Training Transport & Colony Ships

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Training Transport & Colony Ships

Post by cleverwise »

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with training colony and transports ships. You can select training for them if they are in a system that contains a training building but is there any point?
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Training Transport & Colony Ships

Post by Flocke »

unless you go for ramming borg cubes with your colony ships, not that I know of
and for ramming I'm not sure either :roll:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

here is what I found,

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=74
Gowron wrote:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Is it really true that crew experience has an influence of the functionality of colony ships and/or troop transports beside of tactical combat ?
No, the terraforming rate of colony ships and the ground combat strengths of troop transports are both determined by the "production" value in shiplist.sst and do not change with the crew experience level.
Gowron wrote:
Badbru wrote:However on this matter of TroopTransports and their experience level, if it has no effect on ground combat does the crew experience carry over to outposts and/or starbases built with Veteran or Elite TroopTransports?
No, outposts/starbases do not have experience levels, so any training effort would be "wasted".
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:
Badbru wrote:TroopTransports and their experience level
Gowron wrote:any training effort would be "wasted"
Indeed TT experience could be even a disadvantage.
In my(not scientifical) experience, sometimes orbital batteries prefers to attack more experienced ships/task forces. :?
thunderchero
CommodoreGray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CommodoreGray »

It does make the ships harder to destroy thanks to damage control and more defense, so if they get attacked experienced transport ships are more likely to escape.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

CommodoreGray wrote:It does make the ships harder to destroy thanks to damage control and more defense, so if they get attacked experienced transport ships are more likely to escape.
Yeah this is what I think also since ships with more experience (training) do fair better in battle. Although in general the ships should be in treat mode. Still that extra training could be the difference between getting away and getting destroy.

I don't think it is necessary to train before sending out if you really need the ships but if you have some built that don't immediately have any tasks and they are in or near system with a training building I guess it doesn't hurt.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

cleverwise wrote:
CommodoreGray wrote:It does make the ships harder to destroy thanks to damage control and more defense, so if they get attacked experienced transport ships are more likely to escape.
Yeah this is what I think also since ships with more experience (training) do fair better in battle. Although in general the ships should be in treat mode. Still that extra training could be the difference between getting away and getting destroy.

I train non-combatant vessels (troop transports and colony ships) -- when I have the opportunity -- for that very reason. It may not help very much, but it certainly doesn't hurt, and it might just make the difference between survival and destruction.

cleverwise wrote:I don't think it is necessary to train before sending out if you really need the ships but if you have some built that don't immediately have any tasks and they are in or near system with a training building I guess it doesn't hurt.

Same here. If for whatever reason I have support vessels sitting around with nothing better to do (it does happen, albeit infrequently), then they might as well spend that time training.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”