multi player raid and scrap discussion

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

thunderchero,

Good observation.

I entered bop tournament only because I want to play. Time and time again I've sat in warzone waiting for a game with no takers.

Even though bop rewards the bad players by making them more equal to the good players, I would rather play that than nothing at all.

I don't play to win anymore, not many good vets left for a challenging game, I play to have fun.

And fun for me is more important than winning.

Cheers
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

mickar wrote:If you are not 'comfortable' with 1.02 then you are choosing the wrong opponents.
Hellooohoo *knock*, *knock* anybody in there?
The "Flocke Tournament Mod", previously named "1.0.3 Tournament Mod", is based upon 1.0.3 mod, you are still argumenting against 1.0.3 mod. I didn't create 1.0.3 and I even didn't create this tournament modification of that mod.

I am not comfortable with 1.0.2 and if you say I've played the wrong players, maybe people like RSE_QuakeDevil, RSE_Dissy, RSE_Chris (to name people I'm sure you know well about) are the wrong ones, yeah, maybe, but I think they have played well and I have had many joyful vanilla games. I think I even played you once ago.

These games being exciting and sometimes balanced between players don't stop me wanting to improve, lessen and balance the game annoyances. :P
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Flocke,

No need to be rude.

Anyway, I've played both QD and Dissy many many times. Most of those games have been enjoyable and balanced. In none of those games did anyone have a tactical advantage due to raiding each other, a major or scrapping and pocketing the cash. Why? Simple. We are of comparable skill level. I can't remember playing Chris in single.

So, based on my experience playing those vet players and many many others, I see no need to change the raid or scrap thing.

Obviously your opinion differs. Let's leave it at that, ok?
dx_chaos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by dx_chaos »

A good player wouldn't allow himself to be raided. I don't know who you've been playing but if they allow this then they are inexperienced. Or if they've played alot of games and still allow this, then they are just bad players. Like I said, some people can play botf better than others as it should be.
Mickar, I have read your comments with interest and maybe you are right in everything you say above, certainly you are entitled to that view.

However as one of the people (along i think with severenth - and possibly many others!) who was on the other end of a raiding by flocke i thought i'd add my twopence worth.

I am certainly not "inexperienced" - I have been playing on and off since the start of this game and i would say i am ok at the game (though certainly rusty). However to suggest as you seem to that 1.02 is "the greatest game" and wouldnt benefit from some of the changes discussed is my opinion wrong

BTW - I was also interested in this quote
I would suggest that flocke or you play opponents with a higher skill level. You could play me and I guarantee you this raiding thing won't be an issue.
Why don't you test this theory by playing Flocke at T5 Small with him as Roms perhaps? - you might be proved right! :)

Chaos
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Why don't you test this theory by playing Flocke at T5 Small with him as Roms perhaps? - you might be proved right! :)
An excellent idea. I'll take fed, you know, to give him a chance.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

My opinion differs, right, and I already told that changes of 1.0.3 have a main influence on my demand to lessen raiding, but you don't seem to know the 1.0.3 mod and why it has been created the way it is, nor do you seem to have played it to argument on it's needs.

And balancing doesn't have to aim balance between players. Although there in fact are main differences between empires on raiding, due to romulan being the only one that can cloak it's destroyers for example, balancing here is especially aiming the game's economic system.

I always hated the build-upgrade-scrap abusement and with 1.0.3 raiding became one of the next most powerful abusement bugs of botf in it's economic system, so it needs balance in the 1.0.3 mod, trying to face these annoyences.

You are one of very few exceptions so far that I've heard that they like these annoyances...
But have your mind, I have mine, as you stated. ;)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

any suggestions for name of post when these post are split?

Changes in vanilla, 1.0.3, and flockes mod in MP games?

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

thunderchero wrote:any suggestions for name of post when these post are split?

Changes in vanilla, 1.0.3, and flockes mod in MP games?

thunderchero
How about:

Suggestions to take away the skill level of the good players and increase the skill level of the bad players? :twisted:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

what about "vanilla is killin me"? :lol: or how to use stupid bugs
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Mon May 18, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Or, 'I keep losing at vanilla, what can you change so I can finally win a game? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

How about "Postcards from a Brighton rockshop"......

or

"How to make and bake a Souffle for a party of 12!".....
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
severenth
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by severenth »

perhaps we should start using " O'Rly " owls and " LOL Catz "
Last Multiplayer Game :-
update pending
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I would like to make my final comment on this post (I hope)

Vanilla 1.0.2 "there is only one"!!!!!!!!

all others are mods

Yes even 1.0.3

I never really like the idea of it being called "the new vanilla" But so many members think of it this way I have started calling it that myself.
I prefer playing with many of the bug fixes, and yes some of the things that was edited were not bugs. But I only changed them to make a better game experiance for all.

And I still feel that it has done that.

I also feel flocke tournament mod has gone a little further for a better game experiance in multiplayer games. But as all mods this is a never ending project.

I also want to state when a person takes many many months of his time to develop any mod we should never compare his work to "vanilla 1.0.2"

in most cases the modder is going for an all new feel to the game and has his own ideas on how game play should be. :wink:

Most modder incourage suggestion but;
mickar wrote:End of rant.

rants like above are not needed. this discouages most modders, and have seen many mods never get completed due to this type of behavior. :x

This forum has always been the most helpful and informative Birth of the federation forum anywhere. I want to keep it this way.

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

rants like above are not needed. this discouages most modders, and have seen many mods never get completed due to this type of behavior.
thunderchero,

I stated my opinion only. I clearly said that at the beginning:
No offense but it seems to me, and only in my humble opinion, that the changes you want are to serve one purpose only
I meant no disrespect and apologize if someone took offense.

But my opinions are valid and also should not be discouraged. Modders, even if they are just tweaking the original game, should be able to accept criticism. If you want yes men, I'm not your man.

I also used to mod with fluidhat, back in the day. So, it's not as if I'm talking from left field here.
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Personally, I don't think raiding is an issue.

'Fixing' the 100%+ for raiding, would then also call into question how intel and research bonuses can be more than 100% too.

I was just discussing mods in the warzone - I don't like the feeling of having my hand held all the way through the game, which I feel fixing things like this, would contribute to.

Raiding can be a 2-way thing, and can certainly be overcome. Let's not make BOTF 'too' realistic to the point it loses some of its fun and required player ingenuity.

Luckily, a 'mod' can be used as people see fit. If people don't like the changes made, don't use it.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”