Getting war declared on yourself

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

Brother_Numsey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Getting war declared on yourself

Post by Brother_Numsey »

Ok. So I am fairly new to BOTF, I have played a bit back in 1999-2000 but found the game tough at best. Recently I started playing again, but I am running into a few problems.

I am playing as the Feds in, I guess Vanilla (just the standard unmodded game, right?) and I want to conquer the Cardassians. They subjugated the Zakdorn, Ullians, Betazoids and Bynars. I really want the first three of those minor races for obvious reasons. So for the last 25 turns I have tried my best to get war declared on my empire.

Of course I don't want moral problems, this is another problem I am having though. I have been sabotaging the Cardassians, engaging them in skirmishes and been demanding vast amounts of credits for the past 25 turns. Although the Cardassians are enraged, they just offered me an affiliation treaty!?

I really want war but don't want to declare it. All my systems were loyal/fanatical until 4-5 turns ago, when my non-agression treaty expired with the Ferengi. It subsequently plummeted to content - pleased levels. Also I have to mention that the Cardassians are currently at war with both the Ferengi and the Romulans. Logically I expect this to be the main cause.

I would really appreciate some advice on getting into war as the Federation in general as well.
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

If you start the same sabotage/skirmishes with the Ferengi, it might anger the Romulans enough for the both of them to declare war on you and eventually bring the Cardassians into the war. But then again, you'd be at war with everyone...

Sometimes just being weaker than the AI will cause them to declare war.
Brother_Numsey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Brother_Numsey »

I tried that. It got my some nice experience for my ships but no war. The Ferengi kept on threatening me but no change in diplomacy. I have already accepted a non-aggression agreement now, so that will have to wait another 25 turns.

Alternatively, what is my best chance to get minor races to rebel against their subjugators? If I could acquire them that way, the need for war would less urgent for me and I could wait it out.
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

In that case, I feel as though the morale penalty from declaring war on the Cardies will be balanced out by liberating the minor races...
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I would just declare war. Any initial moral penalty will be less than the future moral bonus you will get from battles, liberations, and final conquest.

If you're stronger than the ai, it won't usually declare war on you, no matter what you do. So why wait? Make your invasion fleet and conquer.
Brother_Numsey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Brother_Numsey »

Ok. I will try taking them to war myself. One other question still though, earlier on I was at war with the Ferengi.

As first step I sieged Ferenginar and layed down martial law. When I was preparing to take the rest of their colonies of their hands, the Borg invaded Benzar, one of my members and 3 sectors from Sol. With my fleet being split between waging war against the Ferengi and raiding the Cardassians at the other end of the galaxy, I chose to take the former to defend the poor Benzites.

I now have a non aggression treaty with the Ferengi with a subjugated Ferenginar in the middle of their territory. The problem is that I have to keep martial law in effect almost non stop. They keep on getting disgruntled or worse.

Is this a problem typical of a subjugated major colony with them being still alive and kicking, or is this a general subjugation problem? Does this mean I have to wipe every Cardassian out of existence? I would prefer simple invasion.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

With no moral buildings available on Ferenginar, you need to boost your moral each turn. Try fighting someone, or hailing a minor ship so it runs away or anything that raises your moral.
Brother_Numsey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Brother_Numsey »

I declared war on the Cardassians and liberated the minors but it resulted in the rest of the galaxy declaring war on me for some reason 4 turns later. I am now in an all out war with every major power, but it keeps the game interesting.

The morality drop was indeed compensated by liberating the minors, although I still can't seem to improve moral in subjugated majors' colonies. No matter how much I win. I guess the only option is total annihilation.
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

yes you must finish conquering fergs. and liberate any system you see for the morale bonus. feds buzz of signing treatys. so offer them out alot.. when offering treaty send it 1 then, AND send it the next turn, they will accept x2, and u get x2 the morale (this also works for minor race friendship/affil but not member)
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Remember that there will always be a drag on moral on subjugated systems, requiring constant moral boosts. If you're lucky enough to meet bajor or edo, get membership and build the moral bonus thing. That will really help.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

RSE_Dissy wrote:when offering treaty send it 1 then, AND send it the next turn, they will accept x2, and u get x2 the morale (this also works for minor race friendship/affil but not member)
There is no morale effect for signing/rejecting minor race friendship/affiliation.

It's readily identifiable via morale value - or even easier - via the missing race-specific (signifies morale-table usage) text line in the events screen.
http://www.members.aon.at/zelli/morale.htm

Whenever - for same event - the number of neutral/shared text lines deviates from the number of race specific this indicates morale anomalies:
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1178
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Brother_Numsey wrote:I have been sabotaging the Cardassians, engaging them in skirmishes and been demanding vast amounts of credits for the past 25 turns. Although the Cardassians are enraged, they just offered me an affiliation treaty!?
they didn't declare war on you because of your strength. scrap some of your ships and they will do in no time.

best solution would be:

1. bribe their minors away
2. if you got all of them declare war (if you declare war b4 bribing all their minors away you will have trouble to get them later)
3. liberate the subjugated systems, get them as members and enjoy moral boost
4. with this immense moral boost you can feel free to subjugate or bombard what is left (of the map :lol:)
Brother_Numsey
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Brother_Numsey »

Thanks for the tip, this seems to do the trick. I scrapped a few ships and got my war in no time.

Finally managed to win the war a different way, since the Romulans also hated the Cardassians i affiliated myself with the Romulans. This allowed them to attack the Cardassians and after a 30 or so turn i was able to easily mop up the pieces.

KrazeeXXL wrote:
Brother_Numsey wrote:I have been sabotaging the Cardassians, engaging them in skirmishes and been demanding vast amounts of credits for the past 25 turns. Although the Cardassians are enraged, they just offered me an affiliation treaty!?
they didn't declare war on you because of your strength. scrap some of your ships and they will do in no time.

best solution would be:

1. bribe their minors away
2. if you got all of them declare war (if you declare war b4 bribing all their minors away you will have trouble to get them later)
3. liberate the subjugated systems, get them as members and enjoy moral boost
4. with this immense moral boost you can feel free to subjugate or bombard what is left (of the map :lol:)
Gertjan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Gertjan »

Wow, there is really a lot of strategy in this game. More than I thought. Interesting!
Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

Brother_Numsey wrote:INo matter how much I win. I guess the only option is total annihilation.
If you are the UFP, a lengthy bombardment will just anger your own population. Anyway, even if you have to constantly look after the morale of the captured system, chances are it is still going to be more of an asset to your empire (with its large tax/industrial base) than a brand-new (and therefore, less productive, less profitable, and harder to defend) colony in the same location (presumably on a hostile border).

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”