Quintaine's new Ship Modeltreat

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Quintaine
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Quintaine »

So hear is my Ship with lower Polygons :). The Ship are not looking good for me -.-!
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

can´t see the image, seems the link is broken

Live long and prosper
Quintaine
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Quintaine »

i don't know it. I see the pic.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

The saucer could use a better rounding, perhaps taking some polygons from the engineering hull would be more appropriate. Very nice so far, cant wait to see it textured :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

it doesn't look that bad, but I agree it could look better.
But wouldn't it be boring if it's so easy to become a professional 3d modeller? ;)

In blender, next to the "Object Mode" Selection below the 3d view of your ship, there's a selection (containing a brown box) for switching the render mode of your view.
If you set it to wire mode, it can help alot to see which faces can be combined to reduce the poly count without loosing further detail, so you get some free polygons to add detail in other parts.
However, this ship is quite complex and a round shape always requires many polygons.
For getting it to work with botf you'll have to do some compromise.

Maybe thunderchero could make a screen of his astonishing intrepid in wired mode, so you can get a better grasp on which parts need to be modelled and which parts can be done by texturing. I believe it's one of the best ships I've seen so far. :)

p.s. btw, blender 3d now has a new version with a completely different grafical interface. If you really want to learn blender 3d, you might better switch soon. :roll:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

here is wire of intreped

I also posted at bottom how I separate the glow areas for nacells

this model is 100% hollow (no overlapping parts) this model is 1578 polygons (all 3 point)

You may also notice the split down the middle of model this way I only have to edit right side, then model is mirrored left.

I hope this helps

thunderchero
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

sorry dude, i´ve tried to see in chrome, explorer and mozilla4beta, but still can´t see the image, don´t know why. Sorry can´t help you this time.

Live long and prosper
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:this model is 100% hollow (no overlapping parts) this model is 1578 polygons (all 3 point)
I knew you would read it and post a screen. :D
The nacelle is a very good example, but the saucer, true hollow! :lol:
Did you optimise the saucer by hand (before adding the detail) or use a filter to reduce the poly count?
Using the "Decimate" Modifyer or "Poly Reduce" Filter of Blender 3D, I know you can get such irregular meshes as well - if I remember right they often are even more obscure to optimise a round shape.

If it didn't help Quintaine, at least for me it's been a nice insight to your work thunderchero. Thank you! :)

p.s. btw, for duplicating the 2nd half of the ship, blender 3d offers the "Mirror" modifier - it really helps alot! However, I think Quintaine, you should learn some more on how to work in the edit mode of Blender 3d. ;)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote:Did you optimise the saucer by hand (before adding the detail) or use a filter to reduce the poly count?
Using the "Decimate" Modifyer or "Poly Reduce" Filter of Blender 3D, I know you can get such irregular meshes as well -
if I remember right they often are even more obscure to optimise a round shape.
I knew you would ask about this :wink:

The saucer in my first attempt did not look smooth at all. And I spent many wasted hours
trying to fix it. :x Then I started basicly over by taking what I had and flattened it
and aligned points narrower in back wider in front then raised all points evenly. then only minor
adjustments were needed. then added all details windows ect. But no reducer was used

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:I knew you would ask about this :wink:
hehe :)
thunderchero wrote:The saucer in my first attempt did not look smooth at all. And I spent many wasted hours trying to fix it. :x Then I started basicly over by taking what I had and flattened it and aligned points narrower in back wider in front then raised all points evenly. then only minor adjustments were needed. then added all details windows ect. But no reducer was used
Well, essentially what I meant with doing it by hand :roll:
I'm not experienced in filters either, but I'd suggest to try first modelling a more complex but smooth saucer base using a simple sphere primitive, then eventually use a poly reduce filter (i know 3dsmax has one) and afterwards add the windows and the bridge and other detail using boolean operations. That might (but only might) be easier - I'm not sure how well the result would be. ;)

To sum it up, noone here around is a real professional but maybe anjel who can't see Quintaine's images :lol: (maybe the image size is just too huge)
I'm looking forward to see your next results Quintaine, don't give up! :)
Forget about the texturing for now, first you need to improve your modeling abilities. Just go on modeling or do some tutorials or go reading the wiki I've shown ya - that's where I learned to use blender 3d. 8)
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

Flocke wrote
but I'd suggest to try first modelling a more complex but smooth saucer base using a simple sphere primitive, then eventually use a poly reduce filter (i know 3dsmax has one) and afterwards add the windows and the bridge and other detail using boolean operations. That might (but only might) be easier - I'm not sure how well the result would be.
I´m not sure wich modifier let you reduce the polycount, in my case i just start with a standard primitive (shape), and then make it more complex or just delete manually polys and vertices.
About using boolean, i don´t recommend it, because once you use it, the original shape start to create edges everywhere, and beside the polycount goes high, the shape isn´t so malleable then.

Quintaine, for the first attemp, it went really good !!!, now you´ll notice that the next ship you make, will be even easier, because from start, you have to analize which shape would you use for each section, and how complex would it be. Don´t forget an importan tip that mentioned thunderchero, always focus your attention in HALF of the ship, because after you are satisfied with what you´ve done, then you have to apply the mirroring tool, in 3dmax it is symmetry modifier.

Don´t forget to post your progress !!!!
Live long and propser
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hmn, I think I should illustrate using booleans by an example than.
Although I have to agree that booleans can cause a mess, often they are really helpful!

E.g. when you have a round shape like a saucer and want to preserve it but add some detail, moving around existing vertices or using extrusion or whatever always will immediately break the round shape!
Then you'll have a hard work to adjust everythink looking smooth again.

Instead you could create seperate objects and use boolean operations like "difference" that I've used in the following:

As you can see, the round saucer shape didn't get touched at all and just a few new lines for connection were added. Admittedly I had to remove some unused vertices and the original saucer due to the boolean implementation of Blender 3D.

Now, to remove some unimportant vertices, you can make use of a poly reducer. In Blender 3D using the "decimate" modifier will also cause all faces to be split in triangles.

In this case I used a factor of 0.86.
Still no visible detail or smothness got lost and that's just a work of a few minutes if you've done it a few times. (I did need alot more time - especially with all the new Blender 3D interfaces and controls :lol:) Afterwards you can still continue improving the mesh and I think it didn't become that unmalleable. ;)

But again, as I said it won't work all the time the way you want, doing it by "hand" of course gives you a more direct control but often it's also harder and more work. Make wise use of boolean operations is what I recommend - at least give it a try. :)

I think there are also ways to partially tweak the model on selected faces or vertices, but I'm not acquainted with it.

Now you can go evil on me cause I'm just a bad wiseacre. :lol:
Important is the result and you really are great at it.

cheers, Flocke
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Any update on this pretty hot starship?

Wouldn't mind using this ship for an upgrade to the Nebula Class.
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Quintaine wrote:Thanks Tethys and Army for your Comment :). I be happy so i read your Comments.

Hear is the Pic from a Postcard that I have many Years I have it. I hope i found the Ship in a Film or Game, now i have self Creat for a Game^^. Many hours I worked for this 3D Modell and now I finished^^. But I have a problem with the Texturs -.-. I can Convert in ftl or an another file. I hope the communety helb me with the Texturs. I was so happy when I can producet in Botf.
[/img]
It's the starship "Highlander" from a German fan project called "Raumschiff Highlander".

When anyone gets his hands on them I must warn him, the "movies" are terribly bad comedy and not really great.

There have been several radically different incarnations of this ship.
The one you have there is the only one I know of that looks like a Starfleet ship.
There once were specs for this ship in an old German Sci-Fi magazine called "Space View" as I remember it the ship was supposed to be massive and, since Starfleet was not allowed to design its own, equipped with Klingon cloaking technology.
However since it was supposed to really large, with a crew of 7500 people, one cloaking device was not enough so they put in two.

Return to “Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX”