Tournament 3 2009 Balance of power winner ruthlessferengi

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Just to give an update. I was Ferg and Brandy was Feds

Nothing really happened in this game except i build my structures, then tried to build fleet an upgraded.

Brandy and I had been trying to load our battle in BOP. We had reached around turn 80 something i think and it was bout 40 ish sovvie 2 and 3 fast attack Vs 40 command (half assault half mauraders) and 16 raiders (all 3 types ship upgraded) and a starbase.

Despite our best efforts it continually crashed. We were going to split the fleet somehow when Brandy revealed he had 8 dill against my 2... 8O 8O

With the initial rounds of combat suggesting that Ferengi ships were coming off worse, and no foreseeable way to outbuild Brandy I rather guttedly decided to surrender.

Well done Brandy and good luck with your next game. :wink:

JBL
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi enterprise & wesley

Looking at updated bracket I see enterprise is through to play ruthlessferengi in round 2.

Is that a win for enterprise or a no show from wesley and is there a report of the game?

Regards

Pigman
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

wesley told enterprise computer problems still. and it is too late to extend again.

thunderchero
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

thunderchero
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wesley told enterprise computer problems still. and it is too late to extend again.

thunderchero
Thanks for the feedback thunderchero. Naturally I'm sad for wesley missing out on chance to become BOP Multiplayer champ, but not sad that he's no longer in my half of the bracket.

However, if I manage to get past dx_chaos (by no means certain), I'll have the dubious pleasure of meeting either enterprise or ruthlessferengi.

Does this also give wesley problems for the final of FTM tournament?

Regards

Pigman
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Pigman wrote:Does this also give wesley problems for the final of FTM tournament?
no comment at this time

thunderchero
dx_chaos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by dx_chaos »

Hi all

A quick note on my game with Pigman. I have conceded at approx turn 80. I played Klings and Pigman took Roms. Pigman has previously described the action up to about turn 60. Folowing our battle - I had to fall back and this allowed Pigman to move on the ferengi - eventually he took them all.

Cutting a long story short we finally met up, I had 22 Battleship 2 and 15-20 mainly Heavy Bop but they were no match for Pigmans fleet of very experienced WB, Strike Cruisers and Destroyers. Continuing at this stage was pointless and i therefore conceded.

I just wanted to record here what a pleasure it was to play Pigman - he was a real gentleman and a very honourable opponent (despite being a Rom!). I generally dont like losing - but it isnt so bad to lose to someone like him. I wish him all the best in the rest of the tourny and look forward to one day getting my revenge!! :wink:
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to dx_chaos for a game that was great fun while it lasted (actually turn 82).

I think we both felt cheated by the constant battle induced crashes that occured on the following turn and I have to say that although the retire graphs had me ahead, there was plenty left in this game and dx_chaos was a gentleman and a scholar to concede at the time that he did.

My last report took us to turn 60 and we had 2 sessions since this, taking us to turn 76 and tonight up to turn 82.

After turn 60, when I had won a major battle, with a large number of ships still intact, I felt that the game was within my grasp, but the beauty of BOP is that even after a major loss, you are only weakened, not neccessarily out of it.

Over the next 16 turns I retook Bolarus and immediately bought the bonus intel structure and then retook Gemma, which was a small dilithium system that dx_chaos had taken from me.

Taking the last Ferengi system and Bersallis, which was one of my original home systems that dx_chaos had taken, was proving more problematical due to the increased difficulty in planetary assault, coupled with the fact that dx_chaos had built himself a large fleet very quickly and was hovering near to both these systems, waiting to pounce on any weakened forces.

Retire screen at turn 76 shows he was on way to recovery after dip when battle happened turn 60

I attempted to take last Ferengi system on my first turn of the evening and failed with more TTs lost, however, I did take out some of their orbitals and it was enough for me to take system on next turn. By this time dx_chaos' fleet was only 2 squares from mine and ominous, not in terms of numbers, but because of the power of his Negh'var IIs.

I had started building TTs at about 9 systems, so 9 TTs per turn, so as to attempt to take back Bersallis, but dx_chaos was building orbitals here and had a very decent ground combat rating, so it was going to be tough.

Plus the fact that his growing fleet was again only 2 squares from this system. After building loads of TTs, I was just starting build Mark 9 intel structures at about 10 systems, giving me 10 more per turn, in the hope that I could do some more serious intel damage.

I think the best intel attacks so far had given me a BoP (B'Rel) and destroyed 5 mark 9 intel structures.

I moved the above TTs to Bersallis with a few Strike Cruisers as cover and moved my main fleet between this system and dx_chaos' fleet.

Once the TTs were in place was I to drop back to Bersallis and try and retake it (I imagined that that was the expected manouvre) or something different.

Instead, I decided to engage his fleet, but in a moment of madness I forgot to take at least 1 TT with me to be the uncloaked ship.

Battle was joined:-

dx_chaos had 22 x Negh'Vars (BS II), 26 x K'Vort (Hv BoP III), 2 x K'T'Inga (BC V), 9 x B'Rel (BoP) and a TT. He told me after that K'Vorts would have upgraded next turn!!

I had 20 x WB V, 14 x SC IV, 50 X Dest V and 1 x stolen BoP. At least a third of my ships were between veteren and legendary. As far as I could see none of dx_chaos' ships were more than regular.

On this basis I expected to win, but hadn't planned to give a free shot by not bringing an uncloaked ship. Such an error in other mods could be decisive, but with the long battles and relatively low damage inflicted per turn it's hardly a disaster.

Only problem was that once I realised my mistake, I could either take a morale sapping retreat or attack his TT and then evade on next combat turn. I assume that this caused a crash every time we tried, so we tried a couple of different things, but we never got our battle going properly.

dx_chaos felt that he was behind at this point and has other things on his mind at present anyway (Qapla with your impending event BTW) so he graciously conceded the game.

I took a battle screen shot, but I think by this time dx_chaos had crashed and I was probably against the AI.

Lots of Warbirds and Negh'Vars getting upclose and personal.

The retire screen at the end looked like this

As you can see dx_chaos was closing the gap again and I believe that it would have taken a very long time to win with careful play and dx_chaos made it as hard as possible.

When you get the time, I'm sure you'll get your revenge and I would like to thank you again for a superb game played in the right spirit.

Regards

Pigman
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi all

Don't know whether it's escaped everyone's notice or not, but if you look at bracket for this tournament and go back through posts, you'll see that out of 6 games reported on, all empires have won once apart from the Feds with 2 wins.

From my perspective that gives some reasonable evidence that BoP achieves what it says on the tin i.e. a balance of power.

It seems with this mod that you can take any empire and if you play well, have a reasonable hope of winning.

BTW, CRAZYGOOPDOG and mickar, you had reported on a couple of sessions of your Rom V Fed game a while back. Are you expecting to finish soon?

And enterprise, ruthlessferengi, have you started or starting soon?

Best regards

Pigman
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

We've been stuck trying to finish our battle, crashing constantly. We'll keep tryng. btw, when is the deadline to finish this round?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I would like to see second round completed by sunday june 7, but with the late start of ruthless/enterprise match I expect them to ask for extention.

so what needs to be done with your match Mickar and crazygoopdog?

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

thunderchero wrote:so what needs to be done with your match Mickar and crazygoopdog?
Well, just make the time to finish. To tell you the truth, I've lost interest in this mod but I'll make an effort to finish. Our game is far from over, btw. It won't matter who wins the battle, the loser will just make another fleet. We already had one big battle and that loser quickly made another fleet and we're back to where we started, lol.

I'll keep you posted and may just concede if our battle continues to be stuck as the fun is gone from repeated crashes and reloads.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

enterpise and i had our battle, he chose klings, i went with roms.

I was in the East, cardi R upper corner, kling center, feds at 12 and ferengi at 7 pm...

built fast, researched warbird 6, and with 4 squadrons and all in the red went out to get some experience... fought cardies, ferengi starbases, got range to ferenginar and finally landed in ferenginar for a massive fight. Emerged all bedecked with dots etc. Meanwhile was slowly building two fleets of TTs, and 2 fleets of spyships....

Showed up at Qronos, asked for battle but Enterprise declined... Thant's when I got in trouble...

i had ships lined up at building docks, had about -2000 per turn and 2200 total cash with 3 ships due next turn... so i decided NOT to scrap anything.... Right? wrong...

next turn, i am in credit deficit of - 1000,.... So i move 2 strikers and a TT for a scrap... no biggie... Wrong again... - i scrap, my deficit is -3000 now... All my shipyards go to money making, i lose all near complete projects, i move 5 vet warbirds (6000 each) scrap them and ( by that moment i have -12000 in red, and +100 per turn) - after scrap, i am ... well, -3000 in red... Totally weird...
So i scrap 2 squadrons of vet warbirds ... BArely get out of red ... Man, must say when in credit deficit, scraps don't work...

I had only 2 dils then, so I slowly rebuild warbirds... I wiped out cardies before this mortgage disaster struck me, so I have 10 warbirds and 3000 plus per turn... Fortunatley i did not scrap my tts and destroyers...

so i went to cardassia in slowly got them conquered... I could not afford to lose an any tts so i lined them up wait a turn, only to realise they self=rearragned and went between spy ships and heavies... so i'd line them up again, wait a turn, only to find them rascals all jumbled up... so I just made them all separated at the end of the ship, and ordered 22 individual tts strikes... almost had a carpal tunnel flare up there..

with 6 cardassian systems and 6 dils in total, i was set. I made 3 squadrons of warbirds, 3 squadrons of stikers, a few spy ships and tts.. parked them in klingon space, uncloaked and braced for impact...

Enterpirse showed up. Fortunately he did not build any heavy 1000 worth hull monsters... we had a duke out, i emerged on the other side of the blood bath, he conceded defeat...

I used intel a lot, got a few food structures killed, stole some money, and sabotaged his researched...

overall, a very enjoyable game and hats off to Enterprise, a true klingon
Gentleman, if there is such a thing:)

if i knew how to attach files, i'd show you our last battle but alas, i don't know the magic button... Enterpirse can fill in the rest...
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
ruthlessferengi

one more thing...
i see a few people are disappointed in this mod... what i can say is this..

this is not vanilla and vanilla tactics don't work here... this mod makes for a tenacious competition of very economically sound empires - with all races having a good shot at the win.... battles are long... some crash - true - but most of the time only if massive amounts are ships are set to EVADE = that's a guaranteed crash in any mod... so don't use evade

ai can be vicious so if you don't put a choke collar on the ferengi early on and then every 30 turns - watch out for troubles...

ai gives out cash like there is no tomorrow... in one single player game i got 130 grand from Ferengi, then 220 grand from Feds then 150 grand from ferengi... not to worry, each AI declaired war on me again so my klingon pride was not wounded... all before turn 40:))) how this is NOT fun??

if starting from ealier levels, i can tell you the game play is very enjoyable but you can't expect to enjoy this mod if you don't know the stats for the ships and economies... that's a bummer because knowledge of the vanilla stats does not really help here... a totally different game and should be viewed in its' own light and perspective...

I like UDM - but there is something very special about this mod that i can't quite figure out... a nice balance of things. correct me if i am wrong. cheers :)

mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

ruthlessferengi,

This mod could be great if it wasn't so ridiculously easy to make ships.

You know a mod is good when people play it in multi player. udm people are playing it every day and not tournament. I don't see people playing bop unless it's the tourney.

I don't mean to be overly hard on this mod but I sincerely want it to be a playable mod. Change the production and people would play it.
ruthlessferengi

while micromanagement and creation of a fleet is very enjoyable part of the vanilla, i do believe by magically making ships creation more than affordable we can truly lose ourself in a grandious delirium of massive covert multi-fleet universe take over with reckless abandon.... particularly now that the map size is increased.... what i resented about vanilla is that you have only one shot at the survival - with the fleet gone you can't really bounce back and that just flies in the face of the idea of enduring species that inhabit the cosmos..

now, i daresay, once the ships are created then the task is to overcome equally powerful and rejuvenable fleet of your opponenet only to bleed out on the jagged orbitals of your nemesis' homeworld; then to crawl back to your lair, arise like phenix, repeat...

so, it's not like vanilla, and it was not meant to be... but with very few ships in the vanilla (precious and expensive, with no hope of re- spawning back to life in cylone'sque type of fashion) - you just can't afford to step up to the plate of grandious delusions and, well, re-enact them...

don't drink and write, i tell ya :) pardon my wine on the subject... :)

Return to “Multiplayer Games”