Ptolmey Tug/Colony Ship (TOS) is here!

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Ptolmey Tug/Colony Ship (TOS) is here!

Post by robert_defore »

Since I use standardized hulls for major parts of my models, I am left only with the textures to create or find. The Ptolmeu is to be used as a Colony Ship or Early Transport. It is build pretty close to cannon, though the Nacelle Pylons are a little wide, I thought the ones in the Tech Manual looked way too small. Need to add some new details to the containder vessel

I give it an eta of initial release in 2 days from now. Here is a little sneak peak at what the untextured model will look like.

[img][img]http://img145.localhost-textreplaced/img145/8977/ptolmeycolonyship.jpg[/img]

Future Plans include a remake of the Constitution with 8 slots and shared texture and pallette. I will also try to bring the TOS Federation class to life, though be fore warned she will be bit much on polys I forsee. Afterwords some initial work on the TMP variants of these vessels.

edit: here is the new working link

TOS Ptolmy_Ship_Pack.zip
Last edited by robert_defore on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

This will be posted on my 4share account soon. Hope you'll enjoy these TOS ships. I will continue to release one regular until I get them all done , I hope.

Here's the Ptolmey Class Tug/Container Ship. I would use here as an early Colonyship or even an early transport.

link broken
use link in first post
Last edited by robert_defore on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

NIIIICEEEE work !!!!!! I do really like it !!! and the texture looks fantastic.
At this speed you would have done every TOS ships there´s left in a month or less :lol:
I´m anxious to see your new Constitution ship !!!
Keep up this energy, it´s contagious.... :lol: :wink:
Live long and propser
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

anjel wrote:I´m anxious to see your new Constitution ship !!!
Seconded
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Well the trick is, I am on Kidney Dialysis so I cant work, always sick and what not. So I have all this time to work on these models. I really need to put a little more work into the textures though, I just not an artist and paint is about as complicated as I can do on that front. I cant take credit for the basic textures, I just use what I can find.

If I'm not mistaken, you can change the texture with a simple replacement .gif and then use the UE to edit and register it right. So I can go back eventually and release an updated texture pack with all the detail work I would like.

I tried to convert some meshes from other games, but found it was actually easier to use them for ideas than to actually use there models

The trick to rolling the models out so quickly is to use the common parts for each ship and just resize and move as needed. For instance, after seeing Anjels mesh, I updated my saucer with the impulse engine module and set it as its own .3ds file, so now I can import it and resize for any Fed TOS ship, same with the nacelle and navigational deflector. So now new ships will just be mostly a cut and paste job.

I think the Klingons and Romulans would work the same way, basic parts cut and pasted togather with diffrent textures.

I will probably only do the cannon ships, if anyone has a request , let me know. I'll see if I can get it to work.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

sorry to hear about that, all i can say it´s that you must be patience, and focus all your energys to get better, and what your are doing now, it´s one of the best things you can do, to keep your mind occupied and don´t waste your time watching awfull nowadays TV programs. And i fully recommend to read the new Star Trek novels.
Your models are getting better and better, you´ll start to know where to maximize the efficience in time and modelling shapping.
About the textures, as i said, maybe it´s the longgest part to finish, and at the end it is what i call an artwork :D, don´t worry about customizing the textures, you are right, they are all basically the same, so, for the purpose of finishing quick, i think it´s all right, because what it matters too it´s the unwrapping.
Live long and propser
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Sorry to mention this robert_defore but this ship as well as the akula and daedalus seem to fly backwards in 3D combat, however other than this it was a joy to see your akula and ptolemy along side Anjel's K7 station fighting the klingons :)

Keep up the good work. Peter1981 :D
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Sorry bought that peter1981, I will correct this and repost these files. If you dont mind waiting till tomorrow I'll just release a pack with all those in it plus a new TOS Constitution I will have ready by in the morning. I was afraid something like that might happen, I need to edit a save game file so I can view the ships in combat and not just in the viewer.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

no worries they look really cool nioce texture :D -- bit like the fedz to be in retreat tho!
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Sorry I didnt get the new pack released when I said. i did correct the flight of the ships though, and tested it in combat this time. I found some better more detailed textures I think I will place on these before I release the new pack. The new textures should look much better, lots more detail.

One question though, how do you guys feel about textute maps that have the ship name and registration numbers on them. These are so high quality I am afraid I will screw up the textue if I try to edit the print off the hulls.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i think there won´t be any problem to let the numbers on the hull. At least for me... 8) Go ahead !!!!
Live long and propser
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

link is down :( wanted to see this fly forward ;)
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

bumping this since the link to the download location has been fixed
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Will be posting a new link soon. A remake of this model with new common textures and new model parts that have been developed since the first model was released. There will be 2 models as requested by Peter1981, one with a single module and one with double module. As a side note, I will test before release to make sure they fly the right direction.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Tks Robert

Return to “Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX”