Scaled Daedalus 8 Phasor slots w/ 256X256 Textures soon

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Scaled Daedalus 8 Phasor slots w/ 256X256 Textures soon

Post by robert_defore »

Ok some folks already know about this since TC and Dr Breen and Anjel have been helping me figure out some glitches I have had. I know the first Daedalus was done by Siggi if I am correct, but it used an odd number of Slots and was not sized with out new scaling standards.

I hoped to get some feed back as to how this is for a first ever 3d model and Texturing attempt. Below are some pics. I tried to add navigational running lights but it really screwed up the Binary Seperation, so I have had to remove them for now.

Let me know what you think , and I will try to get this thing seperated and in the downloads tonight.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi robert_defore,

I corrected your link so it could be seen on forum.

you do know you can use multiple textures to give more detail.

also I should have posted earlier but there are other ways to convert models you might want to read up on this.

convert by face.zip

it is a text tutorial (not a video like Dr_Breen's)

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

I used two textures.on this version. It allows enough detail for this small and early of a vessel. I am also going to try and cut the palette to only one for the both of them at some point.

Right now , I am getting this odd invisible polys at the very front of the ship whenever I convert after applying the shading and lighting. I am trying to reslice and see if that helps, I may just release it without the lights just to give ppl a change to check it out and see what they think.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Here it is, could not use any transparency or it would give me a odd invisible polygon problem, but its lighted and uses 2 256x256 gifs with an idetical palette. Once you install with ultimate editor , go and make sure both of the new textures use the same palette.

Has 8 Phasor slots and is to scale according to the standards set down for the UDM mod.

Hope you guys like, is my first try!

Daedalus_Ship_Pack.zip
Last edited by robert_defore on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Very nice ship for your first attempt!

It looks pretty good.....I always welcome those brave people that have time, energy and skill sets to create those new ships :)
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Yes I am going to begin work on a new model soon, Just not sure what I would like to try first.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

dude, it´s just a wonderfull work !!!, as it is your first attempt i am confident the next ones would be better and better !!!
As tc mentioned, you could always use more than one texture, that will of course improve the quality. And regarding that matter, there are two textures for federation vessels, the "common shared textures" :

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... mon+shared

With this, you can save to the modders a lot of pallet space.
Keep up that enthusiasm !!! you have skills for this !!!
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Used two textures on this one. It took me a while to learn how to use multiple textures in the 3ds Max UVW unwrapper. I will go back and add some more windows and detail lines in a while, would only involve a texture change.

I am also trying to add running lights to the hull. They where just adding too many extra polys. But I think I figured out another way just using a circle mesh and placing the texure on that and adding glow effects.

The real problem is , I am not an artist, so most of my textures are pictures that I have added color and detail to.

I am going to work on getting a Saucer from the TOS TMP eras modelled right, and then waro nacelles from both. At that point I can model several diffrent ship classes with the same parts.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i understand, with time, you´ll notice that modelling the mesh it´s the easy part, then unwrapping and texturing it´s another telling, takes more time, because you have to figure it out how to increase the quality of a ship in low poly. I´ve learned using photoshop a few years ago, because i´ve studied for that, but i´ll fully recommend to search over the internet for hull textures, each era has it different metals (for say something), then you have the common shared textures for thrusters and plasma nacells. Try to find textures from guys that don´t ask permission and modify them at the end, so let say that you´ve created your own texture for your purposes. 3Dmax has a nice metallic texture, of course you need to modify it in photoshop a lot, i´ve used it in the kelvin ship.
Once you started with the first model, you don´t want to stop anymore, believe me, it´s kind of an addction... :lol: just exhagerating :D

About running light, i´ve never done that before, so please post something about your findings too, i´m interested about that.
Live long and propser
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

I love addicted people!....when it comes to modding new ships :P
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

I installed your Daedalus ship and noticed that it runs backward, same thing with the Ptolmey Tug....anyway to fix them?
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Let me repost the link to the corrected files. I will edit this post shortly

Daedalus_Ship_Pack.zip
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Tks very much buddy
Tethys