A 'friendly' battle

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

A 'friendly' battle

Post by RSE_Chris »

Mickar and I seem to play many 1on1s, so we thought we would share some screenshots from one of our games.

Using tourney rules, we had a Kling (me) vs Fed (Mickar) game.

Started next to each other on a T5 medium, so my aim was to go in early for the kill.

I managed to gather about 50k in demands, and this was my fleet before the battle, ready to go on to try and take Sol:

And this was the battle that followed on turn 24:

It was a a good battle, though unfortunately the Klingons must have been drunk, only managing to take down but a handful of Fed ships. :?

Ultimately, Mickar won this one.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

And from my point of view:

After battle view

I got around 60-70 demand.

Note to Flocke - please don't make a 'no demand mod'. 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by mickar on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

It's funny playing 4 or 5 person games against you guys because your ship building capabilities are equal to ours. I'm still trying to figure out the best method for demanding from the AI. It's kind of weird that demanding from the AI is what will eventually win a game not some kind of of genious tactics, just asking for money! lol
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I don't remember playing a 4 or 5 person game vs you trev.

Demanding from ai is a learned skill. Takes practice and not everyone can do it. Usually, I will get around 50k per game.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi guys

Demanding money or not, that's phenominal shipbuilding for the number of turns played.

I take it you both had good start systems and possibly extra Dil?

But whichever way, very impressive.

Frustrating, in a way though, that the game seems to hang on how quick you build and then on who is victorious in the first big battle.

Regards

Pigman
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Well if you wanted to be annoying you could build a crapload of OB's after losing fleet and wait for them to come to you!!
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

As you can see on the map, they didn't have special systems and at least mickar didn't have extra dilithium in the beginning.
However, with taking benefit of demands, I can't see anything special about this game. Nice one though.

The problem with damanding money from ai is that it needs some special experience, and some luck, luck at least for me. It works best when ai already is at war, still has a good economy and likes you. And you need to get them fearing your fleet, so best fly around at it's border, prepared for invasion.
In my experience, for the klingon it is easiest to demand money from ai.
When ai begins hating you too much, go at war and with your fleet being superior they often offer peace again together with some more money. In later turns the ferengi even tends to give some 100000 credits just for peace. With having peace, they become neutral again and you can continue demanding more money.

Mickar, be assured, I really desire a fix for it. Anyway, I never ever created a mod for botf and I have other things to concentrate on.

As for the dilithium, you don't need it. Having less dilithium than needed, there exists something like a sequence in which order the systems obtain the dilithium. If one of them isn't finishing it's ship in that turn, the dilithium won't get substracted, causing all remaining systems to be able building ships. That's an obvious bug, but some still call it a future and named it shadow dilithium.

Additionally, in vanilla you can easily make huge amounts of money by raiding, but for a turn 20 game like this one it has a minor influence. Just keep building ships on each system, get money by demanding ai and bye the ships whenever they have two turns remaining (better scrap ships when money comes short than not buying). Don't build anything else but maybe an intelligence energy building and a shipyard or a subatomatic simulator.

If ai doesn't give money, you can still try stealing it by sabotaging it's economy. Sometime that works as well.

However, this match didn't have much of a tactical or strategical appearance but chris having underestimated mickars capabilities. It's a typical progress for short tech5 games with knowing and controlling all the tricks I mostly call deficiencies of botf.
And it's one of the reasons I believe in the need for some more adjustments in the direction 1.0.3 has pushed.

But of course it needs some experience and training to play like this, so yes, you can call it a great example for a 1.0.2 t5 game. Well played mickar. :)
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Frustrating, in a way though, that the game seems to hang on how quick you build and then on who is victorious in the first big battle.
I know exactly what you mean. Chris and I play alot of 1 on 1's and every game he makes a massive fleet, predictable as always, and after killing my equally massive fleet, has the nerve to claim victory. :roll: :roll:
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Thank you Pigman.
mickar wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. Chris and I play alot of 1 on 1's and every game he makes a massive fleet, predictable as always, and after killing my equally massive fleet, has the nerve to claim victory. :roll: :roll:
Ahhh.. I don't know what the world is coming to. :)
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Another friendly brought to you by RSE_Chris and mickar. I chose card and Chris chose rom.

Turn 24 view:

Battle view:

After battle view:

You may have noticed that our fleets were abit on the small side and in our defense we did put resources into intel.

The battle was very close, even though I ended up with 6 hc left. Just killing 1 or 2 more on cloak shot and Chris would have won.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Another friendly match between Torrad and myself, I took rom and Torrad took kling.

Turn 20 view:

Battle view:

I did manage to get alittle demand this game. 40 or 50 from ferg, 20 or 30 from fed plus 26 for non, and 10 from card. Give or take as I lost count.
Torrad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Torrad »

In my defence - in this game I only met Cardies, and too early to get any demands from them. I also failed to find any minor races within range and this stopped me meeting ferg's and feds.

That being said, I was totally out played as that battle picture suggests :)

Return to “Multiplayer Games”