Post by Flocke »

DCER wrote:Flocke update the info ;)
Yes, Sir! :)
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

I'd like to raise a serious point here.
As it is now, we can change the player race in UE for any savegame file, but this won't affect the AI settings. This leaves the playerrace from the initial save without AI and keeps the AI developing and exploring for the new set player race.

The question would be, how can one transfer the AI from one Major race to another?
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Mentat wrote:The question would be, how can one transfer the AI from one Major race to another?
That's quite complicated and noone has figured it out yet.
I failed on this as well, but I'm sure there is a way.
I think it just needs some (or much) more analysis of the saves.

sry, can't help :(
NCC1707C
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by NCC1707C »

This may sound like a very basic question, but how do you get UltraEdit to extract a sav file? All I can get it to do it open, which does not look like you describe. Thank you.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

You need this to extract the files: viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22&start=0

Open the save game then go to Edit->Other->Files

Then you can open those files with a hex editor. After you're done add them back into the saved game with Ultimate Editor.
NCC1707C
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by NCC1707C »

I must be doing something very wrong. There is no edit other files as a choose.
Is there a step by step example somewhere that I can view.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I'll walk you through it.

1. Run Ultimate Editor by double clicking on UE or UE.jar
2. Go to File->Open, select a saved game (file ending with .sav) and click open

3. now you'll have additional options under the Edit menu, go to Edit->Other->Files

4. Find the file you're looking for on the list, select it then click on Extract. Select the directory you want to extract to and click Extract.

5. Open the extracted file with a hex editor and do your changes

6. Click on Add in UE (in Edit->Other->Files), find the file you extracted before and click Add

7. Click File->Save, to save changes

Hope this helps.
Last edited by DCER on Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NCC1707C
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by NCC1707C »

Thank you for all of your help. The problem always arises under part #3, where no Edit Other Files appears after I open a sav file. I wish that there was some way to add screen prints or attach files to show you. Thank you again.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

NCC1707C wrote:how do you get UltraEdit to extract a sav file?
NCC1707C wrote:I must be doing something very wrong.
You aren't trying to do this with UltraEdit, are you? :lol:
If you are using it, read DCER's answers again, follow his link and download UltimateEditor instead. ;)

btw, showing pictures is easy, just search for a picture upload page in the web or use a file hoster like rapidshare or 4shared, upload your picture and link it in your post. You could start a discussion in the Off Topic (Edit: oops, we don't have one, so General Chat must fit) section about preferred pages, I think there is none yet...
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I just realized I made a slight mistake in my post above. I wrote UE.exe instead of UE.jar. Sorry if it confused people. Will fix.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: all about editing savegames

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

GshipList
Flocke wrote:Offset 0x002A to 0x002B = shipID
Offset 0x002C to 0x0037 = unknown
…
Offset 0x0044 to 0x0047 = crew training displayed points beside ship icon in fleet panel
…
Offset 0x0052 to 0x0055 = ship type (in same order as in stbof.res and UE)
All in all great work :), but please doublecheck 0x2A & 0x52.

Experience bonus for (barring inconsistencies due to bugs):
0x2C = Beam Accuracy
0x30 = Torpedo Accuracy
0x34 = Defense

0x44 = Crew Experience Level (0=green,.. , 4=legendary) accessed for stars, raid, intercept & damage control.

0x52 = shipID (shiptech/shiplist.sst)

I don’t think ship type (00/scout, 01/destroyer…) is stored in the GshipList. So the questions is: 0x2A = ? (shipID see above). Or do you mean some sort of internal ID e.g. in order of production date (or position in tasforce)?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:All in all great work :)
Thanks. :)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:0x52 = shipID (shiptech/shiplist.sst)

I don’t think ship type (00/scout, 01/destroyer…) is stored in the GshipList. So the questions is: 0x2A = ? (shipID see above). Or do you mean some sort of internal ID e.g. in order of production date (or position in tasforce)?
The shipID I'm talking of is to identify the ship as a single individual object throughout the whole game, just like a production date, right, and you won't find a second ship with same ID, no matter which type or category or race.
(If you find another one, it's the data fragments of later turns I've talked about which didn't get deleted when ships got removed and kept as outdated double entries in the end of the list)
I can understand you've called the "ship-type" I've been talking of an "ID", but it's an ID for the ship model and for the ship construction - the ship stats. I prefer calling it a ship type and would call it the category to differenciate whether it's a scout or destroyer or command ship or whatever. But if it's clearer, tell me how to name it. I didn't like "model" cause I know the 3D models partially are shared so the term "ship model" is already in use as well.
But 0x2A will keep "shipID" cause it just makes sense and is used to identify objects throughout different files of the save just like all the other IDs mentioned... :)

Edit: Actually, the shipID you think of doesn't identify the ship, but the manufacturing type - that's why I called it a type.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Thanks for the explanation.

It isn't a matter of the "best" term, but shortest way to reach clarification. First reading I misinterpreted 0x2A=shiplistID, 0x44=stored as 1-5(number of stars) & 0x52=type/ship-function/AI-role.

The terms aren’t that important to me, but I’d suggest an additional referrence (or example) to establish clarity. For instance:

Offset 0x002A to 0x002B = shipID (NOT shiplist.sst ID)

Offset 0x0052 to 0x0055 = ship type (or ID same as in shiptech.sst)
(I refer here to shiptech and not to shiplist because shipfunction/AI-role isn’t stored there. So its clear what is meant.)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hm, currently too much work for me to move the whole topic to the wiki. I have updated first post instead. ;)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote:but hopefully you all add the missing parts
By your command: :)

EmpsInfo

Offset 0x0060 to 0x0063 = number of running dilithium sources
Offset 0x0064 to 0x0067 = number of ships under construction

GShipList - without “experience bonus for â€

Return to “editing Savegames files”