Up the oldie, down the new !!! lol (K7 station)

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Up the oldie, down the new !!! lol (K7 station)

Post by anjel »

As i mention before, i´ve started with these new model, i´ve never done a station, so i asked tc how complex could i make it, well the top limit u followed as a rule was 5000 polys, up to know it almost there. So any suggestion and critics are weolcome, is it too squared ????... need to be more rounded shaped??... anything you want to say. Thanks in advance.
Here we go:

Want to thanks Flocke for his recommendation about using Boolean in Quintaine´s post. i was exceptical about using it, but in the matter of fact, was really useful, thoug it creates some edges averywhere and have to fix them manually, the work it´s even easier than welding vertices by vertices as i was thougth. :D
Live long and propser
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I love it. Damn near perfect if I say so myself. Not too square, just right :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Looks great. Now just make sure it shoots out tribbles instead of torpedoes. :P
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I have dreamed of this model for so long :D thanks Anjel for taking the time and effort to bring it to reality :D I look forward to the completed model.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

this station looks awesome, hope to see it ingame one day :)

p.s. peter, cause I don't get answer by mail or pm, why do I get so much spam from your mailadress, just got spam by the fourth time - last time I hit the link firefox blocked it stating it's categorized as an attempt of deception and potetial crime/phishing. Please solve these issues. 8O
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Yeah Ive been getting them too o.O
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

p.s. peter, cause I don't get answer by mail or pm, why do I get so much spam from your mailadress, just got spam by the fourth time - last time I hit the link firefox blocked it stating it's categorized as an attempt of deception and potetial crime/phishing. Please solve these issues.
not sure virus trying to resolve -- hence not emailing at the moment !! sorry just delete them please!
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

looks fantastic
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

@anjel: (copy of the message i tried to send, but failed to)

hi

sure. get it whenever you need it. thats what i have it uploaded for.

about the model and the vertices: have you already grouped your model into objects using your 3d editor instead of slicing in creator? according to the picture it seems to me, that the only part where you really have to slice in creator seems to be that cilinder thats stuck in the middle platform. the rest should be well by doing some smart grouping in 3ds max or whatever editor you use.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

Thank you very much Dr_Breen !!!! :D, i really apologies about the inconveniences you had about PM. I´m still strugling about the method you use when separate in craetor. The last models i´ve made, i had thunderchero guidance and could make more complex ships, thanks to the combinig faces tip he gave me.
And well, what i can say it´s when i make the model in 3Dmax, i make it in one piece, don´t separate anything.
So applying what i know for the moment, first i made an extensive poly count reduction in max, and when i say extensive, it was really painfull for me to watch how the model change and change to simplier shapes. This is because, the model i showed before was far to complex to export export it to botf.
And well, here we are now, some pictures to show the reduction:

Here is a last example, the first image shows a little more complex k7 station, just in their pods with a number of 6667 vertices in creator. And the second one shows the final reduction as the images showed above, with a number of 5977 vertices in creator total.
I don´t know if it worth the the complexity of the first one:

I´ll gladily accept critics and recomendation, as this is my first attemp to make a station and its a little bit more complicated than make a ship, or at least this one.... :mrgreen:
Thanks in advance.
Live long and propser
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Honestly Anjel, the second one looks just as good as the first one, and with texturing, Im sure you cant notice a difference. One thing I would do tho if I were going with the second, less polygon version, would be to move the line more toward the center of the saucer (example below) but the station itself is looking pretty damn sweet :D

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zg9c8o.jpg

In the example, the bold black line represents the smaller black line just underneath, so in effect you would be making the slanted side polygons larger while decreasing the surface area of their counterparts on the face of the saucer. Does this make sense? But, even without this slight and unnecessary movement, the station would look equally as epic ;)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I think you've nail this one anjel :) given the limits it's very good a little square but a good texture will obscure this :D keep up the great work !!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Any update on this? Im just itching to get my hands on it :D
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

:D don´t worry. It´s frozen by the moment, because i can´t reduce the vertices number to 5000 vertices allowed in the game. I could reduce the poly count a lot, without compromising the shell too much, but seems that the vertices count don´t. So i keep it on hold, so when i come back to fight with it, maybe some new ideas come to my brain and reduce vertices in places that i didn´t think about before.
And helping in Supremacy with a background image and my studies take most of my time now.
But i will definitly finish this one, because i want to redo the vesta and luna with common shared files soon.
Live long and propser
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Sounds good then. For now, I will use the stock Outpost model for the K-7 style stations. There wouldnt happen to be a nice Regula class outpost/reskin/remodel around would there?

Return to “Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX”