the trouble with the router continues...

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

the trouble with the router continues...

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I'd like to play a round or two but because of a lightning which hit my house, my router got damaged... internet still worked but I can't phone anymore :/

Changed the ISP as it was time to do so and what did I get? A damn kindergarten router called "easybox 802". it's the most fracking thing I've ever seen regarding the options (although its look doesn't appeal to my taste either tbh).

This stupid thing doesn't want me to play BotF!

Tried a special firmware on it which freed all kinds of useful options (like dmz) but 10 seconds later this damn thing made an automatic firmware update. And nothing seems to be possible to prevent this stupid thing from doing so... :/

Once, I simply switched the routers because I wanted to play a round with captaindusk. It worked - thought fine, seems to be the way :)

But after the game the ISP conked out for some hours. Just great when this happens at the weekend when no hotline is available. Found out that it was because of the two different methods of authentifications both routers use. (the box uses some modem-initialization code and the speedport a normal login: username/pw).

It's a pity. Guess I have to buy a new router.

Then I got 4 of these fracking things lying around here :lol:

But atm there are other and much more important things for me to be done then playing games.

mod them ;)

p.s.: if you want to play BotF in mp don't get an "easybox" 802...
Seriously, it's just good for one thing... to be thrown outta the window and to knock out some pigeons...
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Lol, sounds like your having fun with routers. Almost any Linksys router will allow you to DMZ with no problems, and Im positive the Linksys WRT54g2 will do it, because thats the model I use and have been able to play online via Warzone :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

It's not a problem to get a game running as the old half-broken w701v is still able to do it but I also want to use my phone... and VoIP is not an option for me.

It's really annoying. I got tech with a worth of more then 300 bucks lying around here but nothing works. Either it is broken or designed for pensioners who have no clue at all... when its about such things like kaputers... ;)

the darn "easybox" is some kind of "plug it in and hf thingy" which barely owns 1/3 of the options the other (broken) w701v's have.

better I stop wasting my time with this thing. B4 it'll finally driving me nuts. ;)

I mean it isn't that important atm. As we have no tourneys running/planned and such...
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

If your on DSL then I would recommend the 2wire Gateway Router Modem. Alot of ppl think its crappy, but thats the AT&T one. Dont get the AT&T one.. plenty good ones on ebay and places like that :P I also have one around here somewhere ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I doubt that it would somehow work with german standards tbh. At least I also had to get a new splitter for this kind of tech. Can't tell if it'll be compatible with our net here. Too experimental for my taste ;)
Coracle
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Coracle »

You can try to reduce your w701v to a modem (disabling all the router features) and use a Netgear instead which is pretty reliable. Works fine for internet and gaming, Netgear has DMZ, too, which the w701v hasn't.
However, if you are using T-home Entertain that's not an option, then you are stuck with the Speedports.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”