BOTF Guide - by Aralon

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

ruthlessferengi wrote:so.. what the guide is telling me, if i assign folk on intel even when i haven't seen anybody, it will help me when i meet the dreaded cardies? am i right?

That's my interpretation of it -- and what's more, it appears to actually work.

I've not done any empirical "research" as such, but I have noticed that successful intel attacks against me seem to be somewhat less frequent now that I've begun placing at least one population point in my databanks/intel centers/etc. early on. I can't swear to it, of course, but there does appear to be a correlation there.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

ruthlessferengi wrote: so.. what the guide is telling me, if i assign folk on intel even when i haven't seen anybody, it will help me when i meet the dreaded cardies? am i right?
Yes. As Martok says, I too have not seen any research to prove this, but from personal experience, it works very well.

Think of it as your intelligence officers training, and gathering intelligence on internal security effectiveness etc. After a few turns of these intel officers training, they are naturally more succesful at penetrating the enemies defense quicker, and holding off intelligence attacks than when only activated when you need them.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

The often bandied tip of only assigning 1% into espionage and sabotage against your enemies seems to work surprisingly well for me at least :)

That makes sense to me, Chris.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

Let me clear this up

Nighthawk,

you said u were building 1 scout per turn
while your hc was building down right?

ok first off

start your hc building down
then, go to the next system, and place 1 (AND ONLY 1 scout) in the build que.. have your industry just below the value needed for 1 turn prod, and BUY the scout

next turn, the scout will be prodded, the system que on the system the scout was built will be empty, and the hc will have built down

Build upon this, read and re-read the bit on phantom dilith, and you will figure out the rest

ALWAYS have your big ship building down first, then check the others

to get 3 systems building simultaneously 3 destroyer

say all systems prod dest in 3 turns

do it like this
turn 1 order 1 dest systemA
order a food replicator(or smth) on systemB, and order another food on systemC

turn 2, your dest will be eta 2 to finish
on system B, order another dest
on system C build an OB or smth

turn 3, your dest will be eta 1 on systemA
your dest will be eta 2 on systemB
and order your eta 3 dest on systemC
(when doing this u must add multiple destroyers)
but beware, once in motion u cannot and must not moved about in the system navigation menu or your phantom dilithium stacking as i call it in this scenario will stop and u'll have a few turns of non-prod on system b/c

hope this helps,

RSE Dissy

edit; would seem pigman might have cleared that up , but there's my clearing of it up also nigfhthawk

FURTHER EDIT:

In terms of intel, and as chris says it works as training

i have also found, in game if u allocate 1%esp90%sabo on your enemy, then 1%esp1%sabo on ALL the other AI races too, your intel is just as bad vs the AI as your other human enemy...recently in game i used it to devastating effect blowing up food on sol, stealing a neghvar and blowing up a cardie hc in the same turn ;) (also have 4%ish on internal security)
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

RSE_Chris wrote:
The_Nighthawk wrote:
RSE_Chris wrote:Just to add an edit to the RSE guide:

"When a minor race upgrades, it does not always terraform every planet. Therefore, terraforming all systems before a minor upgrades is a good idea to ensure a maximum system.
However, it's not a guarantee. At least, it isn't in BoP. It might be in Vanilla, but it's been a while. ;)
It's guaranteed in vanilla. :)
This is difficult to observe in vanilla, but The Nighthawk is correct. As explained here (section 3), each minor race has an internal population number that is capping its population after the advancement "jump". Only after the IPN exceeds the system's maximum population capacity, the minor race can grow to full size.

That being said, it's still a good idea to terraform their planets, because sometimes they'd fail to terraform them on their own, even if they'd not grow to their maximum population.
Martok wrote:
ruthlessferengi wrote:so.. what the guide is telling me, if i assign folk on intel even when i haven't seen anybody, it will help me when i meet the dreaded cardies? am i right?

That's my interpretation of it -- and what's more, it appears to actually work.

I've not done any empirical "research" as such
Yep, this would be very hard to prove, but to me it seems that the game allows for some kind of "stockpiling".

For example, during one of my tests, I had a strong and fixed intel output, and my intel service struck exactly every 3rd turn. With a different amount of intel points, it struck exactly every 5th turn. Maybe a system is used that is similar to research.
And maybe this applies to intel defense as awell, at least to some extent.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Intel is like research. It accumulates. Thus you can 'save' intel.

btw, all saved intel is lost after a crash and reload. Some ppl know this and will deliberately crash a game thus making intel attack much much better after reload.
Osk
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Osk »

note from observation:

the game is surprisingly realistic. huge numbers of 1 facility will slightly reduce efficiency. your 20th factory will not contribute as much as your 1st. I cant find the games where i found this, but it does concur with random observations
Coracle
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Coracle »

RSE_Dissy wrote:This is it! What ruthlessferengi was looking for, what I tried to rewrite, this is it!

The ultimate botf strategy guide written by Aralon for Red Squad Elite!!!

Worship the leetness of this guide. Take it all in. This is the bible.
... except that Aralon wrote this guide while he was still in Red Squad Alliance and before you guys split and became RSE. :P

Later on we had a training academy and perfected the guide even more, with a total of 7 lectures on different topics. Unfortunately the data was lost when Geocities was killed. My own HDD crashed at some point, so my copy was also lost, and nobody I've asked seems to still have a copy.

Coracle RSA 9
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Coracle, Uncle BOTF needs you...

there is time for school, then there is time for work - new tourney is up for grabs - you'll relive you youthful days in battles, remember the lessons of the ancients, and will retrieve those notes from the rusty databanks of yours. so sign up dude! enough theory, lets play:)

rf
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
CaptLane_RSA_8
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: BOTF Guide - by Aralon

Post by CaptLane_RSA_8 »

Very similar to the battle guide we got for RSA....truly an honor, though, to read the battle guide for Chris and Dissy. Perhaps I can whip on some RSE while I am here....

CaptLane_RSA_8
beakytzw
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by beakytzw »

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me, I have had the game for a while and, stopped playing as i was always going in the red with Credits and could not make enough credits to do anything. How can i increase my revenue of credits guys?
zozozo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zozozo »

i always have money. build a lot of fabricators and have them manned and build trade centres too. do it over a lot of systems. always make treaties with minors as soon as possible and use your trade routes.
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Key is population support. Colonize, colonize, colonize. In udm, heavy colony ship gives u 100 mln pop to start with.
Build, upgrade, then scrap in vanilla and fluids.
Buy cheap stuff (orbs) on home planets with massive production, u'll get credit for the difference. Alternatively, lengthen production cycle for a ship by one cycle, so that at last turn u can pay say 100 credits for the turn, and get massive cash bonus.
Sign alliance, start trade
Keep ur morale up, All aspects of ur economy benefit.
Demands work only if race is favorable toward u.
Production bonus works well in bop, just put trade in order line...
Build trade centers
Good luck!
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

raid your enemies! :mrgreen:
or the best, get the ferengi to pay you 500000 credits for peace 8O
yes that happens sometimes...
still demanding 10000 and giving them half back if at all can give a great income, if you have the might to make them fear
or just do old style and upgrade and scrap your ships, but that's a rather cheating practice to those that aren't used to
CaptLane_RSA_8
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by CaptLane_RSA_8 »

Boy, I remember back when I was sent the gaming guide after joining RSA. Very similar....is Chris and Aralon still on here? Dissy, we need to play....mano y mano. :) I have not lost to an RSE yet.....
Ahhh, the memories....y'all have a great day and God bless!

AdmLane_RSA_9

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”