Online MP for dummies?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Ruthless Ferengi wrote:
easiest way is to
1.install SELF-installer version of the game
2. set up a static ip address and sort out ports
3. get on WZ

1.) done
2.) I don't know where to do that? Please help!
3.) done

It seems to work just fine with my friend joining (for vanilla haven't tried a mod yet) but when my brother and I try to play the game doesn't show up on his screen to join. We tried a direct connect and the game came up but said connection error on his PC. We use the same router (Belkin) and modem (BroadComm). Any idea how we can get a game going? Also could we do a three way (giggity) :lol: or more where we can play with others on WZ if we have the same connection?
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

ok, your router assigns arbitrary ip addresses to your home computers by changing the last digit in IP address... by specifying an ip in a network setting

go to ...

control panel -> network and sharing center -> local area connection ->view status -> details...

write down
ipv4 address number
ip default gateway
dns servers (usually 2 numbers)

then go back to view status -> properties -> internet protocol version 4 (not 6) -> then...

specify ip address by changing the last number of your ip address to anything between 1 and 136, say 136... right that new number down (you will have to forward your ports to THIS static ip now in the router).

then enter your default and specify DNS server number...

save..

if internet does not work you can always go back and reverse changes by selecting assign address automatically..

DNS servers change every now and then... so you may have to change them too...

also, are you trying to connect from the same physical location? i.e. sharing same router? WZ won't work there.. you need to have two distint default gateways... if you are in the same location, just plug your comps into modem and it should work ... also, ensure that your friend has same self-installer version of the game...

pm me and we can try set up a game.... you can have anyway you like it in botf,,, three or more... 2 vs 2 are VERY fun i am told
rf
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

OK Ruthless I gave it a try but ran a DX port test in WZ and the following ports still failed:

Starting test...

47624 FAILED!!!
2300 FAILED!!!
2301 FAILED!!!
2302 FAILED!!!
2303 FAILED!!!
2305 FAILED!!!
2350 FAILED!!!
2400 FAILED!!!

Finished.
Some ports failed.

Not sure if it matters but thought I'd pass it along.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Btw once I get this up and running for sure I would be interested in a MP game with someone. I am in EST (GMT -5) and I am currently unemployed right now so loads of time for BotF and exercise. :lol: Let me know!
ruthlessferengi

ok, you ports are not opened up properly.
first open up your belking router

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/07/set ... er-by.html

The default IP address of Belkin Wireless N router F5D8233-4 is 192.168.2.1

then follow these instructions:

1.you must assign static IP to your computer after you opened ports and make sure you point the ports to the this static ip when you are done..
see here for help

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm on this page, skip to the far middle - there is a table that can ID your static IP - you enter the IP given on you network settings, then the table will crank out the possibilities.

http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm

2. Go to network settings, click on your connection type (LAN or wireless that is on internet), chose general->properties->select TCP/IP for xp or v4ip for vista, chose use the following ip address, enter your static ip... you will also need to enter a number for other addresses (dsn etc) that you will take from the network settings..

3.to access your router (no need to know the model etc), enter in your internet explorer the following

http:\\your default ip v4 gateway ip (found in network connections, support, details) - a bunch of numbers...

leave username blank
enter admin for password

(or enter your preset data)

4.go to application and gaming, port forwarding. There are basically three columns - name of the program, ports, and ip address

enter the name of the two files you want to run on the given port (that would be trec.exe and MSNgamezoneD )

for the following ports

47624, 2300-2400

specify which IP address you want it to apply - i.e. you static IP

then load WZ game zone and to utility testing thing to see which port are open...

ALTERNATIVELY, get rid of your router...

See if it works

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... on_SMS.htm

for belkin routers, look here

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... rindex.htm
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruthlessferengi

if this does not work, then hamachi or kali are other alternatives

Return to “Multiplayer Games”