TOS Constitution, 8 phasor slots

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

TOS Constitution, 8 phasor slots

Post by robert_defore »

I have been informed that my models fly crooked, so I will convert them tonight along with the ship many have been waiting on. The TOS Constitution. I will plan on spending about an hour updating the ship textures and fixing the pixilization on the hulls.

Oh, here is a look at the model.

the discoloration of the model behind the nav deflector will disappear once I have it textured.

Edit: Here is the new link, uses common palette with the Federation Class

TOSConstitution_Ship_Pack.zip
Last edited by robert_defore on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

lol, about the crocked ships, it happened to me a lot !!!, i´ve always forgot to modify the axis in max, in order to export it to creator. Though it can be changed in cretor too.
About the new constitution, looks fantastic, but i have some suggestions about the nacells, in the spherical points, i can see some "extruded" (sorry i couldn´t find a better word) lines. Maybe you´ve got some inside faces or extra edges, be carefull with that.
About that blurry area behind the disc deflector, grab a vertice from that poly, and move it averywhere you want as if you were stretching the mesh and release it and then press ctrl+z. Or just pick that poly, delete it and then cap it.
What´s the poly count till now ???
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Right now I am at 1050 Polys and close to 3000 verts. I am trying to redesign the bridge and removing the caps off the end of the nacelles to save verts. If I recall not all the TOS shots of the Enterprise showed the Caps on the stern of the nacelles anyway. Those are like 150 polys apiece.

I have been very careful to avoid the internal face issue. I simply extrude most shapes from something basic as to cut down on internal polys. The Bridge module needs to be reworked to use less polys and verts. I did an extrusion similar to the one Anjel used on the Saladin, but I am wondering if a independent mesh would look more rounded and use less polys.

I know the TOS Connie will convert I have converted the untextured model already, its the Federation Class I am worried about being down to size. I may have to not model the three seperate nav dishes on the bow and texture two of them in. But the good thing is the Secondary Hull is a simpler shape and will use less polys to create.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

post some images about your redisigns, i´m really interested in watching that because i can always learn things that i didn´t imagine or didn´t want to do because of lazyness :lol:
About the federation ship and the third nacell, well... that would be a quiet a challenge. It´s a good idea to replace some pieces with textures, you´ll have to give a try and then post the images so maybe we can help with some suggestions !!!!
Live long and propser
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

nacelles are to fat, to short and to high.
dhuttlebay needs to bbe a bit more pointy.
pylons holding the nacelles are a bit to thin.
Don't know whats wrong with the bridge section but it doesn't look perfect yet.
no offence but i want the connie to be perfect
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Yes the connie must indeed be perfect, and your right I didnt notice the pylons do look a little thin. I just was going by the measure ments given on the diagram I have. But the bridge I currently have is based off the one Anjel used on the Saladin. I tried to duplicate a couple of things he had done there in my own work. The bridge is just not the right shape, though the lab structure underneath is about as good as we can get given the limited verts and polys we can use.

I also was trying to use a version of his nav deflector, which is absolutely beautiful, but it uses almost 1000 verts, I removed the supprt and replaced it with a rectangle support and removed the pointy part off the dish and saved over 900 verts. The Bridge once finished will save me almost 300 verts.

I dont know why the nacelles look too fat though, they did look a little thinner with the bubble on the back, but that again was a call for verts and polys, just not worth 150 polys a piece to put those on there , and like I said before, half the TOS shots didnt include the warp bubbles anyway. I made them right from the measurements given in the TM and other sources confirm, and if Im not mistaken , the same nacelle was used on every ship type.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

how is going dude ??? i´m awaiting as if it were my present birthday !!! :lol:
post some images, so maybe we can help with suggestion in the process 8)
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Ok Im getting to work on this today. It will take a while as I have to redesign every hull part from scratch this time and I also have to relocate the textures I was using before. Once this is done I will start on the Federation class. Sorry I lost steam there for a while, I now have my energy back and am eager to get this done for you guys.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

don´t be !!!
Happens all the time, i´ve always keep a backup, in three different disc actually, or more i´m thinking now :lol:, because i took my work everywhere i go.
I like that energy you have !!! it will make you notice, that this time you´ll do an even better model and faster, it is gratifying.
I´ll be waiting for some pictures !!! :D
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Ok I feel that I have pushed the vert count as low as it will go on this one. Just a little north of the recommended 2500 limit. Will start on the textures tonight and then try this sucker out in BOTF and see how she looks. Here is a render from 3ds max just a little teaser.

As requested , I have fixed the nacelles to look correct according to the official measurements from the TV series model, then converted to meters for proper scaling. I also adjusted some of the secondary hull shapes to be more correct. And the bridge and lab module was a complete overhaul. She uses more verts in that area then the origional, but the teardrop shape and bridge shape are now very cannon looking.

I now await the critics, they are of course welcome to help push me in the right direction.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

sounds good to me...looking forward to see it when the textures are applied to it. It's also impressive how fast you have recreated your model from scratch. Keep up the good work!
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

sorry for the quick answers now.
I can´t see the images :cry:
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

I have the texture applied, I will post some pictures in a few hours. I am working on the lighting and shading in creator right now. Should be ready in a little while, I will post the ship pack as soon as I get it seperated and converted. I already have run the untextured model in creator for seperation, so I know the final vert count will be ok and that the model will seperate ok.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Here is the textured model. Ship pack will be on here shortly.

Ok hope you guys like this. It is of course scaled according to the UDM3 standards and it will use 8 phasor slots.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

About 15 minutes and I will update this thread with a link to the NewTosConstitution Ship Pack. I forgot to turn the ship the right way and its flying backwards. I really need to stop forgetting to do that.

TOSConstitution_Ship_Pack.zip

Here it is hope you like it!
Last edited by robert_defore on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX”