 8 cores and a brand new SSD it is taking veeeery long... Ulra-settings @compression shouldn't also be necessary as most of the files can't get compressed even more. Take the vids or the res. There's nothing to gain here with ultra-mega-compressing. Just wastes a lot of time - once to create and then to extract ofc. IMO that's not worth it just to save like 10-20 MB.

Is it also necessary that it installs and extracts everything twice when I choose german version? I mean the hundreds of tgas and lots of other files are completely identical. Ok I know, there are lots of mods just in english language and they need the correct source-files ofc. But there should be some ways to speed the installation up a bit.

Had to re-install my system for the 3rd time this year and dunno how often last year (at least 8 times) and it's very annoying.

Srsly, I don't know how cd gets it done to install every mod that there is. I die by how long it takes to even install one!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

KrazeeXXL wrote:and now I'm here with the ultra-slow multi-installer again.
As we know my programming skills are very limited, and the multi installer is very complexed considering everything it does.

But one thing you can do, create backups of the "english.res and german.res" then while installer is running just close all command prompts and then just copy the "english.res and german.res" backups into install path. But this would not work for mod installation only on main multi installer.

I will also note I have only done limited testing this way. but options of your backed up files would be used when installing mods.

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

thx for the hint with english and german.res.

But now I already installed the mods I wanted and am finally able to clone the system again. So I won't have to install the mods in the next future again.

However, I'd be interested to know how you create your multi-installer mods in general. I'm not that fancy programmer myself but when it's about raw hardware, speed and compression I'm your man <insert Tim Allen grunt> ;)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

KrazeeXXL wrote:However, I'd be interested to know how you create your multi-installer mods in general. I'm not that fancy programmer myself but when it's about raw hardware, speed and compression I'm your man <insert Tim Allen grunt> ;)
I use a couple programs to compile installers.

first would be "Inno Setup" http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
this is used to compile exe and all files needed and adds all regs and shortcuts.

next I use "Inno Setup Script Includes" http://www.albartus.com/issi/
this is for small things like background image and sound during install and some uninstall functions

but these 2 programs only would get me so far, so to complete the package the installer will call bat files to run different scripts. The script format I use is "KiXtart" http://kixtart.org/
while this script is not very popular, at least to me it is easy to understand and can do every thing I have attempted so far.

Now I doubt it would speed things up any the inno install uses it own script "pascal scripting" But after many attempts (failures) I just continued to use the kix script.

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I played a bit with kiXtart in the past. It's quite useful and a good choice imo.

I'll see if I can reproduce this. I didn't try inno setup yet. But since the multi installer needs a bit of an improvement and it's in the range of my skills, I'm willing to give it a try.

Thx to cd I have a big archive with lots of mods and different versions to give it a go :)

I guess the major thing I have to find out is what registry keys are set by BotF. That somehow has to be the main-key to get multiple mods running.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Don't get me wrong the install process could be faster, but my fear of users editing the backup files so they are compressed "english.res and german.res" and compressing (main multi) and decompressing (mods) take I guess 25% longer on mods more like 50 -75% of the time on main installer.

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Just a small note the Multi installer has now past 40,000 downloads. 8O

thunderchero

Return to “Multi-Game/Mod Installer Project Info”