BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

rflash
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

t3 vs t5 on huge maps

Post by rflash »

Hi all,

For the last few years I have been playing the game with the following modifications : using UE I modified the size of the galaxy according to the recommended chart, so I'm now playing on 52x39. I modified the minimum population to 200 and the max to 500 (biggest planet I saw was 615) and the max planets to 9, while removing the non population type of planets (gas giants). The average size of planets across the Universe is between 300 and 350. Using this setup I played me on tech 3 and all the other empires at tech 5 on impossible with no minors. I've won the game with all races except the Cards because I was really unable to find a way to get the research going.

The easiest race to win with were the Ferengi. I was kind of surprised by that. The ability to buy everything after a while (all structures are dirt cheap) and the morale bonuses they get help a lot.

Second best - Romulans. They also have cheap structures and second best research. Getting +100% to energy research helps with getting the simulators earlier and by that time I can put them in at least 10 systems. Cloaked scouts will help with morale by winning plenty of skirmishes. They have the cheapest colony ships and transports, so expanding is very fast and you can pick the best colonies first.

Klingons and Feds are harder to win with. For Klingons research will be slow, plus they get only +1 morale for every new colony. The big plus is that you can make plenty of credits with ship scrapping after an upgrade. While you have the best research with the Feds, reaching Energy 6 takes a bit more then Computer 5 and you don't make as much credits with ship upgrades as the other races. Intel is also a problem.

My biggest problem is that the AI doesn't grow as fast and as much as it should. In maps where I'm isolated it can take over 200 turns to meet anyone. Second problem is that the AI defends very poorly. With large empires not even fleet of Raiders or Defiants can patrol your perimeter. I was able to launch a 2-3 prongs attack and cripple their best colonies while avoiding their fleet. I even managed to isolate a huge fleet by destroying the outposts behind it and then doing a suicide attack in which I killed all the transports. What can be done about it ?

I also want to know if other people played in similar conditions and what they think about it.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Re: t3 vs t5 on huge maps

Post by ruthlessferengi »

i've been playing t3 and t 4 mp on large med maps.... UDM 3 2 humans and 3 ai. AI does plenty of reaching out and expansion so it is important to keep it contained. the distances involved allow for some crazy strategic opportunities that small maps are not suited for and games are truly epic and have grandiose massive feel to them. managing 100 plus system is wet dream to micromanging maniacs so beware if you are not... but huge fleets, massive starbase fights are all fun and once you play human on large map, you won't be going back to the sand box of normal mapsl... AI does get very strong but it does not fight intelligently and you can outsmart it even if you start behind tech wise (T3 humans t4 AI).... try humans if you can - but hardly anyone has time or desire to play this game anymore sadly...
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
rflash
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by rflash »

In the mean time to make thing even more complicated I started a t1 vs t5, using a ring large galaxy. I'm in the center with Ferengi, the other empires are well spread on the ring.

I don't like most of the mods because they kill the Ferengi and I like playing them.

As for playing with humans ... who is willing to spend a month or more for one game ??
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

rflash wrote:As for playing with humans ... who is willing to spend a month or more for one game ??
Play small map high tech and you're done in 10 turns! :lol:
Regarding AI, it is kinda studpid and to really improve the ai it needs to be reimplemented. So long what can be done is improve it's cheating and AI starting conditions. E.g. play low vs. high tech on impossible mode. When it's in advantage it's more likely to act agressive towards you, same for smaller maps.
But afterall MP gaming with real minds is a complete different challenge.
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Love the ferengi:) try fluids mod. Most mp can be done in under 2 h on med to large maps. On large large different story so looking at multiple sessions... Try it won't regret it:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
robertbc73
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robertbc73 »

rflash wrote:Hi all,

For the last few years I have been playing the game with the following modifications : using UE I modified the size of the galaxy according to the recommended chart, so I'm now playing on 52x39. I modified the minimum population to 200 and the max to 500 (biggest planet I saw was 615) and the max planets to 9, while removing the non population type of planets (gas giants). The average size of planets across the Universe is between 300 and 350. Using this setup I played me on tech 3 and all the other empires at tech 5 on impossible with no minors. I've won the game with all races except the Cards because I was really unable to find a way to get the research going.

The easiest race to win with were the Ferengi. I was kind of surprised by that. The ability to buy everything after a while (all structures are dirt cheap) and the morale bonuses they get help a lot.

Second best - Romulans. They also have cheap structures and second best research. Getting +100% to energy research helps with getting the simulators earlier and by that time I can put them in at least 10 systems. Cloaked scouts will help with morale by winning plenty of skirmishes. They have the cheapest colony ships and transports, so expanding is very fast and you can pick the best colonies first.

Klingons and Feds are harder to win with. For Klingons research will be slow, plus they get only +1 morale for every new colony. The big plus is that you can make plenty of credits with ship scrapping after an upgrade. While you have the best research with the Feds, reaching Energy 6 takes a bit more then Computer 5 and you don't make as much credits with ship upgrades as the other races. Intel is also a problem.

My biggest problem is that the AI doesn't grow as fast and as much as it should. In maps where I'm isolated it can take over 200 turns to meet anyone. Second problem is that the AI defends very poorly. With large empires not even fleet of Raiders or Defiants can patrol your perimeter. I was able to launch a 2-3 prongs attack and cripple their best colonies while avoiding their fleet. I even managed to isolate a huge fleet by destroying the outposts behind it and then doing a suicide attack in which I killed all the transports. What can be done about it ?

I also want to know if other people played in similar conditions and what they think about it.
You just mentioned doing so manything things I wish I knew how to do. LOL! I just use the Ultimate Dominion complete conversion mod currently. For the record I have found a 710 system once, about fell out of my chair.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”