Multi player action

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Multi player action

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I started a game with ruthlessferengi today, vanilla, t5 large irregular. ruthlessferengi took Federation while I took the Klingon Empire.
New multi installer rc2 1024 with hob patch
we played on Gameranger since Warzone is inactive currently
ruthlessferengi window 10 fullscreen DxWnd
I was on windows 7 windowed DxWnd

looks like we are down to the final battle, so will report more tomorrow also. will also try to get some screenshots of battle

I started out a little slow, by colonizing 6 systems and making friends with the Vulcans and Ullians for some trade income. It did not take long before I was running out of credits. :???: And while exploring I first came across the Ferengi, So I immediately declared war on them to stop free trade. So they started building their fleet as we went to war. I had several small battle with them until I started occupying most of there system around turn 70 I had them down to 3 system (home world and 1 original starting system and a weak colony) all of the system assaults had weakened my fleet. I lost 2 full squads of Kvorts, but still had 2 full squads left. so went for final push to eliminate their empire. It did not go well and lost 12 of my 18 kvorts. I was worried that ruthlessferengi would see his opportunity to finish me off since we had just meet and I had not seen his fleet or where he was located.

So I left what little I had left of my Kvorts at Ferenginar and built a starbase while I start my rebuild. I was in much better shape with the occupied systems and could support many new ships. after building a small brel fleet to explore I started back into Kvort and TT production. By this point the Romulans and Cardassians had found me and every one declared war on me. (I suspect the feds offered/accepted some war pacts) while searching for my next victims my small brel fleet had some bad luck with neutrons stars and endless wormholes. :sad: But I did locate the general area of Romulans and took my Kvorts down south. I guess ruthlessferengi was keeping the cards at bay since I saw only one of their ships at this point.

Romulans only had a few systems (6 or 7) so I started my assault. I did very well until I assaulted Romulus, but only lost 7 Kvorts of my 40 some odd Kvorts. and I was at the final romulan system with low population so I just bombarded it and killed all life. my last scout spotted a federation starbase 2 sectors away so I cloaked and went to destroy it (just to say hi to ruthlessferengi) I guess ruthlessferengi had the same idea since on the same turn he landed on the dead romulan system I just wiped out with his entire fleet and destroyed all my TT's and last scout ship. I was very close to upgrading my Kvorts so I re-assigned everything I could to research and got them to upgrade the next turn. now we have a good battle tomorrow.

being on Game ranger we had several crashes mostly ntdll errors but was always able to continue.

can't wait for our final battle tomorrow.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Multi player action

Post by Flocke »

good luck :up:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

here is update of game,

ruthlessferengi and I played a game of cat and mouse for awhile, he tried to cut off my fleet by destroying my systems and starbase, while I was searching for sol.

just as I found sol he was assaulting Zakdorn to freeze my ships on sol. but he stopped his assault early and was able to build new shipyard and power it on the next turn. he was expecting for me to drop my cloak as I assaulted sol so he could attack me. So I turned the table and went after him at zakdorn.
During the cat and mouse it gave me time to upgrade to weapons 10 just to give my Kvort II's a little extra firepower :wink:

battle was my 47 Kvort II's vs his 30 heavy destroyer II's and 35 heavy cruisers II's plus a few other scouts and misc ships.

My first turn cloaked I went after all of his fast attack and destroyed them all. :grin:
second turn while uncloaked it was time for his command ships, by then I was right on top of all his remaining command ships and it was a quick kill.

he asked to try again, but asked me to go into battle uncloaked, I agreed

first turn I did same and took out all his destroyers, but lost a few Kvorts
second turn went after his command it was A glorious battle he took out 27 of my Kvorts this time. in the end of that battle I still had 18 Kvorts still intact.

here is a couple screenshot of second battle
battle.png
battle.png (431.5 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
battle1.png
battle1.png (242.34 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

great battle! :D
these Kvorts always are a hard match
wonder what's the best tactic to counter them
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote:wonder what's the best tactic to counter them
1. build command cruiser II for extra 640 attack point
2. have 4 ships to every 1 Kvorts
3. play as Romulans
4. catch them uncloaked

other than that not much

btw I was in negative credits per turn almost all game, and had to scrap a kvort for every 3 I built. :shock:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

the best tactic probably is to avoid them :lol:
but if artillery ships were not so slow they'd be a great addition to counter the Kvorts too as they keep larger distance and have massive firepower.
Mr. Federationn
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Mr. Federationn »

Or play the Romulans and build a massive fleet of WarBirds and catch the K'Vorts DeCloaked
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

fun game! wish i did not stop bombing zakdorn as it would have stranded him on sol then i go kling space and lay waste:) but yes, wanted to liberate it! kvorts are a hard match. uncloaked catch with lots of spy ships set to ram - nothing else will work, and attacking early before he uprades! great game, even in game ranger it was reasonably stable
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi and I had another vanilla game testing RC3/RC4,

Ferengi vs Romulan T5 many minors large impossible.
this time we both used windows 10 systems RF used fullscreen DxWnd while I used windowed DxWnd on Game ranger.
game lasted 150 turn with only 1 sync error and no crashes.

This was a friendly game, we meet early and signed an affiliation treaty for trade and range. As Romulans I encountered the Cardassians very early and they hit me hard with intel attacks until I was able build up my intel, this did a lot of damage to my systems early. :sad: I quickly rebuilt and they became the victims of intel and planetary assaults :twisted:

around turn 130 I had eliminated the cardassians and a few turns later ruthlessferengi finished of the klingons. We set 15 turns to regroup and meet for final combat. ruthlessferengi requested a few extra turns and I agreed (this may have been my down fall in final combat)

In final battle I was out numbered and out gunned 2 to 1, ruthlessferengi was able to nullify my cloak advantage with some Yridians scouts. My fleet was split between 34 scouts II and 31 battle cruisers II and only 6 warbird. I dont think I even did very much damage to his fleet of 48 war cruiser II and 36 raider II, 6 strike cruiser and 5 Yridians scouts.

I was able to get 1 screenshot before I was obliterated.
combat.png
combat.png (209.56 KiB) Viewed 8827 times
fun game
Weedwacker
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Weedwacker »

I think I might install gameranger, its been awhile and I'm on a fresh pc now.
skeeteruk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by skeeteruk »

When you say you had dxwind what exactly do you do with those as me and a friend installed botf through multi installer vanilla and installed mpr++ in hopes of no crashes during 3d battles etc. I dont think he used dxwind and i didnt i.e opened it up and did anything with it. As mpr++ opened default in window mode anyhow so didnt see the point.

So is dxwind necessary and if so how do u use it exactly and whats it exactly for?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

DxWnd and mpr++ should not be use together.
skeeteruk wrote:So is dxwind necessary and if so how do u use it exactly and whats it exactly for?
DxWnd is a dll hooking program that simulates older versions of DirectX. is it necessary? no, but in my opinion the game runs much better with less crashes when combined with evade/retreat patch.

btw the new version of multi installer (released 7-2-16) has option to install both DXwnd and evade/retreat patch. :wink:
skeeteruk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by skeeteruk »

We downloaded multi installer last night, we left all the tick boxes and what knots and picked vanilla when asked. (think it was multi installer than asks that, unless it was mpr++ that did).

Ok so thats a no to opening up dxwind then when playing with mpr++, gotcha. :) Btw do you use mpr++ as i thought it was the big game changer with regards to crashing in 3d battles due to a new engine used (however it was inserted over default one) and was a must for all botf mp players? If not why if i can ask?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

skeeteruk wrote:Btw do you use mpr++ as i thought it was the big game changer with regards to crashing in 3d battles due to a new engine used (however it was inserted over default one) and was a must for all botf mp players? If not why if i can ask?
mpr++ is great, but is still in experimental alpha stage and has some bugs. Also is limited in coverage of mods. as for crashes mpr++ does great for combat since it replaces old 3d engine.

as for MP games and general game play I use DxWnd, mainly due to less crashes in general and it works with any mod.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”