Hijacked Starships

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

What do you do with hikacked starships?

Scrap them for credits.
19%
Add them to existing fleets to give them advantages they would otherwise lack (cloaking, etc).
58%
Use them as cannon-fodder on the front lines.
19%
Why steal ships when you can build your own?
3%

Total votes: 67

Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Hijacked Starships

Post by Elim »

I have recently discovered that one of the myriad forms that sabotage can take in the game is through the theft of ships. Personally, I find it a delightful addition for the novelty value alone. By my lights, it hearkens back to many a great moment in the series in which a stolen starship plays a pivotal role in the course of Galactic events.

My enthusiasm notwithstanding, however, I am curious as to whether anyone on these forums distributes their espionage priorities such as to gain ships in this manner and, if so, how (if at all) are said ships then employed?
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

It depends greatly on the situation. As Fed or Cards I would try to focus on stealing ships that have cloak so that eventually I could have a small cloak-able task force.

If the stolen ships in question are a lower tech level I scrap them for credits.
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

that depends on the advantage of the hijacked ship.
for example the cardassian battle ships survive normally orbital fire better than romulan ships do, in such a case I keep the ship.
on the other hand a cardassian destroyer don't really fit to the romulan cloakec destroyer fleets so I scrap them.
Cloakable scouts I keep always, especially if I play a major which lacks the cloaking technology.
life long and prosper
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

all of the above depend what i capture always keep cloaking scouts if playing as feds but scrap if cheap/low tech, somtime play to make a squad of captured ships to confues the enemy
Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

Peter1981 wrote:somtime play to make a squad of captured ships to confues the enemy
I have been meaning to try that myself. Incidentally, which of the espionage specializations would include hijacking in its brief? Sabotage with a military emphasis?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Elim wrote:Incidentally, which of the espionage specializations would include hijacking in its brief? Sabotage with a military emphasis?

Yes. Military sabotage is what gives you the best chance to steal ships.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Sela
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Sela »

is there any way to increase the chance of hijacking a ship besides military sabotage?
Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Badbru »

Sela wrote:is there any way to increase the chance of hijacking a ship besides military sabotage?
Yes, by making sure you have some in visable range. Try to keep some of your forces within scanner range of enemy fleets, or build and power scanner structures on your border worlds.
usane
Ensign
Ensign

Re:

Post by usane »

Badbru wrote: Yes, by making sure you have some in visable range.
Hm. Good to know. I didnt know that. However, i usually play Rom, so not many stolen ship i can use, sometimes play other major then i keep the cloakable ships, or stronger than mine ships.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Hijacked Starships

Post by brianmcfa »

Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships? Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships with ships you've hijacked yourself?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

brianmcfa wrote:Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships? Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships with ships you've hijacked yourself?

Yes and yes. ;) The latter situation is especially surreal when it happens.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

brianmcfa wrote:Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships? Anyone had to battle their own hijacked ships with ships you've hijacked yourself?
I see how this could happen, but not to me because i always sell the hijacked ships for scrap; they just ruin the feng shui of my fleet; and that's not good for morale. :wink:
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

The real test is when you battle one on one with identical ships.

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”