Info About Stellar Objects

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

deSignAtion_mooGi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Info About Stellar Objects

Post by deSignAtion_mooGi »

I know this may seem unnecessary to some however, I presently do not have the game installed and it's been a long while since I've played.
I have looked in the game manual, various strategy guides, and the forums - and I cannot find any sort of detailed information regarding stellar objects.
From memory, a lot of it has to do with navigation/radar.

So, from an unmodified gameplay stand-point, I wanted to ask about the stellar objects (nebula; neutron star; x-ray pulsar; radio pulsar; and worm holes), and how they've been programmed to behave.

If someone is willing to take the time, I'm looking for an answer that's not so much a general summary, but an actual detailed description of
what each object does over the course of a few turns. Please answer as if I were complete noob (which is sort of true)...

Additional thoughts if relevant;
*If two stellar objects are adjacent to each other, and their effects apply beyond their own square, does that effect combine/stack/increase?

or to put it plainly;
*How does each stellar object interact with each other - if at all?

I realize my request is profoundly nerdy. I figured, what the heck lets give it a shot.
Thanks in advance. :smile:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Info About Stellar Objects

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Galaxy generation default star/anomaly ratio is 5/6:
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=11#p12

Probabilities for each anomaly and of wormhole connection ratio not yet analysed (afask).

Note that during game development each sector could contain more than one stellar object i.e. star systems and anomalies but this feature has been discarded (cf. unfinished system bonuses and building requirements).

Pulsar Patterns (scan perturbing):
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=58#p404

Scan perturbing effects of anomalies are cumulative:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=58#p33467

Neutron Stars, Black Holes (Damage)
viewtopic.php?f=163&t=59#p405

Nebular & Black Hole effects in tactical combat:
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=66#p46291
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
deSignAtion_mooGi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by deSignAtion_mooGi »

Thanks Spocks-Cuddly-Tribble, I appreciate your response.
However, let me try to clarify and ask this in a different way. My inquiry has nothing to do with game mods or editing values.
At this stage, I do not have any familiarity with hex-editing, numbers, codes etc.
It is difficult for me to derive what the standard game effect is and get a complete understanding from the links you've provided.
A thousand apologies, I don't mean to cause offense.

So, for each of the stellar objects;
*From start to finish, what is the standard game effect? What does it do - or what can it potentially do?

Let me highlight the confusion. The X-ray Pulsar pattern info for example.
...{Period length = 4 turns} That's four game turns right. I must assume the effect is on a continual repeating loop, applied from the beginning, when the map is generated - and that there's no periodic change in that objects behavior? Is every X-ray Pulsar on the map the same?

...{Regarding which squares it affects} Is that all adjacent squares (including/not-including diagonal) all at once, or separately one square at a time (clockwise/anti-clockwise)?

...{The -2, -4, -8, -16, -32, -48 values} I assume these are the standard default values (no Hex-edit/UE changes)?
Additionally do those values combine and change if another pulsar/stellar object is nearby? What does that look like?

Sorry for being so finicky, perhaps no one has bothered to analyse these elements to this degree before.
I would like, if possible, for the "effect/behavior" to be explicitly stated and described as opposed to being implied from numbers and code data.
:smile:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

No need of coding skills but simple deductive logic and basic maths. All your above assumpions are right. Just look a bit closer -> center letter is the pulsar sector.

More elaborations on map objects: http://flocke.bplaced.net/botfwiki/inde ... ap_Objects

To explore some of the questions I'd have to install the game and test (not going to happen), e.g. turn 1 starting pattern of all pulsars equal or randomised?

Studying the links and at the same time testing the game using F-11 cheat is your path to the hidden wisdom...
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Not everyone is into studying the code to figure this out, some just want a nice table handed to them that explains in plain language what each anomaly does. Like the manuals do in other games.

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”