LAN Game

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

Omnituens
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

LAN Game

Post by Omnituens »

Hello everyone!

I will be attending a LAN party soon and I would like to give BOTF a try with a few other people. The problem is I find the game quite unstable on my machine, sometimes it crashes after 10 turns, sometimes it wont crash for hours. Multipy that by 3-5 people, and we could be loosing people left, right and centre every turn.

Is there any way to increase reliabilty? If one person drops out, do we all have to exit and rehost? I've not played a multiplayer game before, so I'm not sure how it works. I woudl like to play against humans as the AI seems to be able to reseach a million times faster than I can so I can never play low tech level games without being horribly outclassed tech wise :(
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: LAN Game

Post by Peter1981 »

And I have to ask -- 'Did you search the forums'?

Sorry I'll try and be more positive ;)

I must assume your playing vanilla BotF...

you will all need to be running the same version of BotF (use multi-installer) else you get sink errors. Ensure your using software not hardware for the 3d setting in stbof.ini make sure no-one is "acidentally" using the -Mudd cheat as this can cause sink errors.

hope this help :) (if not use the search function)
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Hello, Omnituens

Peter1981 is correct using the search function will answer many of your questions but as an active MP always looking for new people to join our ever small band of rebels I will try and assist you. :wink: Downloading warzone is the "easiest" way to play BotF online with humans. You can find the link to download it on the main site page of ST modding https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/. Thats the easy part :) the next part is setting up the ports on your router to play on WZ here is the link for that viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1851. Note if you don't have a router but just direct modem connection then disregard the last part of my post. However, if you need further assistance you should be able to find myself or another player or two on WZ to help you. Another note when you have WZ downloaded go to "other games" room not the BotF room. Good luck. :)
Omnituens
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Omnituens »

I did a seach, and got back "No suitable matches were found." I assumed it was due to the fact I had not posted anything and there was a minimum post count to do searches.

Ok, so software rendering, no cheating (duh), I'm currently running the muti-installer version but with no mods or alterations other than disabling borg (5 games in a row they turn up sub turn 100 :( ). Having looked at some of the other threads for online play, I saw that host should always click turn last too.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Sorry you didn't have any luck with the search function :) (hope I didn't sound to harsh on that point in my previous post :) )

Good luck and have fun.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”