Which Mods Support MP?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Which Mods Support MP?

Post by TheDragon »

The vanilla game plus fluid's Multiplayer Mod both work fine for my friends and I. We tried Balance of Power, Balance of Power Large, and Mirror-Mirror on MP and got sync errors right from the start.

Which Mods and Variants support multiplayer play?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Which Mods Support MP?

Post by thunderchero »

I don't think it has ever been tested, the only one I know of is Error correction mod that has code that causes sync errors. (Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit patch)
TheDragon wrote: I love the Mirror-Mirror Mod, but I get a sync error right from the start every time I try multiplayer
this surprises me, mirror mirror mod has very few code changes.
TheDragon wrote:Tried the All Ages Mod. There is no map display and you cant move ships, but the right click menus work. Any idea why?
was this installed using "All in One"? if so this is an installer error. I should have a replacement uploaded soon.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Yes, All Ages Mod was installed with the All In One. I am only using the All In One installer at this time (and thank you SO much for that!).

I am going to play a little bit with my installs and make sure I am testing things correctly on my end. Mirror Mirror is definately the mod I am targetting, although my friends want a LARGE map variant. If you have a recommendation for a LARGE map variant for MP I am all ears!

If you need any information regarding my problems, let me know what you need and I will provide it!

Thanks for all your help!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:If you have a recommendation for a LARGE map variant for MP I am all ears!
Ultimate mod 5 has larger maps (large 40 x 30)
No Building upgrade mod has large version
Ultimate Dominion mod has large version

also you could just use UE and QD's res patch to edit map yourself then share the edited trek.exe with your friend.
TheDragon wrote:If you need any information regarding my problems, let me know what you need and I will provide it!
just retest/reinstall once replacement installer released.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I might try to edit trek.exe if I cant find a large map mod I like. I hope the learning curve isnt too steep.

I did get Mirror-Mirror working on MP. I was using the same computer, but I was testing with a different second machine. I did the installs the same on all three comps, so somewhere on the one comp is something messing things up. I will have to recheck all the options on that system and see if I can track it down.

I will test the three you suggested. Thanks for your input.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

This topic might interest you.

here is a discussion from a few weeks ago on multi player games.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3515#p47110
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

The more I play Mirror Mirror Mod, the more I want to change the map size for the large map to 60x45 and the medium map to 40x30. It seems to me I have to open trek.exe with UE and change the Galaxy Generation settings for Map Size to my desired values. Then I have to change the other settings appropriately. I think I have the values I want:

Current Values:

Wd x Ht sector size alignment multi Irreg Ellip Ring Spiral avg Obj

Small 13 x 10 38 7.6 4 3 4 3 48

Medium 16 x 12 31 6.2 4 4 4 4 70

Large 25 x 18 20 4.0 6 6 6 6 90

Zoom In 60 12

Irregular Density: 0.6

Proposed New Values:

Wd x Ht sector size alignment multi Irreg Ellip Ring Spiral avg Obj

Small 25 x 18 20 4.0 6 6 6 6 90

Medium 40 x 30 12 2.4 8 8 8 8 200

Large 60 x 45 8 1.6 12 12 12 12 350

Zoom In 60 12

Irregular Density: 0.6

Not sure what to do with the Zoom In and Irregular Density values, if anything.

So I save it and...then what? Do I just have to share the edited trek.exe or is there something I need to do with QD's res patcher first?

I read your post on MP...alot of good stuff there. We already practice most of it already. Just curious, is there anything I should disable in Mirror Mirror Mod to improve multiplayer? You said something about "Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit". Do I need to do this? And if so, how is it done.

Thanks again for your help!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Then I have to change the other settings appropriately. I think I have the values I want:
you should check out this tutorial if you have not already.
large-map-generation-chart-and-tutorial-for-ue
TheDragon wrote:So I save it and...then what? Do I just have to share the edited trek.exe or is there something I need to do with QD's res patcher first?
Yes save it, if editing 800 x 600 no other editing is needed. But if 1024 or 1366 version you would need to run QD's res patcher to reset values for map to properly display (alignment values)

to do this first extract all files from stbof.res to empty folder. (These files are needed to be read by QD's res patcher on next step)
next run respatch.exe locate the trek.exe you just saved.
locate the folder with res files
set resolution width and height
select patch button
then test edited trek.exe
TheDragon wrote:Just curious, is there anything I should disable in Mirror Mirror Mod to improve multiplayer?

nope, it was a very simple mod created before all of the code changes were discovered.
TheDragon wrote:Do I need to do this? And if so, how is it done.
You can use QD's patcher that can be installed with the All in One installer to add/remove patches
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=2515
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

thunderchero wrote:
TheDragon wrote:Then I have to change the other settings appropriately. I think I have the values I want:
you should check out this tutorial if you have not already.
large-map-generation-chart-and-tutorial-for-ue
AH! Now I understand! Thank you for pointing me here.

Once I edit my trek.exe, all I have to do is pass that file to any friend with Mirror Mirror Mod installed and we are good to go, right?

*crosses fingers*

Here is hoping I dont screw anything up!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Once I edit my trek.exe, all I have to do is pass that file to any friend with Mirror Mirror Mod installed and we are good to go, right?
correct, and good luck
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Success!

Everything looks good so far. Need to evaluate some maps to see if map generation is truely functioning properly. Two quick things:

1) Map density seems pretty sparse. Its like the same resources as a normal large map scattered across this vast area. I think I can just adjust the number of objects up for the various map sizes to alter the density of objects?

EDIT: Map Density on Spiral. Irregular seems a little light, but not as bad. I obviously need to test map generation, but on large maps that takes alot of time.

2) How hard is it to alter the range of the level 1 scout vessels for all races. I love them (romulan scout is amazing looking) but one of my players doesn't like the medium range limit on them (we like to start on T2 and build up from there). I actually like the way it plays, but if it isn't too hard I will change it.

Thank you SO much for your help! I am just getting into a nice T2 game as The Terran Empire on a 60x45 map. Need to test my work properly!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:1) Map density seems pretty sparse.
this is a little more difficult to fix here is a topic
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=587&p=17052#p17052
TheDragon wrote:2) How hard is it to alter the range of the level 1 scout vessels for all races.
this can be done with UE easily, then just share stbof.res.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

How hard is it to tweak the starting pops of the empire home systems? Running into some balance issues for MP. Any chance there is a nifty topic on this one?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:How hard is it to tweak the starting pops of the empire home systems? Running into some balance issues for MP. Any chance there is a nifty topic on this one?
home worlds you can edit with UE (open stbof.res) edit/galaxy/planets, in that list of planets you will find all the home world planets. You can adjust pop bonus for more pop or increase planet size for larger pop.

for the additional starting systems (start expanded or advanced) here is post info
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=2929#p8435

but you might want to check this topic, it is an index of most of the available changes.
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=2924#p40658
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Ok...I made the change to the scout range and shared...and I ran into sync error. Are there any files besides trek.exe and stbof.res that need to be shared with my friends?

I also dove into modding wholesale and tweaked some things to balance it a little for MP and add a few surprises for my friends. I did a little copy ship and edit it to give a few minor races vessels. I changed the diplomacy a little for minor races. And I tweaked some buildings slightly.

1) Still only need to share the same 2 files?

2) Anything I need to do with the minor races to get them to use their nice shiney new ships? Or make sure they have dilithium?

3) Should I just buckle down and become the supporter of the Mirror Mirror Mod Large mod? Would that get it a slot on the all in one? (and remove my paranoia about file swapping and compatibility)

Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”