suggestion to all MP players

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: suggestion to all MP players

Post by Flocke »

In my opinion it would already be good if we'd had an irc channel everyone can easily join, also non mp players, to get in talk. This would bring more life to the community. Get in real time conversation like Dissy said. ;)
Now that we have a new forum I think even a webchat could be added to connect to the irc for people without a client.

For some time I've always been on in warzone, but it's incomfortable to always start the application and have it in background. A modern irc client is much more comfortable. However, maybe the new warzone development team could also offer to connect through irc for chatting only, would be something to ask.
Also Dr_Breen provided us with a teamspeak channel rarely in use. I guess not everyone does have a headset or is willing to use it all the time, and for chatting teamspeak is less useful.

I think it's about time to open an irc channel, cause it brings people closer together, is a benefit to the whole community not only mp players, you've always someone to talk to and get help, it's a great place to meet and independent from tools like warzone or hamachi or whatever used to connect in mp, and also it could be in full control of afc.

Creating a new mod is nice but as ruthless told doesn't seem to be the point for increasing mp interest.
Also organising mp tournaments by the admin staff didn't work that well.
For noobs indeed a better guide would help, but it's hard to summarize all the potential problems you could have on different setups. Ruthless, your guide doesn't list half the potential problems and reading through the complete linked topics is hard work for a noob, not very motivating, especially if they have sparse computer knowledge.

Other than that I only know to continue work in the modding and development section and hope things change by the time.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Maybe we could increase the options of MP venues then. I know of four: eWarzone, Hamachi, Gameranger, and Tunngle. Hamachi I could not get to work and I havent tried Tunngle (Ruthless and Sweethawk might have input on this). Of all these IMO Gameranger was the easiest, fastest, and most stable to connect; however, it is only for vanilla BotF. Maybe the admins here can approach Gameranger staff for adding rooms for the top mods on their site. Lots of people on there all the time for all types of games (I saw a room set up for Europa Universalis one time). Maybe we can also reach out on startrek.com and advertise under fan sites. If money is an issue maybe a fundraiser of sorts from AFC members.
Flocke writes:
Also Dr_Breen provided us with a teamspeak channel rarely in use. I guess not everyone does have a headset or is willing to use it all the time, and for chatting teamspeak is less useful.
I would definitely be willing to give it a go in mp (Dissy and I play epic games so something might be needed to break the silence from time to time). I know the software is free so does Dr_Breen still have the channel available?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

xdarktrooperx wrote:
I would definitely be willing to give it a go in mp (Dissy and I play epic games so something might be needed to break the silence from time to time). I know the software is free so does Dr_Breen still have the channel available?
Yes, watch his sig: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=444
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55

Mod-Play is also a problem on other services like gameranger? If it keeps to be a problem, once I already offered to write a little launcher program instead using just the vanilla registry entry. This would require a change in the multi installers but should also work with vanilla lobby on warzone. When the multi installers were developed, it was decided against to prevent users from accidently choosing the wrong mod or version in the launcher causing mod- or version-conflicts. Instead it was hoped warzone would adapt and be used by everyone.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Game ranger allows you to select the EXE in one of the options but of course both players must select the same exe so any mod can be played.

But unless game ranger has improved I kept getting sync errors every 5 turns last I tried it.

I found my old post about playing mods on game ranger it was 2 1/2 years ago maybe they have improved since

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=488&p=8244&sid=406a ... 95b2#p8244

thunderchero
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

I am regular user of IRC, flocke which network do you use? Netgamers.org? I can setup a channel on netgamers.org, just need 2 supporters and it can be up a running within a week :)
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

for me the network doesn't matter, I use miranda for icq, jabber and irc and can connect to multiple irc servers.
the server just should work and be for free :)

Return to “Multiplayer Games”