TOS Federation Class 8 Phasor Slots

Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

TOS Federation Class 8 Phasor Slots

Post by robert_defore »

Ok here is the "alpha" version of the Federation Class model. It actually has lower verts than the TOS Constitution I just released. Odd but the more simple secondary hull shape saved a huge amount of verts.

I worked a little quick on the saucer, so it doesnt look quite right. I may try to revisit the saucer if it still looks wrong once the model is textured and in game. That however is at least a few days off. I am now looking for the appropriate textures and will be working on that.
Last edited by robert_defore on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

looks very good so far, is it possible that the middle nacell looks thinier ???? why ???. About reducing the secondary hull polycount, i think it would be better to add just two "edges" (3dmax talking) from the end of the pillons, in order to give it more detail;

As you mention after, the saucer, the bridge main area looks odd, some little work and it would be ok.
And as you showed us with constitution, with textures would look much more better !!! :D
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Yes I think I can move some verge around and fix the saucer. Intact while appoint textures I chnged it and it looks better. The 2ndairy hull actually doesn't look that bad w a texture. The top nacelle is a higher resolution version. Its designed to show more detail than the other two low poly ones. I will finish the textures and see where we stand at that point. It still will push almost 2600 vets at the current state
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I would recommend a slightly more rounded nacelle/secondary hull, and perhaps a slightly less rounded saucer, to balance it out. This is just a suggestion however, its your model feel free to create it as you wish. It would, in my opinion, look better if all parts of the ship matched each other. I suppose when it gets a texture it wont matter, just minor nit pickin ;)

Good job btw, I really like your work :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

The nacelles are the same low poly nacelle I used on the connie. I used the high poly because it had face in right position to make the ssupport column. The hull looks lot better with the textures. I don't think it will be obviouse in game. But like I said this is just the alpha version
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

It looks great and we really need talent like you around here :D

Just a note, make sure you keep your models so they can be edited in the future, in case a "Historic Breakthrough in Computers" rears its head ;)
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Sure I am saving the models in both thier 3ds format and flt format. In fact I am not against releasing those files to the community if anyone wants to try and improve on these models in anyway, whether it be mehes or textures.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Here are some renders of the textured "alpha" version. See if it makes those earlier problems seem like less. In order to keep the vert count low, I had to texture the extra deflector dishes and the hanger deck.

I also may revisit the akula and ptolmy with my more current nacelle design and bridge design. Also I found better textures for them also.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Well I have the Alpha version ship pack ready to post to let you guys see it in action. After you look at it tell me if you still think the chnaged suggested need to be done and what if any other changes might be needed. 4shared is down for the moment so I must wait a little before I can post the link.

edit: here you go

TOSFederation_Ship_Pack.zip
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Very nice work! The textures did only a little for the boxyness of the hull and nacelles, but the saucer looks great, the shadowing is nearly flawless. No need to change it, unless you want to. I am grateful for people like you ;)
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

The problem with the boxy hull can be fixed in next version. I have to lower the poly count that way it will not slow computer to a crawl. If I had unlimited size you would have perfect round shapes every time. I was at almost 3200 verts on this and Ive been scolded already for making the models with too many verts, so I try any way I can to keep them low.

I kinda rushed with this one a little, I will revisit it shortly. I also noticed some bad stuff with my origional TOS Akula that will need to be redone with new and improved parts.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Added your ship to the Galaxy Mod....had to remove other ships in order to keep my pallets to 127. Gonna give it a try tomorrow during the day as it is already 0130 a.m here. Thanks buddy, so far from the ships screen it does look good.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I would compensate some verts from the saucer and place them to the secondary hull, but thats just me. Dont worry about it, Im sure you have enough work to do already ;) Good job nonetheless
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

As always Robert_Defore your work is excellent I've been wanting this for ages can't wait to see it next to the connie defending Anjel's K7 against several Klingon D7's :D !!
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

I was working on the Refit Akula from the TMP era. I will take some time today and see if I can easily redo the secondary hull with more verts. I figure I used so few that I can add some without too much trouble with the final vert count. I will post a few pics before I finalize this version so you guys can see if you like it.

Thanks for all the praise , I know I am very novice at this, and at times I get in too much of a hurry. But I am always willing to go back and fix the problems. Anyone who wants the 3ds model to look at or edit just let me know I will post them in my 4shared for you to pick up. I figure I owe you guys since yall have kept one of my favorite games going for over a decade!

edit: I am trying to use a common palette for all the TOS ships I do. I am going to redo the Akula, as I have some major improvements since I did that one, and I will try to use a common palette with this model and the Akula. Did all the textures from the Fed use the same palette, I cant remeber if I fixed the palette on it or not.

edit2: Ok the fed model adds 3 palettes. I will see if I can make them use a common palette. I thought I had done this but forgot since I did the work over several days. Keep an eye out and I will post if I succeed.

Return to “Showcase Ships/Stations/3D-FX”