Vanilla Race Balancing?

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Vanilla Race Balancing?

Post by thunderchero »

the stbof.res holds ship files hob, tga and gifs
the trek.exe has the phaser slotused by the hobs

UE expects the stbof.res and trek.exe to be in same folder. so if you open c:\botf\vanilla\stbof.res it would ask to save c:\botf\vanilla\trek.exe but if you open c:\botf\UDM\stbof.res it would ask to save c:\botf\UDM\trek.exe

When I created the ships for UDM I used a standard 8 phasers so 3 models could share a single phaser slot (all scale values must match to do this)
see this tutorial for more info
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... s-using-ue

as to scale of model it is relative to other models and can only be seen in game.
Note; if you only use models from UDM they should be correct relative to each other. but any other ship may need to be adjusted.
note; see tutorial above on how to adjust scale, but all ship on same slot will change.

this page will have other helpful tutorials
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/cate ... ow-to-botf
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

stupid question:

Scale must match when importing/overwritng?

or must be the same for all on the same slot after that (adjusted after import to match)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

example
importing new model of nebula to old nebula (hm2) scale and phaser does not matter or need to match
rename hm2 to h
this will open 2 new blank slots h_ and h__
h_ and h__ must match exact scale and phasers as h
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

okay so i simply replace as many vanilla ships as i want with UDM ships.

they are all phaser8 anyway.

then if i want to edit scale they need to be the same scall for each slot. e.g. if i want to add small ships like peregrine they might be lower scale as long as the entire slot is lower scale. sounds easy.

then i export stats from fluid in a excel sheet as a reference and change it to match canon. When i export the stats overview, weapons are like 5x30 or something so i need to manualy change it to =5x30 = 150 so that i got a calculatable value in the sheets. that one sounds like a bit of work.

but overall it should stay stable because its vanille exe with new ships and stats, nothing more nothing less. thentrek.exe and botf.res copiing to other gameranger player. the botf.ini does not matter i guess.

@thunderchero :up: :mrgreen:
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

oh got another question...

i was replacing vanilla models with UDM models... i did not add ships but replacing (import) them and got over 127 paletts..?

How do i replace or delete ship models so that i do not more ship models in but stay <127?

want a bit more ships then in vanilla...
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am then i export stats from fluid in a excel sheet as a reference and change it to match canon.
I have used excel spreadsheets also but never had on for that mod.

now these are very difficult to edit but here is an example of the one I use
ECM_mod_ship_statistic.zip
(239.76 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
this was created for ECM but was never used so it is close to vanilla
Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am the botf.ini does not matter i guess.
the stbof.ini must stay in the same folder as it is installed but this also goes for the trek.exe and stbof.res
the trek.exe has code for each location written in registry used by game and by directplay for multi player games
each install is edited by installer to keep track of locations.
Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 am i was replacing vanilla models with UDM models... i did not add ships but replacing (import) them and got over 127 paletts..?

How do i replace or delete ship models so that i do not more ship models in but stay <127?

want a bit more ships then in vanilla...
you need to keep track of the gif's no longer in use and use the "remove" button in the palette page
also it will help to use the "trim palette list" button if you have matching palettes.

example if you replace hm2 model you could remove hm2_a.gif, hm2_b.gif, hm2_c.gif
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 am
Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am then i export stats from fluid in a excel sheet as a reference and change it to match canon.
I have used excel spreadsheets also but never had on for that mod.

now these are very difficult to edit but here is an example of the one I use

ECM_mod_ship_statistic.zip

this was created for ECM but was never used so it is close to vanilla
Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am the botf.ini does not matter i guess.
the stbof.ini must stay in the same folder
Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 am

you need to keep track of the gif's no longer in use and use the "remove" button in the palette page
also it will help to use the "trim palette list" button if you have matching palettes.

example if you replace hm2 model you could remove hm2_a.gif, hm2_b.gif, hm2_c.gif
okay so even when i replace a ship in the slot, the gifs remain and i need to remove and trim them without delete something important like a black hole texture.

to prezice the botf.ini question... it is not changed when UE changes botf.res and trek.exe?

Because i now copied trek.exe and botf.res to UE folder and changing both of them so that i can switch between vanilla and my mod later...
The question is basicly do i need a copy of botf.ini with my copied trek and botf.res as well to have 2 seperate mods, switchable by exchanging trek.exe and botf.res and (maybe) botf.ini..
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 am to prezice the botf.ini question... it is not changed when UE changes botf.res and trek.exe?

Because i now copied trek.exe and botf.res to UE folder and changing both of them so that i can switch between vanilla and my mod later...
The question is basicly do i need a copy of botf.ini with my copied trek and botf.res as well to have 2 seperate mods, switchable by exchanging trek.exe and botf.res and (maybe) botf.ini..
the stbf.ini is not edited by UE, it is edited during game play to update current settings such as tech levels, volume, borg on or off ect
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

oh that ECM.excel could actually save me a whole lot of time. :up:

So ShipsTOtal strenght include defense + offensive value... does it also include other values such as range, speed, maneuverability and cloakability?

so Total Strenght / cost = efficency value (strenght/cost ratio)
(wheather or not you want to buy that ship).

The highter the efficency value the better the ship is. e.v. heavy klingon cruiser.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Mr_Sloan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am oh that ECM.excel could actually save me a whole lot of time. :up:

So ShipsTOtal strenght include defense + offensive value... does it also include other values such as range, speed, maneuverability and cloakability?

so Total Strenght / cost = efficency value (strenght/cost ratio)
(wheather or not you want to buy that ship).

The highter the efficency value the better the ship is. e.v. heavy klingon cruiser.
those value auto calculate on that spreadsheet read at bottom on what values can be edited it is color coded

it uses the Racial Boni Manipulator tech levels and many other factor to calculate most values

TBH Mentat created the original spreadsheet for UDM and I have just edited them for other mods.

Example adding a new ship line take some time to re-direct proper modifiers.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you will also notice it has 2 other pages import and cvs those are used by this
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2710#p37706

but all pages must be correctly setup before importing or will have errors since all pages are linked together.
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

that sheet can be used to reimport into the game without manual editing? cooooool.

okay replacing ships in UE
then replacing stats in sheet (which will be an affort, to understand and do it) but with that tool its faster then doing everything by scratch.
Mr_Sloan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr_Sloan »

hm...... interesting.

the MPR++ includes a mod. lot of canon ships in botf.res... so much fewer work when starting from there...

also even thought with dxwnd birth is playable, with MPR++ the turn processing is much faster.

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”