Moderator: thunderchero

afc
Site Founder
Site Founder

Dissy's BOTF Strategy Guide

Post by afc »

RSE_Dissy's Ultimate BOTF Multiplayer Strategy Guide

T5

Back in the day of the MSN Gaming Zone the majority of players mostly played T5 due to it being fast and games can be finished within an hour.

This strategy guide focussing mainly on T5 however most of the strategies can be incorporated into lower techs, especially ship scrapping/upgrading etc, a minor race terraforming, etc etc. I will write detailed T2, T3 and T4 guides later...

-----------
MULTIPLAYER GUIDE
------------

In a t5 medium game your aim should always be to have 15-20 command class ships by turn 22(ish)!!

---------

1) Find Dilithium

In T5 MP your opponant will be amassing a huge fleet, for you to face him/her you will need all of your systems producing ships. Scout out dilithium and colonise/invade the dilithium system asap!

2) Pester the other major races for money

Once you have a fleet of 5-6 heavy ships you are ready to pester the AI for money. Position your fleet on their border, try to avoid upsetting them, send 10,000 credit demands at them until they start refusing, then go in and kill all their ships for experience.

You can demand money off multiple major races at the same time, this can radically increase your production power, in one game I had 27 kvorts, 9 scouts, and a number of TTs by turn 19!!!!!! (had amazing systems also :p)

3) Research

Visit research and select the areas you need to focus on, for feds, focus on heavy cruiser II, for fergs, focus on raider II, etc, etc

4) Intelligence

Intel points actually stockpile if your not using them, so if you want to defend vs intel as klingons, power all your intel structures from turn 1 to have greatest strength. As Card/rom this works equally well in offense.

When attacking with intel, leave 1% on internal, 1% on espionage, and 98% on sabotage, this will split the defenders fronts and increase your effectiveness. Focus on economic intel to hurt your opponant most. Military intel will steal you ships, but economic intel will blow their planets infrastructure to fuck

5) Conquering planets

This is easily done; if the planet has 6 orbital batteries, you can use 6 scouts as "flak" vs the OBs. Have the scouts attacking the system at the top of the sidebar, below, have the required number of TTs to get past defences, and at the bottom have 1 or 2 command class ships bombing the system to destroy the shield generator. This method should get you ANY system. With klingons, you can conquer ferengi super easy, with 6 scouts, 2 tts and 1 heavy per system.

The following ships survive orbital batteries but take damage: Card heavy cruiser, ferg war cruiser, romulan warbird
The following ships survive orbital batteries and take NO damage: Card battleship, ferg marauder, federation command ships

6) Morale boosting

Morale is key for your empire. If you see a minor race ship, leave a command ship in their system and hail the minor every turn, the minor will retreat every turn and if you don't kill the ship this battle will give you a morale boost every single turn

7) Phantom dilithium

This strategy works when you have too few dilithium for all your ship producing systems.

If you have 2 dilith, and 3 systems, you are building down 2 heavies in both systems and have a system you are not using.

If you have 2 turns left on 1 heavy, and 1 turn left on 1 heavy, u can use "Phantom dilithium" to buy a ship on your 3rd system.

The 1st heavy will be produced, the ship you just bought will be produced, and the heavy which had 2 turns left, will now be ready next turn, you have just used phantom dilithium!

Experiment with this in single player, skilled players can shuffle 4 systems production on just 1 dilithium!!

8 ) EDO TRAINING (beware; some players consider this CHEATING!)

(CLOAK ONLY)

The edo god, very strong innit! well, no, it can be killed easily by 9 kvorts. Did you know, if you attack the edo god in the first turn, then hail it (PROVIDING YOU HAVNT DAMAGED IT) it will hail back! and your ships will live, do this repeatedly and your ships will get the experience of fighting the edo multiple times, legendary kvorts anyone? Possible quickly with this tactic.

9) Ship scrapping!

Stuck for money? Simple: scrap a ship at a shipyard (providing it's not damaged) and you will get the credits back for that ship! Very handy when you have say 3300 industry in sol, and it takes 4 turns for a heavy cruiser but on the last turn it only needs 200 industry, well buy it when it has 2 turns left for 4000 credits and you will be returned the industry in that system, which in sol would be 3300!

Also, if you have a war going on very far from your homeworld, you can produce ships on your homeworld, scrap them, and use the money to buy a new ship right at the front lines of your war! I use this to produce Troop Transports on the front lines often.

On lower techs, for example t3, ferengi have an upgrade to light raider II available very very soon. On this tech level you should be massing tons and tons of light raiders, hold off the upgrade until you have your homeworld and 3 or 4 minor race planets producing light raiders in 1 turn. When you getting close to your desired number, upgrade them, and use a few of them. The rest you can scrap (bit by bit) and use the money to buy warcruisers, keep doing this until you have converted your fleet of light raiders into a fleet of war cruisers, then upgrade the war cruisers, start scrapping them and buying raiders/marauders etc. This strategy is perfect for lower techs allowing for a continuous upgrade of your starfleet.

10) Minor races + terraforming

In lower techs these are key! If you group a colony ship and a troop transport they will terraform any planet in 1 turn! Terraform a minor races system so when they "population jump" they fill the whole system! Always hold off membering minor races until they have reached maximum population, when they have reached maximum population leave it 4-5 turns before membering them (this allows them to build research buildings).

11) Combat tricks

When playing ferengi always keep TTs in your fleet, and if possible have strike/command and fast attack. Ferengi have strong torpedoes, having a variety of ship classes will increase the range the enemy is from you, allowing you to hit them with torps and avoid ramming!

When playing as cardassians, did you know, a destroyerII and a scoutII on ram, will kill a kvort? Mass a fleet of fast attack and a fleet of heavies vs klingons and RAM RAM RAM!!!!

Cardassians and feds have the highest hull levels in the game, and thus will be able to ram a kvort/warbird, and live to tell the tale!

Klingons: Have stronger phasers! Keep in close, charge, charge, charge, avoid bringing TTs to battle

In romulan vs klingon battles, bring an UNCLOAKED scout along, this will force the romulan fleet to decloak and hit your scout, giving your kvorts a free turn to hit them back!!!

---------

I have rushed this a little bit, RSE_Aralon wrote a strategy guide similar with great detail. I will update this gradually, eventually I will write in-depth tutorials for every tech level.

---------

As federation, your priority should be to member the betazoids asap, in order to help your Intel structures. On t5, research can wait until later as you have many ships which are strong and available right away (Heavy Cruiser, Heavy Destroyer II).. build these ships solely, and research (only a little bit) up to Heavy Cruiser II (long term plan)

If you want solid intelligence, power all your intel structures turn 1.

Rest of your populace allocate to industry.

Ignore giving population to research, just be sure u build theoretical simulators on all colonies and your research should tick by nicely.

Powering intel structures turn 1 will allow them to stockpile...

...this will help....
but unfortunately, feds are very weak vs intel.. and when playing in a multiplayer game vs card/rom/ferg you will have to defend.

Also, in intel management. Use 98% on internal security, and 1% on sabotage and 1% on esp vs your aggresor, this will make them take the back foot and maybe allocate more of their intel strength to defence. The 2% on two fronts is enuff to keep them alil busier hopefully avoiding intelling you full on

Hope this helps..

...and yes this would apply to mods, in terms of UDMIII, new structures are available, build phoenix on each planet etc to ensure maximum intel strength...

Have fun, hope the tips help
Deano23285
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Deano23285 »

Dissy's guide is great, this player hammered me in MP in only 50 turns
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

aralon's guide is better than mine - use it as your botf bible!
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Couple point to add:

The Edo God can be killed with 1 fed hc. Just press turn and the hc will circle without firing. Keep pressing turn and circling until you are behind Edo then fire with charge until it is dead. It will take awhile to kill it but it serves the purpose of taking away the Edo training that cloaked kling or rom get.

Ship scrapping: Your aim should always be to buy, yes buy, every ship you make. This is assuming you have enough dill, 3. I always try to buy my ships because, for ship making, you get the money back that your systems is producing on industry. This ensures you don't waste any money by just letting the ship come out the required number of turns.

I try to keep around 10k money at all times. This will give me enough money to buy ships. Experiment with buying and scrapping and you will produce huge fleets in no time.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

A trick in increase moral is to scrap a moral building on your home world and make it on one of your sister systems.

For fed, I always scrap Daystrom on Sol and make it on a sister. If you can make Genesis on the other sister, they each have 2 moral buildings. Privete farms being the other one.

Also, you don't need to power the moral building to get the moral effect for fed. The only one you need to power is the Federation Council building because that gives you +1 moral empire wide. But the Private Farms, Genesis and Daystrom you don't need to power.

For Card, you do need to power the Re-education Centres to get the moral effect.

Anything that increases your moral is good. More moral means higher production.
Zandbergen
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Zandbergen »

I tried to demand money from feds roms and fergs but it didnt work i had my fleet near their border and their attitude neutral, fleet uncloaked to be sure they detected it. Tried to demand but they kept rejecting. Maybe its because difficulty level was impossible??
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

I think you need to have a non-aggression treaty in place to make it work Zandbergen, along with the neutral or better attitude. At least it works better for me with the treaty.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Re: Dissy's BOTF Strategy Guide

Post by ruthlessferengi »

afc wrote:RSE_Dissy's Ultimate BOTF Multiplayer Strategy Guide

T I will write detailed T2, T3 and T4 guides later...

Have fun, hope the tips help
sometime soon would be a good time for that:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

oh you brought that one up :(

cor blimey i have some work :(

will check back when less busy
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

You should ask your question in the General Chat Forum again - like the description says - you can talk about anything there.

For your concern this thread here isn't the right place.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

amberiya wrote:the guy that I'm interested in just happens to be in the military?
You're a recruiter, needing fresh meat, right? :lol:
I believe people in army aren't different than others, ah, some may be little less intelligent. But sry, forgot you being at army yourself. :P
If you're really a girl, this men dominated forum is the right place to have some nice talks, just start a new topic in the general chat like Krazee suggested. ;)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Could you guys elaborate what's the point behind talking to spambots?

Don't take it as offense, but this is truly bizarre. Do you seriously expect spam/malware programs will note(or can understand?) your responses?

BTW: Why didn't security-code stop the bots?

I'm afraid that's just the beginning :x :x :x
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm could we use tribbles to detect bots Flocke? You know, like you can use them to detect Klingons...
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:BTW: Why didn't security-code stop the bots?
It's the captcha. It's too old (looks like it is at least 3 or 4 years old). but I mentioned this months ago...
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:BTW: Why didn't security-code stop the bots?

I'm afraid that's just the beginning :x :x :x
Well, if it's really the beginning of a bot invasion, I fear we are in big troubles.
But, have seen other, similar spam posts in other forums, turning out not to be made by a bot and the only other one I would have thought being made by a spam bot recently was the one asking for router help. Strangely that one edited it's post. Something uncommon for bots.
And normally spam bot posts link to some kind of weird webpages.

I think the one about the router problems has been no bot but someone that wanted to place some links in forums to get a better google rank or advertise the product or something. But havn't seen such a link here yet, so with some luck it turns out to be a real girl! :lol:

No, I don't think so, but always expect the best. ;)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

please unless you are posting on dissy guide do not post on this subject.

bot talk only brings more spam.

thunderchero

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”