BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

Pisces
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Assaults failing. Please help?

Post by Pisces »

I'm playing the vanilla version of the game and have a question:

What does it roughly take to invade a planet of 200 population with no orbitals in terms of ships at Tech level 4?

I have been trying to assault planet Ktaria three times now with 4 troop transports plus 3 command ships and two destroyers and apparently that's not enough.

it's very frustrating. Please help?
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Re: Assaults failing. Please help?

Post by cleverwise »

What level are your transports? It is important to check the ground defense of the system. You may do this by hovering over the system and in the box you will see the ground defense number like 350 or 1200. Your transports also have a ground number too and level 2 transports are MUCH higher. Your total transports assaulting a system should be at least double + one.

So again if the number for the system is 350 you need 701 in transport "combat" numbers. If there are defenses you should have at least one command level ship per powered battery. Finally make sure command ships are on top of your list with transports below as ships on top are hit first by batteries.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Pisces
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Pisces »

The transports are level one. I didn't realize they needed to be upgraded too LOL. I was too focused on getting the big guns hahaha.

Do I add just the command ship or add other ships as well? Apparently you can put 9 in a stack, so if I add 4 transports and one command ship I only have 4 slots left for other ships. So, do I take the destroyers and light cruisers out? or are they useful as well? I'm still working on getting strike cruisers but now that you brought up the class of transports I will go for those. Ktaria MUST be free!!!

it has one orbital btw. No idea it's powered but isn't it true that the AI will power up the orbitals the turn you arrive at the planet you want to asssault?
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Pisces wrote:The transports are level one. I didn't realize they needed to be upgraded too LOL. I was too focused on getting the big guns hahaha.

Do I add just the command ship or add other ships as well? Apparently you can put 9 in a stack, so if I add 4 transports and one command ship I only have 4 slots left for other ships. So, do I take the destroyers and light cruisers out? or are they useful as well? I'm still working on getting strike cruisers but now that you brought up the class of transports I will go for those. Ktaria MUST be free!!!

it has one orbital btw. No idea it's powered but isn't it true that the AI will power up the orbitals the turn you arrive at the planet you want to asssault?
A few things:
1. don't group warships and transports together; have them in separate groups.
2. make sure the warships group is before the TTs in the group list (the one on the left of the screen). Usually ships built earlier go before in the list but with the grouping there is some fuzziness. Orbitals will shoot on the the first ships in the list so you want them shouting at your warships not wiping out your TTs
3. have at least enough heavy warships attacking as orbital batteries. if you use scouts or destroyers they will get killed by the orbitals.
4. have enough TTs so their ground combat is twice the system ground combat.
then you will conquer in one turn; the assault topic has also been elaborated here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2774

Not all batteries are powered by the AI; the most i have seen was around 15 although the system had 25.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Yeah there is a HUGE different in ground combat for TT Level 1 and Level 2. You need many TT Level 1's to equal just one TT Level 2 so upgrade them before assaulting a system. I totally agree with Adi on fleet deployment. You should have a warship fleet (or more) and another for TT's. You want at least light cruisers but I generally assault with heavy's and command ships.

Do keep in mind you can rearrange your fleets in a system. So if TT's are on top no problem. Take a TT's out of the fleet on top which will place it below the warships then reassign the rest to the newly moved TT. That should bring your TT's down the list.

The key is to check that system defense number and make sure you are double +1 with TT's and have at least one warship per powered battery. If so you will take the system in one turn.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

cleverwise wrote:
Do keep in mind you can rearrange your fleets in a system. So if TT's are on top no problem. Take a TT's out of the fleet on top which will place it below the warships then reassign the rest to the newly moved TT. That should bring your TT's down the list.
That does not work; it looks like the rearranged TTs are at the bottom of the list but in the next turn, the one with the assault the game will recalculate the order and you TTs get into the front line;
You need to build the TT's last.

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”